It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real end of the world article!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I know there is another thread about the end of the world by asteroid collision, but that was by some mad Aussie bloke nobody knows.
This is on the BBC website (UK), which in my eyes is quite a reliable source

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
yes...

BBC is reliable...

this link was mentioned in the aussie bloke thread also...

i hope mankind can find a way to "destroy" this asteroid or something...

we have until feburary 1st, 2019...

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Interesting---but i'm sure we'll dodge the bullet again. But then again you never know, our planet can't be lucky enough to stay out of harms way forever.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
i read that they were goin to use solar sails to direct it off course

or we could do a bruce willis to it???

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Look at the date of the article.
It's old. They recalculated and found the asteroid has little chance of hitting earth.
Here's articles after they figured it would miss:
www.planetary.org...
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Another asteroid will be even closer, and close enough to actually be visible with naked eye in 2029....
www.cnn.com...

The 2029 event will be the closest brush by a good-sized asteroid known to occur. The rock will pass Earth inside the orbits of some satellites. No other asteroid has ever been clearly visible to the unaided eye.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I would hope we could find technology to avoid any possible outer space rocks from dashing our future. Of course, it is bound to happen and history shows it has already. I wonder if gov'ts around the world would let their people know if impending doom or not. Sometimes it may just be better to not know then wait and worry.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think the "Ball of Redemption" is on its way... I guess we humans deserve it.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
It's old. They recalculated and found the asteroid has little chance of hitting earth.
www.planetary.org...
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Another asteroid will be even closer, and close enough to actually be visible with naked eye in 2029....
www.cnn.com...

The 2029 event will be the closest brush by a good-sized asteroid known to occur. The rock will pass Earth inside the orbits of some satellites. No other asteroid has ever been clearly visible to the unaided eye.

good research and thanks...

i thought the object we were talking about could hit in 2019 though???

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

www.planetary.org...
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.cnn.com...

good research and thanks...

i thought the object we were talking about could hit in 2019 though???

The first two articles are on the 2019 asteroid, only the last one talks about the 2029 one.

2019....2029.....hmmm......
Should we be concerned with 2009 or 2039?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Realistically I don't think they would disclose knowledge of a meteor or anything else striking the Earth. This would cause world wide panic. Even if it is as far away as 2029.

Perhaps this is what Project Deep Impact is really about. Deep Impact is going to smash into a comet. Maybe its practice for hitting a asteroid on a collision course with Earth. Perhaps its not really targeted for a comet but the asteroid headed for us.

I feel that we would not know about such a predicted collision until it was too late.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Look at the Link below it gives 3 objects that are a lot more likely to hit the earth.

The 2002 NT7 object had a +0.06 probability of impact according to the Torino scale, the three in the link have a +1 probability of impact thats 16 times more likely!!

Impact Table

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The first two articles are on the 2019 asteroid, only the last one talks about the 2029 one.

2019....2029.....hmmm......
Should we be concerned with 2009 or 2039?

thanks...

we should be concerned with both of them but the 2019 one first...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The world will go on with or without us. To worry is futile.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by casey
The world will go on with or without us. To worry is futile.

Yeah but what about my stuff?

This orbiting hunk of rock may survive but life on Earth may not.
If all the water evaporates into space, then thats it. No chance of life again.

Game over.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Its just a Space Peanut, nothing to worry about folks

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Are we building a super laser ray machine on the top of Mount Everest to stop those pesky asteroids?

Or are we going to hook up a network of billions of people brain-wired to "mentally" destroy the asteroids?

Or just we are going to have the old stand-by: strapped several nuclear warheads on Titan rockets and shoot at 'em?

new topics

top topics

join