It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk about what's going on in the UK right now.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

You put a U in color. That's so British. Lol.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

im trying to figure it out but im starting to lose my mind..

There is a deep breaded conspiracy going on right under our noses.

everytime i get one it takes the name of another extebding my quest for the crust yet again..

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I need a nap.
My friend Janet from Liverpool said they don't have English muffins in the U.K..

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Te he, Im glad you noticed

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I need a nap.
My friend Janet from Liverpool said they don't have English muffins in the U.K..

not true they do now lol.. called american muffins. but where we get english muffins is from what they call muffins from the muffin man.. yea.. back to biscuits.. american biscuits.. i bet they're called pancakes or something.

Ha! They dont call biscuits anything..

woo.. I think I got this.
edit on 6-9-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

This may be another "muffin" situation.
An English biscuit is what Americans call a cookie. Crunchy.
Somewhere up above you described a scone as being like a biscuit. Since a scone has the consistency of a small cake, that suggests that your "biscuit" may have an unfamiliar meaning.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

a reply to: smurfy

btw wtf is a crumpet haha.
The way it sounds in my head is like a crunchy fluffy scone cookie (buscuit) mix..

yea Colour me confused alright.

makes me think also of a bigger girl sitting in a long dress poofed out around her.. shes a crumpet. lmao..

just googled.. why the hell do crumpets look ecactly as english muffins?? Im getting more confused

little miss muffits and tuffits oh my!

I just searched "are english muffins and crumpets the same?" and now im just.. sometimes in britain what americans call english muffins are sometimes called american muffins.. what is happening!

this is starting to feel like freedom fries. you have to be pulling my leg.

I pull you not

2 cups (250g) unbleached white bread flour
1 2/3 cups (180g) unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 0.6oz cake fresh yeast (15g) or 1 envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons) plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 1/4 cups (510ml) lukewarm water
3 1/2 teaspoons (10g) coarse sea salt, crushed or ground (use about half this if you're not grinding your own coarse sea salt. If you're measuring by weight instead of volume, you're fine.)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup (140ml) lukewarm milk

Alternatively, you can buy the little buggers in the supermarket.

Since there is baking soda in them, the taste is close to Irish Soda Bread, but in a, (for me) better package. The Crumpets on the top are full of holes so the butter dribbles into them. I used to get my sister to bring them from England when she visited, but they are easily available in Ireland now, and seem to be catching on.
The funny thing is, she would take back home The Soda Bread, and Potato Bread.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I need a nap.

not true they do now lol.. called american muffins. but where we get english muffins is from what they call muffins from the muffin man.. yea.. back to biscuits.. american biscuits.. i bet they're called pancakes or something.

woo.. I think I got this.

They are called scones!

edit on 9/6/2017 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/6/2017 by Kukri because: stupid crappy tablet

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

but scones are not biscuits silly..

a biscuit from here would be like a scone minus the sugar and fluffy and buttery..

what i call a scone is more like a biscuit cake and has like raisans in it or whatever..

that is NOT a biscuit (american biscuit not cookie)

scones are gross.

biscuits are heaven.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

It was you lot that took it out...and yu's can't pronounce, Aluminium...and, and...those daft Canadians keep talking about aboot all the time! No problem with Crumpet and Muffin though
(banter btw)
edit on 6-9-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

We don't have odd shaped lumps of cornflour called biscuits , at all over here . Hence , constipation is not a general problem either .
And anyway , when did what's happening in Britain turn into 'what s the mezzers having for dinner?' Its time for bed already this end

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
In my college days, this was the recognised method of preparing crumpets;
1) Switch on the electric bar-fire.
2) Stick the upper side of the crumpet to the bars of the protective grill.
3) When it falls off, the crumpet is done on that side. Repeat for the other side.
4) Once both sides are done, spread the top liberally with butter (which will soak into the holes).

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeneralMayhem

We don't have odd shaped lumps of cornflour called biscuits , at all over here . Hence , constipation is not a general problem either .
And anyway , when did what's happening in Britain turn into 'what s the mezzers having for dinner?' Its time for bed already this end

you guys lol..
there is NO cornmeal/cornflower in biscuits.. flour buttermilk basically and they are not oddly shaped rather cut into perfect circles you goose..

thats corn bread with cornmeal. Made in cast iron skillet as a full bread cut any way you want with melted butter and some chilli.

and we started on poop.. now to food.. weve come full circle?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You'veote]originally posted by: [they're=22643060]Reverbs[/post]
a reply to: Kukri

a biscuit from here would be like a scone minus the sugar and fluffy and buttery..

what i call a scone is more like a biscuit cake and has like raisans in it or whatever..

that is NOT a biscuit (american biscuit not cookie)

scones are gross.

Well Itotally broke that quote. No more replies from my tablet %&#@&%+-=<

biscuits are heaven.

You haven't had moms scones! And they're cheesy not those raisin pucks.
edit on 9/6/2017 by Kukri because: bloody nasty oldtablet is nasty

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

a reply to: stosh64

How often do we get a good belly laugh from this site? Keith didn't even believe I was on ATS because he's used to hearing me say things like "you're outta ya mind" not laughing like this. But I really gotta go cook him something. He keeps popping his head in here and mentioning food. Oh well.
Let's try to remember we are all people and obviously we can find common ground. I have a great relationship with butcher guy in the food forum. We just can't talk politics.
Cheers mate to keep it British.

Laughter...the best medicine

Cheers Silly It is awesome to share some laughs with you, I know if we met in real life we would get along.

It was fun.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeneralMayhem
My apologies sir , and while you're from Northern Ireland then it is easy to forget that for your part of Britain then leaving is much more of a tricky affair . So sorry about that . If it were up to me , I'd give Northern Ireland back to the Irish .
When we fought the second world war , it was to keep the Germans from invading Britain . When we voted to leave Europe , we voted that the Germans should leave Britain . The CDU via the EPP are Europe's controllers , and no amount of 'we need foreign doctors' is going to convince me , or anyone who is proBrexit to change course . We , don't need foreign doctors , teachers , scientists , or any other foreign professionals to run this country effectively . In fact , there's a problem when departments such as social services are run and staffed mainly by Europeans . A big problem . Sorry if you don't like it .
We're getting rid of these problems , and there is nothing you can do about it . Sorry again

I live in Northern Ireland have done for a long, long time, although I am English. When my father fought in WW2, he fought to keep Hitler at bay, he signed up for that, understanding that it was Hitler who had to be defeated, not an act of bravado, although still a brave thing to do considering the awfulness of WW1 and the incompetence of the commanders in that war. He was an 'ordinary' person, but very astute and capable and well read and not well pleased with hyperbolic propaganda...which is again rife today..big time, called sound bytes..those are mostly the things you want to hear, which is accountable, and plausible, only sound bytes you've heard before.
Just look at Saddam Hussain, sure by right thinking people, he was a shiite, however, those wmd's never surfaced as yet, while he ended up dead, and his country, and many others became a extreme mess..and still are, and will likely be for some time to come.
As for the UK, in this big, big world it's a tiny..tiny..tiny place, somewhere offshore, from everything else, plenty of history alright, while other parts of the world have moved on with their ethos for their people, while also recognising ultimately, that sharing is the only way at the end of the day, not winners and losers.
Thanks for the apology in any case.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I had so much fun with you guys.

I have a new found respect for many people in this thread that other topics limited.

Our topic master dipped on us, but me and him go back to old old threads. I hope I didn't mess up what he wanted..

ATS is the bees knees when we do it right.

good night.

edit on 7-9-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In my college days, this was the recognised method of preparing crumpets;
1) Switch on the electric bar-fire.
2) Stick the upper side of the crumpet to the bars of the protective grill.
3) When it falls off, the crumpet is done on that side. Repeat for the other side.
4) Once both sides are done, spread the top liberally with butter (which will soak into the holes).

As someone that seems to know a lot of things about a lot of stuff have you ever heard of crumpets reffered to as pikletes? I grew up in north Nottinghamshire and what everyone calles crumpets with the holes in the top were called pikelets and crumpets were what are now called muffins.

Mandela effect anyone or just a regional oddity

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   

In Britain we take our cakes and biscuits seriously.

For the avoidance of doubt, the legal definition of a cake and biscuit is...

- Cakes go hard when stale
- Biscuits go soft when stale

On muffins. There are different types. The "flatbread muffin" is otherwise known as the "English muffins" is unsweetened and (er) flat. The American muffin is a small cake and is typically (because its American) loaded with sugar and crap, i.e sweetened. Why the Americans use English words to mean different things, I don't know. I suppose to Americans, calling a small cake a "muffin" helped the marketing?

On crumpets. The crumpets are odd sponge things from England, and trace their origins back to the dawn of time. Crumpet also means an attractive woman as in "she's a bit of crumpet" i.e. nice.

On Scones. In Britain these are small plain cakes, sometimes with fruit. These are traditionally eaten with strawberries and cream, but when stale can be used as slingshots.

English scones, muffins and crumpets are very nice. I think they are all legally classified as cakes because they go hard when stale. This is an important point for us Brits, because if they are cakes they are tax exempt!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
As someone that seems to know a lot of things about a lot of stuff have you ever heard of crumpets reffered to as pikletes?

Now, the further north you go in Britain the closer you get to the Scots. In Scotland and northern Britain the pancake are also called things like crumpets. This is often confusing because the said pancakes (of which there are different types) are also often called Scotch pancakes.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join