It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Brain Dead Patients Could Be Brought ‘Back to Life’ in Groundbreaking Stem Cell Therapy
Researchers from U.S.-based biotech company Bioquark are aimimg to “resurrect” patients who have been declared brain dead. Yep, you read it right. ‘Resurrect’, just like those stories in the Bible. Really bringing back people to life.
It goes without saying that this is really a serious matter. More importantly, Bioquark’s small pilot study has been approved and gotten ethical permission by none other than the National Institutes of Health. The study would be an attempt to reawaken the clinically-dead brains of patients who have suffered serious brain injuries.
originally posted by: BomSquad
I remember reading about this in Scientists get the green light to resurrect the dead
It's interesting. It would be concerning as to whether the same person would come back or if they would be a "blank slate".
originally posted by: Boscov
a reply to: BomSquad
Consider the implications of:
1. The brain dead patient's brain cells and activity become active again, but the body remains in a comatose state. Thousands of comatose families waiting for them to wake up or medical advances that wake them up.
2. The brain dead patient wakes up with total memory. How would this impact religious opinions concerning one's soul, afterlife, God's will, etc. If the patient comes back completely revived and memory intact, did the soul ever leave? Does the soul exist? Are dead people lying in caskets with their soul still in their body waiting to be revived?
3. The brain dead patient awakens without any memory of his/her life, or understanding, or consciousness. Perhaps they are like cattle, or Zombie like, just survival instincts.
4. The brain dead patient awakens with someone else's memories! Reincarnation anyone?
5. The brain dead patient awakens and tells everyone they met (insert deity here) or they ALL say they met Jesus, everyone meets Jesus. Consider that chaos, and for some, relief. Of course, they could all meet Allah, or Buddha, or who knows.
I'm sure there are more possibilities, feel free to ponder your own and share if you like!