It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is she waking up?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
It's been quit a while since we've seen such activity on the Sun. The last X-class flare dates back from 2015 when the Sun spew out a
X2.2 and X2.7 flare.
Last year 2016 was such a 'poor' year for solar activity with only 16 recorded M-class flares, but that's what you get in a solar minimum.

If you compare that to the year 2013, when the Sun was at a solar maximum, there were 12 X-Flares and over 50+ M-flares.
Even though that was a pretty 'low' maximum.
This year we are heading into a solar minimum with 20+ recorded M-flares and today the first X-flare, a long duration X2.2

The source of the activity is Sunspot 2673 (AR12673) with a strong mixed magnetic configuration. Opposite polarities are still very close
and more M and X-flaring is a high probability.

Yesterday we've also witnessed a halo CME emerging from the same region and will arrive at earth in the late afternoon today.
Those at higher latitudes can be in for a good show, open your eyes for those auroras.
For the latest X2.2 it is still unknown if it was associated with a CME, if so it will also probable head for earth.

If the Sun is waking up? Probably not. Well she is always awake otherwise...

An X-flare isn't such a rare event during solar minimums and she will probably just go into her 'winter sleep' as usual.

On another note, I've read some articles in the past about a possible connection with sunspots and hurricanes, maybe these events aren't such a big surprise?
If someone has more info or ideas on that I'l be glad to read them.

IGF

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Total Solar Eclipse=

The Sun is waking out of it's slumber..

Geological and atmospheric changes are noted...

Id say the rest of the year will we interesting to watch events unfold.

The Sun plays the most important role. It dictates all life and weather on Earth.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Good thing it wasn't pointed directly at us. The odds of that happening are millions to one. The odds of you being on the side facing the sun when it happens make it even rarer.

Imagine a tennis ball being swung on a string 50 yards out from where you stand and you trying to hit it with a twelve gauge shotgun, blindfolded.

Not so easy.

Beside, the analogy is more like a marble a hundred fifty yards away, the direct effect of an x class flare wouldn't be as sever as everyone makes it out to be.

A super duper x class flare directly impacting the earth would ruin communications and overload the power grid, causing wide spread... dark nights, and wailing twitterers.

I read a short story once by some sci-fi fi author, the people spotted the Mega Solar flare because they saw the moon was extremely bright, waiting to die at dawn when the sun rose...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

This video actually shows the last two major flares. youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

That doesn't make any sense.

The moon passing between the earth and the sun has absolutely nothing to do with CMEs or flares.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Seems to me many studies are taking place to see exactly what changes if any happen during a total solar eclipse both on Earth, the Sun, and other planets.

It causes changes to the Earth's atmosphere, we know this much. The Earth and the Sun are literally connected so if the solar wind changes we won't know unless we study it during an eclipse which is what I read they are doing.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

No.

The OP is about solar flares.

The moon has absolutely indisputably zero influence on the sun

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MamaJ
Total Solar Eclipse=

The Sun is waking out of it's slumber..

Geological and atmospheric changes are noted...

Id say the rest of the year will we interesting to watch events unfold.

The Sun plays the most important role. It dictates all life and weather on Earth.

Huh? Solar eclipses have literally nothing to do with solar maximums or minimums. Eclipses are determined by the moon's orbit and orbit tilt.
edit on 6-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

a reply to: watchitburn

Seems to me many studies are taking place to see exactly what changes if any happen during a total solar eclipse both on Earth, the Sun, and other planets.

It causes changes to the Earth's atmosphere, we know this much. The Earth and the Sun are literally connected so if the solar wind changes we won't know unless we study it during an eclipse which is what I read they are doing.

Which studies are these? The only changes the moon causes to the Earth are tidal forces and they have nothing to do with there being an eclipse or not.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm talking about the Sun and Earth relationship as well as energy. Studies can be found all over the Internet in that regard. Studies are ongoing as we have little knowledge about the Sun but we know enough to know the energy or lack thereof when a total eclipse takes place causes changes.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Again what studies? You can't just be vague and allude to "studies". Produce them, because everything you are saying makes 0 sense in relation to what this thread is about.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thx
yeah it seems this is region is popping

Another flare, this time a lot stronger X9.3 Solar Flare, Largest in 12 years, 15th Largest Solar Flare Ever Recorded.

It also seems the X2.2 was associated with a CME heading for earth

edit on 6-9-2017 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I'm on my phone and cannot produce the studies I'm referring to as they are pulled up on my pc. When I get back later I'll link you to what I'm talking about. Like I said you can always seek and find on your own.

What exactly are you wanting me to provide? The Sun/Earth/Moon relationship? What is known about Solar wind and radiation during an eclipse or if there are any other changes during a total solar eclipse on Earth or Sun? This was a rare event and many balloons, ground measurements, etc... were conducted and the studies from each experiment are not in yet as it will take a while to study and form conclusions.

There is so much we don't know, however seems like common sense when such an event takes place energy and the lack of energy play important roles for space weather, sun weather, and earth's weather. Everything is connected.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

They stated won't know about the latest flare until later on. I wonder if it will be earth directed.... time will tell. Days not over either so we could have more flares that are larger than the last X9.3

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I'm on my phone and cannot produce the studies I'm referring to as they are pulled up on my pc. When I get back later I'll link you to what I'm talking about. Like I said you can always seek and find on your own.

I'll just wait. I make a point of never doing other people's research.

What exactly are you wanting me to provide? The Sun/Earth/Moon relationship? What is known about Solar wind and radiation during an eclipse or if there are any other changes during a total solar eclipse on Earth or Sun? This was a rare event and many balloons, ground measurements, etc... were conducted and the studies from each experiment are not in yet as it will take a while to study and form conclusions.

I really don't know, because I have no idea what you are talking about. You are the one who alluded to "studies" proving your point.

There is so much we don't know, however seems like common sense when such an event takes place energy and the lack of energy play important roles for space weather, sun weather, and earth's weather. Everything is connected.

How does energy play a role in an event that happens like clockwork to the point where we can predict eclipses centuries in advance? How does the moon's orbit affect the sun's energy output? None of these things have obvious correlations like you are suggesting they do.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Stereo is showing a CME during the X2.2 event

More X flaring are definitely possible yes, the region is still mixed up with two spots capable of producing large flares.

On your other comment, I also believe and convinced that there is a connection between the earth, moon and sun and even every planet in the Solar System, to what extend though still remains a question.
You are indeed right, we don't know a lot and have a lot to learn on the matter, that's why I'm also very skeptic when there is a conversation on man made climate change.

Update added at 13:50 UT: AR 12673 has produced 2 X flares today, first an impulsive X2.2 event at 09:10, then the strongest flare of cycle 24, an X9.3 proton event peaking at 12:02 UT. A CME associated with that X9 event could reach Earth late on September 7 or on September 8.

edit on 6-9-2017 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Good thing it wasn't pointed directly at us. The odds of that happening are millions to one. The odds of you being on the side facing the sun when it happens make it even rarer.

Imagine a tennis ball being swung on a string 50 yards out from where you stand and you trying to hit it with a twelve gauge shotgun, blindfolded.

Not so easy.

Beside, the analogy is more like a marble a hundred fifty yards away, the direct effect of an x class flare wouldn't be as sever as everyone makes it out to be.

A super duper x class flare directly impacting the earth would ruin communications and overload the power grid, causing wide spread... dark nights, and wailing twitterers.

I read a short story once by some sci-fi fi author, the people spotted the Mega Solar flare because they saw the moon was extremely bright, waiting to die at dawn when the sun rose...

There was a solar flare back in 1989. That took out parts of the Canadian/USA power grid. In the UK (or Aberdeen at least), we are able to hear one Norwegian FM radio station. Listeners to the local FM station (Northsound) were calling in to complain about interference. I think it was NRG or at least they kept repeating that sound.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Study finds link between sun and hurricanes

This is one of the articles on a possible connection between hurricanes and solar activity.
Not so much to do with solar flares or CME's but with the intensity of the solar cycle.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: intrptr

Not so easy.

There was a solar flare back in 1989. That took out parts of the Canadian/USA power grid. In the UK (or Aberdeen at least), we are able to hear one Norwegian FM radio station. Listeners to the local FM station (Northsound) were calling in to complain about interference. I think it was NRG or at least they kept repeating that sound.

Doesn't take much to start a cascading failure of the Power Grid. A downed power line and tree caused wide spread blackout in 2003...

And thats without any help from the Sun.

They have learned from this though. Systems are more isolated than before. More interrupters are installed to stop surges that create cascading outages.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

A new video from SO on the flare event

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join