It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't "God" come down and tell us what religon is "right"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It sounds like a logical question but, if you think about, with that knowledge what meaning would life have. I belive we are all here to learn and develop from our choices and with, essentially, the answer to everything how would we ever grow.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwintz
Christians persecuting muslims, muslims persecuting christians...etc etc...

Everyone is so dead-set in the "fact" that their relgion is the only way into heaven and that eveyone else is damned to hell. I'm agnostic becuase quite frankly, i think that as long as you are a good person and do good things during your lifetime that you are going to get into heaven. But some christians believe muslims are damned just becuase their muslims, and vice versa.

Why won't God just make it known to all what religion is "right"? It would stop wars, hatred, and ignorant close-mindedness.

Do any of you believe that only members of your religon (whatever religion that might be) are the only ones that will get into "heaven"?

I don't know if anyone else has told you this, but judging by your statement above, you are definitely not agnostic.

Agnostic's do not concern themselves into trying to figure out if there is a god or not. I fall into this category. The statement, "if you are a good person, you will get into heaven", should have added...."if there is a heaven". Because agnostics admittedly don't know. I think that is probably what you meant, but if it is not, I just want you to know you are not agnostic.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

Christians persecuting muslims, muslims persecuting christians...etc etc...

Everyone is so dead-set in the "fact" that their relgion is the only way into heaven and that eveyone else is damned to hell. I'm agnostic becuase quite frankly, i think that as long as you are a good person and do good things during your lifetime that you are going to get into heaven. But some christians believe muslims are damned just becuase their muslims, and vice versa.

Why won't God just make it known to all what religion is "right"? It would stop wars, hatred, and ignorant close-mindedness.

Do any of you believe that only members of your religon (whatever religion that might be) are the only ones that will get into "heaven"?

I don't know if anyone else has told you this, but judging by your statement above, you are definitely not agnostic.

Agnostic's do not concern themselves into trying to figure out if there is a god or not. I fall into this category. The statement, "if you are a good person, you will get into heaven", should have added...."if there is a heaven". Because agnostics admittedly don't know. I think that is probably what you meant, but if it is not, I just want you to know you are not agnostic.

Seapeople: When i say "heaven" i don't necessarilly mean white pearly gates and all that. Although i'm agnostic i believe that their is some sort of life after death, and i don't think that's wrong and that it prevents me from being agnostic. I mean hell (no pun intended:lol
, there could be white pearly gates waiting for a chosen few after they die, but how would any of us know?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Why doesn't God simply force us to love him and do what is right in his eyes? That would end alot of heartache and suffering as well. If people loved you only because you forced them to, how would you feel? No, we have free will and always will be able to make our own decisions. Even if all God did was to point out the 'correct' religion, it would still be strongly influencing people to His way. And all of the peopl who would rebel against it just because they didn't like the dogma or some of the rules, there would much more harsh wars and hatred, because God had already told us what was right.

I am a Christian and I don't believe that someone has to be a member of my religion to get into heaven. They need to follow the prescribed path. That's all. They can do that after never having stepped foot in a church. The whole thing is done on your knees, and in your soul, not in a specific place or with specific people.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The million dollar question. I wish God would do that but it appears it is not in his plan. We are like kids and he is the parent watching us try and figure out our lifes and letting us make our own mistakes. He gave us freewill and boy have we taken it to the limit. As far as heaven goes, I believe in my religion and that I will be going to heaven. My belief is that to go to heaven you should believe in Christ, the Son of God. Others may disagree but I guess we will all find out on judgement day.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If their is a God and I belive their is, and the bible talks of Faith being the first princple of the gospel. Then to tell us would be to end this life test.
However there are people he has come down and told.
Adam, Noah, Enoch, and many others. And some in our day as well.

He never said it would be easy only that it would be worth it.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Ive posted this before, maybe this time actually read it.

Religious Rivalries

Dear Children (and believe us, that's all of you), We consider ourselves pretty patient folks. For instance, look at the Grand Canyon. It took millions of years to get it right
We've been patient through your fashions, civilizations, wars and schemes.

We want to let you know about some of the things that are starting to tick Us off.

First of all, your religious rivalries are driving Us up a wall. Enough already! Let's get one thing straight: These are YOUR religions, not Ours. We're beyond them all. Every one of your religions claims there is only one of Us (which by the way, is absolutely true). And each claims its scriptures were written personally by us, and that all the other scriptures are man-made. How do We even begin to put a stop to such complicated nonsense?

Okay, listen up now. We're your Father AND Mother, and We don't play favorites among Our children.

Also, We hate to break it to you, but We don't write. Our longhand is awful, and We've always been more of "doers" anyway. So, ALL of your books, including those Bibles, were written by men and women. They were inspired, remarkable people, but they also made mistakes here and there. We made sure of that so that you would never trust a written word more than your own living heart.
You see, one human being to Us, even a bum on the street, is worth more than all the Holy Books in the world. That's just the kind of folks we are. Our spirit is not a historical thing. It's alive right here, right now, as fresh as your next breath.
Holy books and religious rites are sacred and powerful, but not more so than the least of you. They were only meant to steer you in the right direction, not to keep you arguing with each other, and certainly not to keep you from trusting your own personal connection with Us.

Which brings Us to Our next point about your nonsense; you act like We need you and your religions to stick up for Us or "win souls" for Our sake. Please, don't do Us any favors. We can stand quite well on our own, thank you. We don't need you to defend Us, and We don't need constant credit. We just want you to be good to each other.

The thing is, We want you to stop thinking of religion as some sort of loyalty pledge to Us.
The true purpose of your religion is so that YOU can become more aware of Us, not the other way around. Believe Us, We know you already. We know what's in each of your hearts, and We love you with no strings attached.
Lighten up and enjoy Us. That's what religion is best for.

What you seem to forget is how mysterious We are.
You look at the petty differences in your Scriptures and say, "Well, if THIS is the truth, then THAT can't be!" But instead of trying to figure out Our Paradoxes and Unfathomable Nature, which by the way, you NEVER will, why not open your hearts to the simple common threads in all religions.
You know what We're talking about. Love and respect everyone. Be kind, even when life is scary or confusing. Take courage and be of good cheer, for We are always with you. Learn how to be quiet, so you can hear Our still, small voice. (We don't like to shout).

Leave the world a better place by living your life with dignity and gracefulness, for you are Our Own Children. Hold back nothing from life, for the parts of you that can die surely will, and the parts that can't, won't.

Simple stuff. Why do you keep making it so complicated? It's like you're always looking for an excuse to be upset. And We're very tired of being your main excuse. Do you think We care whether you call Us: Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Diana, Wakantonka, Brahma, Cerridwen, Father, Mother, God, Goddess or even the Void of Nirvana? Do you think We care which of Our special children you feel closest to, Jesus, Mary, Buddha, Krishna, Gerald, Mohammed or any of the others? You can call Us and Our Special Ones any name you choose, if only you would go about Our business of loving one another as We love you. How can you keep neglecting something so simple?

We're not telling you to abandon your religions. Enjoy your religions, honor them, and learn from them, just as you should enjoy, honor, and learn from your parents.
Know that Our Special Children, the ones that your religions revolve around, all live in the same place, (Our heart), and they get along perfectly, We assure you.

The clergy must stop creating a myth of sibling rivalry where there is none. Our blessed children of Earth, the world has grown too small for your pervasive religious bigotries and confusion. The whole planet is connected by air travel, satellite dishes, telephones, fax machines, rock concerts, diseases, and mutual needs and concerns.
Get with the program! If you really want to help, then commit yourselves to figuring out how to feed your hungry, clothe your naked, protect your abused, and shelter your poor. And just as importantly, make your own everyday life a shining example of kindness and good humor. We've given you all the resources you need, if only you abandon your fear of each other and begin living, loving and laughing together.

We're not really ticked off. We just wanted to grab your attention because We hate to see you suffer.

In Perfect Love and Perfect Trust,

Us

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
He Has And He Does !

He does it on a personal level.

If you sincerely want to know God, he will reveal himself to you. He will do it when and where and how, he decides to. God is the one in charge, he does not take orders from man. He is the Creator and we are the created.

He has given us the bible that gives us all the information necessary to get into heaven and develop a relationship with God.

What Do You Want God To Do If You Refuse To Do What He Asked ?

The bible teaches that if we "SEEK" the Lord we will find him, I personally have found that to be true.

God is no joke and has set rules for us to go by, it is not "Your Way" but the way he established.

I personally have taken the bible for what it says and have found that it will do exactly what it promised it would do.

Before I became a Christian I did not pray for the sick and see them healed, I did not cast out demons, I did not prophecie or operate in the word of wisdom or any of the other "Gifts" of the spirit that the bible teaches "True Believers" operate in.

Since becoming a Christian I operate in all the above and have a "Walk" with God that has allowed God to reveal himself to me.

I have proof of God by the many things he has done through me that leave no doubt whatsoever that God Reveals himself to those that "TRULY" seek him.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Because all religions are right and wrong at the same time. There is no one path to GOD. Many roads lead to the same destination. Why should God have to chose which road for us to take, we don't all start the trip at the same point.

Right again!
I think that NO organized religion is good and NO saint book was written by god.....IT'S ALL BY MAN
God is loving, god is into us and love everyone of us! There is no human better than any other human on earth (not now not ever)
God forgives everything, even if you don't even beleive in it
We have to change our whole system of beleifs, it's critical, because we will destroy each other with religions.

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

God is the one in charge, he does not take orders from man.

not according to the RCC. see their belief of transsubstantiation (sp?)

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
to answer the very first question "why dosnt God come down and tell us what religion is right?" I think that was the question, but anyways.

the reason I would agree with, im not saying that its right, but if I wanted someone to believe in me, and by me showing myself proved that a certain religion was right or that I was the true God. I would always have to show myself to those who have not seen me yet in order for them to believe in me.
the same thing with God. or the God of the bible. my interpretation of the God of the Bible is that he wants us to know him by faith, Jesus said "blessed are those who have not seen me, and yet believe."
so to answer the first question on this thread, is that. God is not going to come down and show us himself. first of all that would be like wearing a white robe and walking through the mud trying not to get dirty. because to God we are ful of sin. and God cannot tolerate that. I know ive sinned plenty of times, but the important thing is that I still try to do what God wants me to.
second thing, like I said before, if he showed himself to us now, he would have to show himself to those who have not seen him, because it wouldnt be fair for us to have the opportunity to see but not the others. not that God cant handle that, but he doesnt want us to believe by sight, he want us to believe by faith.
that is the best answer I can gather from what the bible says. im not saying its absolute, its just the best that I can gather.

Bluetooth

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Stalkingwolf, That was really lovely

I sit here, after studying theology for the better part of 20 years, still asking the questions to which there are no easy answers.

We can sit and argue who's right, and who's wrong for the next 500 years and it won't change a darn thing about the bottom line: that being, there is no one religious doctrine that's perfectly suited to every soul on this earth. Centuries - millenia, even - have shown us that there's simply no right or wrong answer here; and the more we try to force our views on others, the more likely we are to create tension and disharmony between us.

The best we can do - whether or not God exists, and whether or not your version of God is more or less "right" than that of someone else - is hope that at some point we can actually get past those indoctrinated differences between us, and actually start living amongst each other like civilized humans.

If God is up there, I'm fairly sure S/He would be completely appalled by the hatred and prejudice acted upon in the name of religion.

S/He'd also be trying to figure out why we haven't yet realised that underneath those facades, we're all so very, very alike - just simple beings with the same fears, hopes and dreams as everyone from whom we claim to be so different.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't know, what you believe in and what you consider good and evil depends greatly on the enviroment that you live in and what you have been told and experienced. Even animals mimik the behavior of their parents and humans do much the same although on a more complex level and obviously there is more info we can process especially in modern times. There are some core things that the majority of humans do seem to agree are evil but when it comes down to things like whether it's bad for a woman to show her hair in public, whether you should have sex before marriage or whether you should kill cows there seems to be cultures which find these things acceptable and in others they are not acceptable. I'm not comfortable with the idea that someone who lives in a country where the predominent religion is the "wrong" one will have a greater chance of going to hell than someone who was born in a country where they would be more likely to follow the "right" religion because of social factors.

[edit on 23-7-2005 by Trent]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If god did come to earth and tell us what religion is "right" would people even believe it was really him? think about it.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Well i personaly believe that NO religion has accurately depicted "god" because a being of omnipotence and omniscients is way above even our comprehension. "god" might not even be concious of itself, our its creation.
Lets say that "god" is aware of itself and of the universe, then i would say it is highly doubtful that "god" even cares about our little planet. As many religions cant really tackle the concept of space, we have found out over time we are just a grain of sand in a vast desert. If you were the care taker of the desert would you care about a single grain, our would you care about cretain regions of the desert etc...
When we thought that all there was, was earth and the stars were just lights in the sky. It seemed very plausable for the notion of a personal god, but now we know differ.
If god does exist, just remember he doesnt care about you, he doesnt love you. Care for yourself and love yourself.
Because once you break down reality and ask what are the things that you know for a 100 percent fact exist, the only answer one can reply is themselves. For all you know the rest is a dream, so love and whorship the one thing you do know exists, insted of pouring this love into a channel that isnt listening.

P.S. Our insted of getting on your knees and praying to a false god, go and read other books than the "bible" as there are other books out there! Yes i know it may come to a shock for some pious people, but in the last 4k years human kind has been able to produce more than one book!

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
God is dead?

Is concedes to a previous existence, an existence which springs from a mythological somethingness into an ontological nothingness in a further attempt to prove the existence of God by virtue of faith. One must make a priori judgements when trying to prove the existence of God, as they must also filter mythos from emperical statistics, of which, none exist. The beliefe in God seems a reproach from accountability to ones own liabilities of exsitence.

Religion is irrational and a detraction from casuality.

Luxifero

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
God will not come down for one simple reason:
because he already is.

He is always with us -- within the earth, within nature, within ourselves. His omnipotence flows through us. God is not a human, but a great Force and Creator.

To paraphrase an ancient Hindu/Buddhist saying:
"There is one mountain of truth, with many paths to climb it."

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Maybe because there is no god? no?
Maybe religion is just something humans created to control the masses?

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
to make it easier to understand. you cant have the universe in such a good order and design if there was not a designer. our solar system fits perfectly in the galaxy for it to survive. my answer along with that would be for me to say that God made it that was so that our planet would survive in this galaxy not to mention this universe.

little bit of trivia here.

Uni-verse
Uni=Single Verse=spoken sentence

we live in a single spoken sentence.
uh, that sentence was God said "Let there be... "and it was very good.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
God DID come down and tell us...in the form of His Son...and we killed Him.

Jesus said He is truth, He is the Gate, His words are Life....
Narrow is the path that leads to life...and few will find it.
'few' is key

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join