It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Wants ‘Permanent’ DACA Deal ‘Where Everybody Is Happy’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
President Donald Trump has commented on his decision to take down the existing DACA policy (policy, not law).

He says he's looking for a real solution that becomes a law.

Congress has that power.

Trump wants solutions that make everybody happy.

We are seeing threats and twists from groups and from the MSM in general that seem to want a "one sided" solution only.

All these groups need to "Lobby" Congress and come to grips with the fact that a single entity like a President can not circumvent existing laws.

As Congress debates the issues and proposals, it will be interesting to see who is against what in reality.

Donald Trump Wants ‘Permanent’ DACA Deal ‘Where Everybody Is Happy’

President Donald Trump repeated that he wanted to sign a deal on DACA, urging Congress to send him a bill to make it happen.
“Congress, I really believe, wants to take care of this situation,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One. “I really believe it — even very conservative members of Congress.”

He appeared willing to negotiate with Republicans and Democrats on a DACA solution — even willing to add border security funding to help sell the measure to offer amnesty to DACA recipients.

“I’d like to see something where we have good border security, and we have a great DACA transaction where everybody is happy and now they don’t have to worry about it anymore,” he said.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

offer amnesty to DACA recipients

Cool, that's awesome. They deserve it.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Offer amnesty to DACA kids in exchange for the wall being built...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I would be ok with this to if I didn't think the money would be better used on our infrastructure.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I would be ok with this to if I didn't think the money would be better used on our infrastructure.

They can cutoff or severely cut back on foreign aid.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

They can cutoff or severely cut back on foreign aid.

As long as they start with the military budget and use the money for our infrastructure and healthcare , I don't care what they cut.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

It's probably going to be amnesty with nothing in exchange. That's what we're building to anyways, they'll just call it something else.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

This would be perfect. Both sides get what they want.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In the real world is it possible to make everybody happy?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
In the real world is it possible to make everybody happy?

There's actually this thing called compromise. I know it sounds crazy in today's world, but that's how some of our leaders in government used to lead.

Or so I'm told.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It's probably going to be amnesty with nothing in exchange. That's what we're building to anyways, they'll just call it something else.

What will happen is Republicans will agree to Amnesty for DACA in exchange for securing the border. However, the border security will be set sometime out in the future. The DACA immigrants will get their amnesty and then the Democrats/Republicans will never make good on securing the border. The voting public has a short memory and will forget...

Same thing happened under Reagan with Simpson-Mazzoli... They failed to actually enforce after amnesty.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Yea, we shall see if the "never Trumpers" can find it in their hearts to work with him on this and not against him. (when he is trying to work with both sides)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Yea, we shall see if the "never Trumpers" can find it in their hearts to work with him on this and not against him. (when he is trying to work with both sides)

I'm still not convinced he's trying to work with both sides.

There's a first time for everything, though.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

some folks never will be. sad, but true.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

If Democrats and Republicans can compromise with each other, then Republicans should be able to compromise within their own party. It seems that you have these different Republican factions that are unwilling to budge on key issues.

If Republicans and Democrats compromise with each other on DACA, that may embolden president Trump to go middle ground with everything going forward.

When you have these various Republican factions and spineless Republicans, that may be the route that President Trump has to take... which isn't bad.

edit on 9/6/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No, there will never be anything that makes everyone happy, but our government can pull its head out of its ass and start doing things that keep most people content.

Like Underwerks noted...compromise can hopefully be a thing.

Normally I would argue against possible amnesty, but this is different than normal amnesty discussions--these kids generally came here because they had to because their parents/families brought them here. Since this is the case, I have come to the conclusion that amnesty really is the only humane/moral way to handle this particular issue.

With that said, though, I think that there needs to be harshened penalties for doing this again, and I really, really think that Obama needs to accept his role in this debacle when he knowingly circumvented the law and allowed these people to remain here "legally." Instead, he's condemning Trump's decision to end it--a decision that Obama KNEW he would put on the shoulders of his successor. I find the cognitive dissonance very troubling.

I wouldn't even be bringing Obama up in this thread if I hadn't seen his condemnation of Trump's decision this morning on the news.

originally posted by: carewemust

If Democrats and Republicans can compromise with each other, then Republicans should be able to compromise within their own party. It seems that you have these different Republican factions that are unwilling to budge on key issues.

If Republicans and Democrats compromise with each other on DACA, that may embolden president Trump to go middle ground with everything going forward.

When you have these various Republican factions and spineless Republicans, that may be the route that President Trump has to take... which isn't bad.

I must say that, at this point, I agree with you about a middle-of-the-road approach. It'd be nice to start seeing things actually happen in our government that reflect the will of most of the people instead of the far-edge loonies that seem to hold the loudest bullhorns.
edit on 6-9-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

“I’d like to see something where we have good border security, and we have a great DACA transaction where everybody is happy and now they don’t have to worry about it anymore,” he said.

And there it is. He's holding 800,000 kids hostage to get his wall.

DACA can't become "permanent". DACA is meant to provide relief for a specific and small group of people, not every child of every undocumented immigrant. DACA was a small window.

DACA has nothing to do with his stupid border wall!

edit on 6-9-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

DACA can't become "permanent". DACA is meant to provide relief for a specific and small group of people, not every child of every undocumented immigrant. DACA was a small window.

...Ummm, can you say immigration reform?

Those aren't kids, stop deluding yourself.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

What will happen is Republicans will agree to Amnesty for DACA in exchange for securing the border. However, the border security will be set sometime out in the future. The DACA immigrants will get their amnesty and then the Democrats/Republicans will never make good on securing the border. The voting public has a short memory and will forget...

Same thing happened under Reagan with Simpson-Mazzoli... They failed to actually enforce after amnesty.

I don't disagree. Though I favor amnesty anyways. Bringing more people here doesn't hurt us.

I do think it will involve some degree of face saving though, where it's limited amnesty only for people who would have been covered by DACA in the first place. At the end of the day, no one really wants to deport these people.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Sorry, but your analysis is incorrect.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join