It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.2 Million $ Grant for Women of Color will Not Discriminate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

There are scholarships for all kinds of things and for all kinds of people.

Maybe some individual that qualifies will get an education they would not otherwise have received.

Link

Here, this website offers a look at what's available in 2017. Sure there are "specialty" scholarships, but that doesn't mean an enterprising person couldn't qualify for something good on this list if they can jump through all the hoops.

Right, let's have a "Grant for Men of Whiteness" in place of "Grant for Women of Color" and see how that one flies.

The sense of inequality and excuse making is odd and unsettling.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
CCNY is a private institution and not publiclly funded. In fact a corporation and private business.

Shouldn't they be allowed to conduct business the way they see fit? Give grants, scholarships to who ever they want?

It's none of your business.

Come into my store and tell me how to run my business and I'll kick your ass out into the street.

If you want to start a fund with your own money for white people. It's none of my business is it?

I'd be willing to contribute to an educational fund to teach right wingers how the free market works!

edit on 6-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
So this The City College of New York is not going to be discriminating against any other race with exclusively designing the grant to be awarded to women of color.

The City College of New York recently launched a $1.2 million program designed exclusively for “women of color” seeking to become “activist scholars.”
www.campusreform.org...

See the non-tax dollars are going to go to the cis-sexual-trans and non binary folks. So who are we to suppose the grant is going to omit by design?

Flores went on to confirm that the program is funded completely through the Novo Foundation’s grant and not public tax dollars, clarifying that “the category ‘women’ is inclusive of cis-sexual, transgender, and nonbinary forms of gendered identities.”

And as usual, when asked to clarify how this is "fair", there is no answer given. Seems this is more of the same self segregating people into boxes that colleges seem to be hell bent to do these days.

While she insisted that the program “does not discriminate on gender or race,” she declined to clarify how the program, which is exclusively for “women of color,” does not discriminate against men or white people.

I don't really have a problem with minority targeted scholarships and grants. I benefited from them as a college student and they helped me immensely. There are plenty of "white" scholarships, however, that usually isn't the defining characteristic. For example, there are Irish scholarships. Yes, you can have a black irish person, but by in large, Irish are white folks.

As I stated earlier, most minority scholarships and grants are designed to give some diversity. For example, there are internship programs like INROADs or SEO that give minority students access to jobs on Wall Street and other firms. Having been there, I can tell you there aren't many minorities, so these programs are an attempt at outreach to find qualified candidates.

In this case, I just don't see the need for this grant. Women of color studying social justice are a dime a dozen. There are far too many. I'd rather see more women of color in finance or STEM fields. I'm against it because it does nothing but propagate liberal propaganda hidden as scholarship.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It's the "activist scholars" part that worries me.
More history that wasn't I presume?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What about private businesses or corps that rent homes? Should your idea also apply to this?

And if your business discriminates on any of the race, color, religion....... Sooner or later there is going to be legal problems, as there should be.

edit on 6-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

What about private businesses or corps that rent homes? Should your idea also apply to this?

And if your business discriminates on any of the race, color, religion....... Sooner or later there is going to be legal problems, as there should be.

Your straw man is moving the goal posts. It's not the same thing and you know it!!

Seen this lately?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

there actually are plenty for Caucasians you mental case...
there are grants for just about anything on this planet... was that a cue to show your ignorance? and the ignorants who S&Fs your ignorant post...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

educational grants have been in place since higher education started. your strawman argument is as it gets.
what about academic scholarships? should we get rid of those too, because it's the same premise, giving to a specific group... what about athletic scholarships, maybe we should get rid of those too since some people whom are more adept at sports than others may trigger buffoons...
edit on 6-9-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

What would start the process of anyone's ass being kicked out to the street?

Come into my store and tell me how to run my business and I'll kick your ass out into the street.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What would start the process of anyone's ass being kicked out to the street?

I'm also not a fan of arrogant racist...

It varies depending on my mood. Today, If you are wearing brown shoes...GTFO!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

So this The City College of New York is not going to be discriminating against any other race with exclusively designing the grant to be awarded to women of color.

The City College of New York recently launched a $1.2 million program designed exclusively for “women of color” seeking to become “activist scholars.”
www.campusreform.org...

See the non-tax dollars are going to go to the cis-sexual-trans and non binary folks. So who are we to suppose the grant is going to omit by design?

Flores went on to confirm that the program is funded completely through the Novo Foundation’s grant and not public tax dollars, clarifying that “the category ‘women’ is inclusive of cis-sexual, transgender, and nonbinary forms of gendered identities.”

And as usual, when asked to clarify how this is "fair", there is no answer given. Seems this is more of the same self segregating people into boxes that colleges seem to be hell bent to do these days.

While she insisted that the program “does not discriminate on gender or race,” she declined to clarify how the program, which is exclusively for “women of color,” does not discriminate against men or white people.

Wonder what she'd say to the argument that white is all wavelengths of light reflected off an object, or person in this case....essentially mak8ng white ALL colors. Actually white people, if looked at from a color perspective, are the most colorful of all, and what she calls women of color would be actually LACKING in the color spectrum.

Now for the new debate on who is colored and who isnt....in the light spectrum, whites would be the most colorful and blacks the least....so....

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I get some of your point, but there have been scholarships for minorities for a long time.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Why an activist scholar? What rights don't women of colour have?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I'm sorry, you must be invisible, not part of the visible spectrum, since you're white.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I did say don't get triggered.

I gave you fair warning... Oh, fair? that's like... pale, or even invisible according to some.

My bad..

sich heil? Never heard of it, by the way.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
CCNY is a private institution and not publiclly funded. In fact a corporation and private business.

Shouldn't they be allowed to conduct business the way they see fit? Give grants, scholarships to who ever they want?

It's none of your business.

If you want to start a fund with your own money for white people. It's none of my business is it?

I'd be willing to contribute to an educational fund to teach right wingers how the free market works!

Ummm...precisely...and while we're at it...shouldn't that cake baker...in their privately funded business enterprise...be allowed to discriminate...erm...selectively sell their cakes to whomever...or not...they choose...?

Without the courts forcing them to sell them to persons or groups that they choose not to...of course...

Yet...the courts ruled that that cake baker had to sell those cakes to everyone...in a non-discriminatory manner...
I fail to grasp how this other collegiate privately funded business enterprise...can lawfully discriminate against other persons or groups they have openly claimed are prejudicially excluded from consideration for these grants and or scholarships...

If the intent is to uplift...then perhaps justice truly should be blind...and affect uplifting in a non-judgemental...non- descriminatory...non prejudicial fashion...

IMO...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: badw0lf

there actually are plenty for Caucasians you mental case...
there are grants for just about anything on this planet... was that a cue to show your ignorance? and the ignorants who S&Fs your ignorant post...

Right. The "White only" grants are everywhere. We're just colour blind, since white isn't a colour, right?

mental case.. lol..

I'll just be off to the Whiteys only club for my white wine and jovial banter about how our 'agenda' to oust the 'blemished' folk is taking a side step from the master plan.

ignorance seems to be your forte, don't bring it near me.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I get some of your point, but there have been scholarships for minorities for a long time.

Ummm...precisely...and every one of them was discriminatory...prejudicial even...and certainly exclusionary of other persons...based solely on race...

One wonders what the term for such an practice might be...hmmm...?

YouSir

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The Darwin awards don't offer grants to the deceased, so this makes no sense to me.

Scholarships should be based on merit and intellectual curiosity and not by the lure of financial benefit, there are people who dedicate their lives to make discoveries and have done so without a piggyback despite their ethnicity.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This is great news.... for me at least.... I recently started to identify as a black female... free education here I come!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join