It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican leaders in the room 'shell-shocked' following Trump deal with Democrats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...
Somebody please explain this weird occurrence. This is an example of true political madness

I don’t know whether it’s good, bad or ugly.

Trump a his best worst or in-between

President Donald Trump surprised the leaders of his own party in Congress on Wednesday when he backed a deal pushed by Democrats to attach hurricane relief money to a shorter-term bump in the debt ceiling as well as keeping the government open, cutting off his own Treasury secretary to strike a deal.

The decision was one of the most fascinating and mysterious moves he's made with Congress during eight months in office.
The remarkable turn of events left Republican congressional leaders, in control of both chambers of the legislative branch, "shell-shocked" and "visibly annoyed," and showcased how a President who also authored "The Art of the Deal" actually cuts one.

The Republicans wanted a long term deal and the Democrats, Pelosi and Schumer, a short deal and Trump sided with the democrats!

Trump's stunning agreement to endorse a plan proposed by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi came during a Wednesday morning meeting with leaders from both parties in the Oval Office, the first such meeting of Trump's presidency.
Several Republicans briefed on the meeting said that Trump, who has been absent a major legislative achievement for his first seven months in office, was hungry for a deal.

edit on 6-9-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A man who works with both parties is the least prejudiced.

+30 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

He gave the Reps a Chance to Save Face and Actually Do Something , now the Prez is going to make them Pay for their Foot Dragging . BRAVO !

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The heart says he did it to help people in need asap
The brain says its a plan to use as leverage down the line "see, I worked across the table, now they have to"

Possibly both

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Maybe the reality of never getting anything done overcame his sense of stubbornness in this case.

Or maybe it's part of the deal he made with his longtime friends the Clintons to win this past election.

+19 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think Trump wanted to get hurricane relief to people who actually need help.

The establishment republicans have a bad track record when it comes to actually helping people after disasters.

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Trump is playing both sides against the middle.
He's showing the Republicans he isn't married to them.

Tactically very effective for making your opposition (on both sides) fall into line behind you.

link   

Schumer and Pelosi are both agenda-driven and this is likely a setup... not sure why Trump would do this when both of them have been extremely outspoken and opposed to everything they think Trump "stands for".

George Soros' son, Alex has posted pictures of his luncheons with Chuck Schumer (as recently as a few weeks ago) using the hashtag #NeverTrump

NEITHER the Dems nor Republicans can seem to get anything done, but to me it seems like Trump is shooting himself in the face

link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

He gave the Reps a Chance to Save Face and Actually Do Something , now the Prez is going to make them Pay for their Foot Dragging . BRAVO !

I’m not criticizing Trump just trying to understand him.

If that was the case then it’s good

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I applaud him for getting this done in a hurry for all Americans in need in Texas. Frankly if those lazy arse Republicans got off their arses and actually did some good for this country rather than just spouting platitudes during election cycles, this country could be operating better all the way around.

Im no fan of the Dems, but the Republicans in office have lost my vote going forward, just for being good for nothing,,,hell Id move to Arizona just to NOT vote for that wanker McCain.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

People like you are cute.

They are all friends behind closed doors. Opposition in public means your base supports you come re-election time.

It's all..a game.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This "move" by Trump is brilliant.

Now the pressure is on BOTH parties in Congress isn't it.

Any "failures" will not be his fault.

MSM going nuts btw.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

You guys always find a way to rationalize your worst fears, in this case him siding with what "used" to be two of the most vile and disgusting politicians around, Schumer and Pelosi.

So much crap has been talked about those two by Trump supporters on these boards yet now it's ok to side with them because *insert convenient and "brilliant" troll tactic by Trump*.

It really is very predictable.
edit on 9/6/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

including House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Therein lies your answer. Those 2 refuse to do anything. And have not in forever and a day...
Was McCain in there ?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I think you need to work with whichever party is going to help you get things done. Trump is really more of a Democrat than a Republican...especially on social issues. I applaud him for trying to work both sides of the aisle.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Trump had many reasons to do what he did.

Texas voted for Trump. They need hurricane relief. No time to eek out a cheap deal and save money when the state requires expedite help.

Don't have to waste time fighting over the budget all year.

Plus you don't want the douche bag Democrats convincing morons that Trump doesn't care after he spent a lot of time over there surveying the damage. The Democrats probably didn't think Trump would actually go along with their deal. Trump might have blind sided them along with some Rino's.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Good point. Trump use to be what can be described as liberal.

One thing is for sure, though I have been one of Trump’s biggest critics and still am, I believe, though, that when he or any politician does good it should be acknowledged

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Trump is more pissed off with the Republicans than he is with the Democrats.

They've been blocking him at every turn and this sends a pretty strong message back to Congress that they thought they were going to win back Trump supporters by 'negotiating' with the Democrat leaders and 'strike a deal' showing how 'it's done'.

It's called an end run and it worked beautifully.

edit on 6-9-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

If by "doing good" you mean attaching the Texas money to a bill for a stop gap extension of the debt ceiling, ok.

Is there any particular reason the Texas money had to be attached to the stop gap extension? Other to to say "neener neener" to the Republicans? Or is that what you meant by "doing good?"

Texas was going to get the money. That's a no-brainer. The Democrats scored with this one. Bigly.
edit on 9/6/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
www.cnn.com...
Somebody please explain this weird occurrence. This is an example of true political madness

I don’t know whether it’s good, bad or ugly.

Trump a his best worst or in-between

President Donald Trump surprised the leaders of his own party in Congress on Wednesday when he backed a deal pushed by Democrats to attach hurricane relief money to a shorter-term bump in the debt ceiling as well as keeping the government open, cutting off his own Treasury secretary to strike a deal.

The decision was one of the most fascinating and mysterious moves he's made with Congress during eight months in office.
The remarkable turn of events left Republican congressional leaders, in control of both chambers of the legislative branch, "shell-shocked" and "visibly annoyed," and showcased how a President who also authored "The Art of the Deal" actually cuts one.

The Republicans wanted a long term deal and the Democrats, Pelosi and Schumer, a short deal and Trump sided with the democrats!

Trump's stunning agreement to endorse a plan proposed by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi came during a Wednesday morning meeting with leaders from both parties in the Oval Office, the first such meeting of Trump's presidency.
Several Republicans briefed on the meeting said that Trump, who has been absent a major legislative achievement for his first seven months in office, was hungry for a deal.

I think Trump just wanted to get some relief down to Texas. If it required agreeing to a short-term bump in debt ceiling, the so be it. The Dems get what they want and he gets what he wants. The RINOs are left wondering what happened.

Trump just wants sh*t done. I don't think he really gives a duck a bought the politics. The only people that have egg on their face are the establishment Republicans as he is constantly exposing them as the fakers they are.

A lot of us have been trying to tell progressives, that Trump is a third party candidate. The RINOs hate him just as much as Democrats and are just as much of a barrier.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join