It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma: Strongest ever Atlantic storm causes 'major damage' in Caribbean - latest news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Irma has hit some islands already.

Massive damage reported.

Some live streaming in the article.

Buildings leveled and flooding.

This one is gonna hit the U.S. Territories real soon and probably the mainland in a few days !

Hurricane Irma: Strongest ever Atlantic storm causes 'major damage' in Caribbean - latest news

The most powerful Atlantic Ocean hurricane in recorded history has destroyed buildings and caused major flooding on several Caribbean islands, as British tourists are evacuated from the region amid warnings the storm will be "potentially catastrophic".

The island of Barbuda was the first to bear the brunt of Hurricane Irma - a category five storm with winds of 185mph - early on Wednesday, churning along a path pointing to Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba before possibly hitting Florida over the weekend.

The eye of the hurricane passed over Barbuda at around 1.47am (5.47am BST) before moving to the French islands of Saint-Barthelemy and Saint-Martin, which officials said had suffered "major damage" with even the "most sturdy" buildings destroyed by winds that tore off rooftops and knocked out electricity.

one Tweet with a video

Live feed in Virgin Islands..

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I just read a 4th storm in the gulf of Mexico has started and is beginning to move east.Prayers to everyone down there.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This thing is a true monster.

Hope people in Florida are taking this one seriously.

Stay safe.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Let;s hope that it moves along quickly. It stalls anywhere and it will be WAY worse.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Cool Webcam. Should be abe to see the rise of storm surge and wind speeds as the day develops.

NOAA as recorded lesser wind speeds of 117 mph, time will tell if it restrengthens.

Weather.com

Irma first passed over Barbuda, an island of 1600 residents, with gusts of at least 155 mph overnight into Wednesday morning. Early Wednesday morning, the eye of Irma then moved over St. Martin, St. Barthelemy and near Anguilla, where sustained winds of 117 mph were measured.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Those winds were measured right before the anemometer failed. It is highly likely there were higher winds. The latest NHC discussion talks about it.

Also, this is the strongest storm ever recorded in the Atlantic, stronger storms have been recorded in the Carribean and Gulf of Mexico. That said this is an incredible storm with catastrophic winds.

From the NHC 11am(ast) discussion:

A NOAA National Ocean Service
observing site on Barbuda measured sustained winds of 103 kt with a
gust to 135 kt earlier this morning before the anemometer failed

1 knot= 1.15mph

135kts=155mph
edit on 6-9-2017 by jrod because: Add

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Those winds were measured right before the anamometer failed. It is highly likely there were higher winds.

I knew someone would misread that. After all this is ATS.

The anemometer broke at 118 on the first island, but speeds were measured at 155 there at another station.

The next island clocked sustained speeds of 117.

Neither are the Atlantic basin recorded velocity of 185...

Edit: So it has weakened. Hurricanes do that over land. Don't fret though, it will strengthen again, over water . If it gets into the gulf, watch out.
edit on 6-9-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

It's apparently nearing the maximum storm potential for the temperature of the ocean though. So luckily it can't get any stronger.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ericendtimes

The one in the Gulf of Mexico, Katia, is going west into Mexico. Jose is coming along behind Irma.

A week or two ago we were doing some back of the napkin calculations over in TA's live stream and determined that a cat5 hurricane releases about the equivalent energy of a M9.5 earthquake each day; this is roughly equivalent to 5% of the energy the earth receives from the sun in the same time period.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: ericendtimes

The one in the Gulf of Mexico, Katia, is going west into Mexico. Jose is coming along behind Irma.

A week or two ago we were doing some back of the napkin calculations over in TA's live stream and determined that a cat5 hurricane releases about the equivalent energy of a M9.5 earthquake each day; this is roughly equivalent to 5% of the energy the earth receives from the sun in the same time period.

Did you factor in the giant oil 'heat sink' at the bottom of the Gulf, and the potential for storm surge to bring that ashore?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Thank you for the clarification on that.My old man lives in florida but no matter where it ends up just 1 more storm to many for those affected.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
According to French reports, the 4 most sturdy buildings on St. Martin were all destroyed. I would think that means that pretty much the entire island has been flattened.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm in NC at the southern triangle area. Hugo got us good, Irma could well do the same. I was out today securing chairs, BBQ, trash cans and anything that could be blown away. We are surrounded by trees, some the brittle pecan trees. I also have a field that is clear and 900' x 600' in which I can park my vehicles, away from and tree damage risk. Beyond that, I am 110 miles inland and on semi hilly/flat ground, with a fair amount of drainage, being on the highest ground in the area.

Lord help us, we will need it.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
British Virgin islands are a bit windy today

odds on the shed surviving?

edit on 6-9-2017 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: oddnutz
British Virgin islands are a bit windy today

odds on the shed surviving?

Looks like the garage is about to fly

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
its about to go, poor shed.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Irma is being discussed here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join