It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wonderful Moon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Last night here on the East Coast of Australia we had an amazing full moon, I led outside an looked at it for a while, as usual, in awe of the close beauty of our solar system.

Seeing the Moon, when I have time to observe and think brings mixed emotions, I will never walk on another celestial body but some of us have already done it.

Tonight, another full Moon I took 30 minutes just to lie down and watch it, seeing how far away it is and recognising what is absolutely the greatest thing mankind has ever done, to land people on there and return them safely (in my opinion).

I am a true believer it was done, the USA landed people on the Moon, so this is not a thread about that, but more of why we need to get back there.

I agree that the once the USA had achieved it, the cost and risk of going back was pointless, at the end of the day, we live on a planet with many countries all competing for dominance or at least to protect themselves from each other, regardless of whether you think the USA are war mongers, rest assured, if the US defence budget was cut and pointed to going back to the moon, the rest of the world would move to undermine them.

Whilst that Rocket technology will not be shared due to the nefarious uses it could be put to or the commercial gains it will deliver, it would be great to think that a global consortium, not for profit, could pull together to have a goal of a permanent Earth to Moon transfer.

I would imagine that very few people on this Earth would not be levelled by looking at the Moon and knowing that Earth is working together to go there or are going there. I dont think it is a silver bullet to world peace, that is not the fault of the common man, but perhaps the world working together to travel to a place with no religion/borders/poverty or dubious history could sow a seed in the human psyche which may break boundaries for our grandchildren.

Sorry for being a bit damp, but looking at that Moon always dwarfs me!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

I think it's pathetic. The moon, wow. The distance moon earth is nothing compared to how distant planets which might have a working atmosphere are. Why would I want to travel 40 years just to die in a space suit?
With current technology it's a waste of money and time. But how to get advanced without trying?
Weren't there 3 astronaut groups on the moon?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

My daughter, wife and myself were looking at the moon last night with binoculars. I was too lazy to get out the telescope.

It's always a wondrous sight.

I don't know if we really need to go back to the moon but it might be a step that needs taken before we head to mars.
I honestly think that anyone that goes to mars will likely die either there or on the way.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

My Moon - My Pearl - My World.

new topics

top topics

join