It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who makes the laws in the United States?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This thread is an attempt to help those not aware of how a law is created in the United States. With the recent discussion of the DACA issue regarding illegal immigrants, there have been a lot of incorrect ideas thrown around here at ATS. I remember this little video from when I was a kid here in the United States. It is so well done, I remember it to this day, decades after it first aired. Perhaps it will help others here understand the actual process.

Keep in mind, this differs a LOT from an Executive Order, which is only something the president drafts and is reviewed by the judicial branch. The congress (House of Representatives and Senate) has no say or input into an executive order, and therefore, it is not the equivalent to a law. Whereas a law requires congressional approval to be repealed (like the ACA) an executive order can live only as long as the sitting president decides it is relevant, and that president can discontinue an executive order at any time.

ETA: All the School House Rock videos are great learning tools for anyone of any age. I highly recommend them.

edit on 9/5/2017 by Krakatoa because: added additional thoughts

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
When you break a law and get caught, you have to go to court and often need an attorney. Considering Attorney's write the laws it seems that the more laws they create, the more money their members make.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Laws should all come with a five year sunset clause. I'm not saying there should be no possibility of renewing them ... just that a five year review is reasonable.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Another question is who do the laws apply to. Obamacare comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
And when laws go against the constitution, good men become outlaws. This is true today in the north east United States

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

The ones with the most money of course

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

When you break a law and get caught, you have to go to court and often need an attorney. Considering Attorney's write the laws it seems that the more laws they create, the more money their members make.
Another thing to ponder is that laws are created by lawyers who are members of the Law Society .So you have one Society creating laws on another Society who are not a member of the other Society . All members of the Law Society are bound by a oath to that Society .

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I always thought it was done like this.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

The people with the most money make the laws.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Your video is left-wing propaganda. Everyone knows the lobbyists make the laws in this country!

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

The people with the most money make the laws.

Best post of the thread!

Money talks, everything else people talk about is BS.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

There's nothing that says you can't act as your own attorney. Except that attorneys have generally encouraged laws to be written in such a convoluted way that you basically have to go to law school if you're defending yourself in court for anything other than a speeding ticket.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
BIG BUSINESS, by and for, BIG BUSINESS.

top topics

join