It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Dead Patients Could Be Brought ‘Back to Life’ in Groundbreaking Stem Cell Therapy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Brain Dead Patients Could Be Brought ‘Back to Life’ in Groundbreaking Stem Cell Therapy

Researchers from U.S.-based biotech company Bioquark are aimimg to “resurrect” patients who have been declared brain dead. Yep, you read it right. ‘Resurrect’, just like those stories in the Bible. Really bringing back people to life.

It goes without saying that this is really a serious matter. More importantly, Bioquark’s small pilot study has been approved and gotten ethical permission by none other than the National Institutes of Health. The study would be an attempt to reawaken the clinically-dead brains of patients who have suffered serious brain injuries.

More...

So let's say this works. First, let me just say....ewww.

Next, I think based upon the article, it wouldn't mean the 'same' person comes back. They seem to be reconstructing the brain through stem-cells. So essentially does a 'new' person emerge?

I can't even count the number of social, economic and legal nightmares that might cause....let alone the real nightmares.

wow.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I remember reading about this in Scientists get the green light to resurrect the dead

It's interesting. It would be concerning as to whether the same person would come back or if they would be a "blank slate".

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Bwahahahahah, resurrecting the brain dead so they can carry on as brain dead voters. (As if we didn't have enough already).

BRILLIANT!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

Thanks for pointing that out. I missed this the first time around.

(MODs pls kill this thread, if that is appropriate.)
edit on 7-9-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I believe (based on very personal experience) that any time any part of the brain is injured, it changes the person's personality to some extent.

I also think this is an amazing breakthrough. Some of the newer things they are coming out with for folks with brain injuries are truly amazing as well, such as "bringing people out" of comas with older meds like amantidine and then the hyperbaric oxygen therapy for brain injury and stroke victims. I'm thankful that advancements are being made in this arena.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I'm not sure about a blank slate, but my child survived a very bad traumatic brain injury and it totally changed him. Everything from how outgoing he was, memories he had, likes and dislikes....it was crazy. I had to totally re-learn my own kid.

For example, pre-injury he was a total chocolate monster - loved the stuff, just like any kid. Now? He won't touch it at all. Says its disgusting...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Many people have suffered terrible brain trauma, not been declared brain dead (or any other sort of dead) and come back completely different people.

There is no soul, who we are is the culmination of what out brains wired themselves to be over the duration of our existence.

So, I see nothing wrong with this... unless we'd be happier to let brain trauma patients and dementia patients just slip off this mortal coil because we are unsure of their 'personality'

This is why I know anything about us being with others from our past in the 'afterlife' is bunk. if anything, we're energy. possibly aware, but at a vastly different level to what we think we are in this meat sack we call a body. Our brains are fragile. we are fragile. takes very little to take what we are away, and still have a living, breathing, working, vehicle for the spark of whatever we are.

the soil does not contain the plant. it merely grows the seed.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Puleeze. Forget involuntary life support. Nobody's making my Momma into zombie!

I'm ordering a driver's license that reads "No Gene-therapeutic Zombification".

On the other hand, it might be kinda cool to see what kind of neuratypicalities might crop up after reviving a loved one. LIke a tendency to drool, or defecate loudly in the middle of sex or at the dinner table, or maybe with certain basic cognitive deficts, like able to count to 6, and from 8 up, but not the number 7.

All kinds of stuff might crop up...a whole new industry of medical research. I just love medicine!
edit on 7-9-2017 by Namdru because: think of the possibilities

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Saying and achieving it are very different. Nice hook though in the thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

You talk about not reviving your mother, then go on to say it'd be interesting to see how loud they defecate during sex.

I don't think you have the right things in mind...

edit on 7/9/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't know about brain dead but to keep down or heal a brain from alzimers would be very nice to see. Curing autism too. I'm assuming the longer the brain is dead the deaden it gets so I wouldn't trust it...we have enough zombies.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

You are right. I phrased it too indelicately in an attempt at dark humor. I did not mean to imply any such predilection on my part. This is all terribly objectionable, isn't it?

My point, sarcastically, is that such technology would, if it were ever in the wrong hands, be abused in some way. Any such medical technology -- such as can revive a dead or dying person -- is liable to abuse. Similar technologies include scopolamine, ECT and all manner of psychiatric drugs. Our belief in technology is worse than idolatrous, it's suicidal. See this series for a series of interesting meditations on how foolishly we worship various forms of science and "scientific" thinkers, and scientific thinking

The chances are that some people revived would be highly dysfunctional, some would be different people -- possibly with total amnesia but high functionality -- and some would retain more or less complete memories of who they were. What happens to first two groups?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Bwahahahahah, resurrecting the brain dead so they can carry on as brain dead voters. (As if we didn't have enough already).

BRILLIANT!

First to get resurrected would be Hillary Clinton? That would suck.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

If they can do this why not bring back people without serious brain injuries who are declared brain dead. They didn't say they can fix the brain just bring them back, seems wrong to me.

Your link does not work for me so I don't have the full story.
edit on 7-9-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Actually, a lot of people who are considered brain dead...are not. It is consensus of the time that corrals all similar symptoms into one category. Some brain dead people just wake up and are normal, many call it a miracle. I call it problems in the way diagnosis is done.

If the brain is being nourished and retains circulation, the information stored there is ok. The person will wake up and be the same. Every situation is different, they need to do more research into this in the medical field. I used to believe that brain dead was dead till I actually starting researching medicine and saw how it can be a false interpretation.

Restoring the link would be necessary, that is not always possible. A lot of those brain dead people cannot be revived.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Consider the implications of:

1. The brain dead patient's brain cells and activity become active again, but the body remains in a comatose state. Thousands of comatose families waiting for them to wake up or medical advances that wake them up.

2. The brain dead patient wakes up with total memory. How would this impact religious opinions concerning one's soul, afterlife, God's will, etc. If the patient comes back completely revived and memory intact, did the soul ever leave? Does the soul exist? Are dead people lying in caskets with their soul still in their body waiting to be revived?

3. The brain dead patient awakens without any memory of his/her life, or understanding, or consciousness. Perhaps they are like cattle, or Zombie like, just survival instincts.

4. The brain dead patient awakens with someone else's memories! Reincarnation anyone?

5. The brain dead patient awakens and tells everyone they met (insert deity here) or they ALL say they met Jesus, everyone meets Jesus. Consider that chaos, and for some, relief. Of course, they could all meet Allah, or Buddha, or who knows.

I'm sure there are more possibilities, feel free to ponder your own and share if you like!

edit on 7-9-2017 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
What if your Muslim and your busy enjoying all those virgins and get brought back .
edit on 7-9-2017 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad
I remember reading about this in Scientists get the green light to resurrect the dead

It's interesting. It would be concerning as to whether the same person would come back or if they would be a "blank slate".

That's my question too. If the brain has died and those complex neural networks are breaking down, the essence of who we are is being eroded.

My educated guess is that depending on how quickly and completely this treatment could work, the best you could expect is a part of the former person is restored aka they would be a classic amnesia type patient. Worst case scenario would be an adult baby ie they have to relearn everything, including how to walk and speak.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscov

Consider the implications of:

1. The brain dead patient's brain cells and activity become active again, but the body remains in a comatose state. Thousands of comatose families waiting for them to wake up or medical advances that wake them up.

2. The brain dead patient wakes up with total memory. How would this impact religious opinions concerning one's soul, afterlife, God's will, etc. If the patient comes back completely revived and memory intact, did the soul ever leave? Does the soul exist? Are dead people lying in caskets with their soul still in their body waiting to be revived?

3. The brain dead patient awakens without any memory of his/her life, or understanding, or consciousness. Perhaps they are like cattle, or Zombie like, just survival instincts.

4. The brain dead patient awakens with someone else's memories! Reincarnation anyone?

5. The brain dead patient awakens and tells everyone they met (insert deity here) or they ALL say they met Jesus, everyone meets Jesus. Consider that chaos, and for some, relief. Of course, they could all meet Allah, or Buddha, or who knows.

I'm sure there are more possibilities, feel free to ponder your own and share if you like!

Doctors already have a classification system for consciousness:
www.momsteam.com...

People have already returned from states of deep coma - describing their white fluffy pillowy world of being in a hospital bed.

Some people with "locked-in" syndrome were fully conscious but all motor control for muscles was gone or paralyzed. They didn't know where they were until brain scans revealed they were conscious and were able to hear, see and think.

www.nysrighttolife.org...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Wonder how it will work on GAPS...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join