It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slowly Conquering a Fear of Heights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
From as far back as I can remember I always have had a fear of heights. It seems to get worse the older I get and sometimes it can be debilitating. I'm an avid hiker and love hiking National Parks..but on a few occasions I had to pass up chances to hike some really amazing trails.

In June 2016 I visited Acadia National Park in Maine (a truly amazing place) and I hiked a great deal of the park. While there I heard about a great trail called Beehive Trail..only problem was it supposedly was not for anyone with a fear of heights due to small ledges one must pass to make it to the top. I opted not to hike this trail because I was afraid. Fast forward to August 2017 (about a month ago) I was back at Acadia and I felt a NEED to do this hike. I was extremely nervous but I just felt like I had to accomplish this feat.

There were a few parts of the hike that were difficult for me but overall I was really proud of myself. The funniest part was I actually enjoyed the rush and wanted to do it again! Here is a video of the hike if anyone wants to see what it looked like from my perspective..all shot on a GoPro.
www.youtube.com...

This past weekend (Labor Day Weekend 2017) I took an impromptu trip to Lake George. As I do for every trip, I do a ton of research on things to do, hiking, and places to eat (and drink!!). I saw they had parasailing available on the lake and it looked like a ton of fun. But my first thought was "wow that is really high up there I don't know if I can do that". But then I remembered when I conquered the Beehive Trail and figured I should try parasailing out. So I booked the tickets online and at $90 a person to parasail I knew I couldn't chicken out.

Well it was pure fun with zero fear involved. It truly was a great experience. I also have a video of this experience from my perspective..all filmed on the GoPro.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrowley88

When I was young, I never had a fear of heights. Now that I'm much older, it doesn't sit well with me. I try to face my fear when I need to, but sometimes the fear is just too great.

Years ago, my wife and I went on a ski lift at a local amusement park. At it's highest point, I started to lift the bar constraint. My wife yelled out " what are you doing???" As if I was locked in a trance I said, "I have to get the hell out of here, I can't handle this!" She quickly pulled down the bar and brought me to my senses, "so you're going to jump out and kill yourself when we're 40ft in the air??"

My wife has never made me forget the day I momentarily lost my mind.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I appreciate your story and can understand your fight or flight response to the ski lift! It's an uneasy feeling being so high up..I tend to get a "frozen" feeling where I can barely move. Thanks again for your response.
a reply to: WeRpeons

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I commend your bravery. That hike for me would be a definite no. All my life I have struggled with my fear of heights,and it has kept me from experiencing many things,and been a real killjoy for family and friends. My husband and I road trip a lot and he's used to me being the way I am, but sometimes I try to compromise so he can enjoy the trip as well. We have gone all over the east coast of Canada...but I have missed many a gorgeous view because I literally freeze and panic even on an escalator, or the second floor of a mall. I cannot even look out the window of the car sometimes. Cape Breton has high cliffs and trails like the Skyline trail. I can't even fathom it.... I wish I could.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Thats a pretty big 'leap' from hiking to parasailing.

Don't stop there, bungee jumping, parachuting, eventually try B.A.S.E.

BASE jumping, also sometimes written as B.A.S.E. jumping, is parachuting or wingsuit flying from a fixed structure or cliff. "BASE" is an acronym that stands for four categories of fixed objects from which one can jump: building, antenna, span, and Earth (cliff).

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm OK with heights - but cautious. A couple of years back I was climbing/scrambling a Welsh mountain with my 14 year old son. It was wet and we were in cloud. I knew that there were drops. My son was basically acting like a mountain goat. I was scared for him. I think some people are just fleet of foot and have the confidence. He's very sensible, but just good judge.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks..I can absolutely relate trust me...it was hard to muster up the courage but I am extremely happy I managed to. a reply to: AccessDenied

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Believe it or not the hiking trail was a way bigger challenge for me...lol bungee jumping and BASE jumping, that's a whole other level. 😆👍🏻a reply to: intrptr

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have friends that react just as your son does..freaks me out man. a reply to: paraphi

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Very well done.

I don't know you, but I'm proud of you.
Conquering our fears can be incredibly difficult. So much so that many simply accept it and let it control their lives.

Heights make me nervous, but I rather love them. If its tall enough, I tend to get vertigo, so I feel my concern is well founded
Interestingly, I can get the same experience looking up at very tall structures. Not too worried there though, if I stumble I only have a few feet to go.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
I don't know you, but I'm proud of you.
Conquering our fears can be incredibly difficult.

I took up bee keeping to conquer my fear of bees. I am still scared sh1tless of caterpillars - yes, caterpillars.

To conquer a fear you just have to do it. The mind is the thing that needs to be reset by experience of doing. Does not always work though.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I think I would feel the same way. That trail would have scared the crap out of me, parasailing looks fun.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Thanks I appreciate the support!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

There were a couple parts that scared me for sure..parasailing was a blast, highly recommend it.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I was a Tower Climber/Radio technician.

Ill just leave it there.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Brave stuff buddy!! 🙃

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm the same way, I can do hieghts like inside a high rise building but roller coasters and flying are a no go for me. If I have to clean the gutters on one story home I just black my mind out like not pay attention to how high I am even if it's 15 off the ground, don't look up or down it's all in the head

top topics

join