It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Trump and the GOP really think deporting the dreamers will play well for them long term???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

That is the problem with people like you OP. You do stuff because it is good publicity instead of what is right for the country. You see, a good leader does the right thing even when it is unpopular. THAT is what I like about Trump.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Krakatoa

Didn't trump end daca?!?!

That's what gives him ownership..

If congress fixes it before "dreamers" start getting deported, then no harm no foul..

But why would ANYBODY think trump can get the GOP congress and the senate to pass the laws to do it within 6 months?!??

They haven't passed anything else, and I'm pretty sure more than the 3 senators are hard core against letting the dreamers stay, that the GOP has the majority to cover..

What is with this "ownership" crap? I thought the empathy was with the people affected, and not pointing fingers like a 4 year old? So, we see the real face of your ire, that something the president you supported (which was unconstitutional) got removed.

Who is now playing politics with these "children" now?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It was a temporary measure to begin with; has been since Obama signed it into law. He sold it as a measure that had to be taken until Congress got it's act together and passed immigration reform.

Temporary is now over. Those in the program have 6 months to renew their two year reprieve from current immigration law. That gives Congress and dreamers two years to act.

What exactly is the problem?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
It was a temporary measure to begin with; has been since Obama signed it into law. He sold it as a measure that had to be taken until Congress got it's act together and passed immigration reform.

Temporary is now over. Those in the program have 6 months to renew their two year reprieve from current immigration law. That gives Congress and dreamers two years to act.

Point of clarification. It was an Executive Order not a law. Only Congress can pass laws.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Point of clarification. It was an Executive Order not a law. Only Congress can pass laws.

Correct, I do apologise for my choice of words.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Fair enough, if he does and this high stakes political poker hand wins, and he will be applauded for a beautiful political move..

If it fails, and good luck getting all the GOP to vote for it.... then it will be the biggest political mistake in a very long time..

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Didn't trump end daca?!?!

That's what gives him ownership..

If congress fixes it before "dreamers" start getting deported, then no harm no foul..

But why would ANYBODY think trump can get the GOP congress and the senate to pass the laws to do it within 6 months?!??

They haven't passed anything else, and I'm pretty sure more than the 3 senators are hard core against letting the dreamers stay, that the GOP has the majority to cover..

Joshua, Joshua, Joshua take a step back and look at what you are typing. He doesn't have to get a GOP Congress, he has to get CONGRESS to pass the right legislation. Spin it anyway you want, but there will be enough votes overallfrom both sides to get a Dreamer Law done. That is unless the Democrats are far stupider than I give them credit for.

It's time for both Parties to put their cards on the table, Trump has called their bluff. If There is not Dreamer and Immigration Legislation done, it will be Congress's fault. It's not like this is a sudden new idea, there are at least 4 Bills floating around both Chambers.

I doubt either party will want to look like the bad guy in regards to Dreamers. They also have to pass meaningful immigration reform.

Are you scared that Democrats will have to vote with Republicans on Immigration Reform?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Fair enough, if he does and this high stakes political poker hand wins, and he will be applauded for a beautiful political move..

If it fails, and good luck getting all the GOP to vote for it.... then it will be the biggest political mistake in a very long time..

And since much of the GOP party stabbed him in the back during the election, he is now in a position to publicly tell them do your jobs or the people will be voting you out. President Trump is not beholden the "party", which is one of the reasons he was elected.

link   
Congress will fast track the "Dreamers" into full citizenship along with their family and kids. Not quite what the right wingers want but thats what will happen. America is so addicted to cheap labor and nothing will change that. Corporations run everything.
edit on 5-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

Because dreamers and their supporters where once overwhelming Trump supporters?

Hardly.

It would have been a political mistake for Trump not to resined the order. Dreamers are lucky he has given them 6 months to renew their two year waver. Instead of just throwing them out in the cold like Trump supporters want.
edit on 5-9-2017 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Congress can't do that. That can only be done by the executive branch's state department.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I'm going to hold you to that applause Joshua.

Don't worry I will criticize everyone if they don't get it done. But in the end it's Congress who makes the Laws, not the President.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Are you scared that Democrats will have to vote with Republicans on Immigration Reform?

I think the Democratic leadership is scared they are going to have to vote with Republicans on immigration reform.

This is one of the big issues why I am personally not a Democrat. They keep leaving these groups of people out to dry because this is a hot button issue they can exploit for their own political gain.

They can do it once again to be sure. But if they do it will be much harder to wash their hands of it. They don't have a President in the white house to throw their base a bone.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: tulermank

Congress can't do that. That can only be done by the executive branch's state department.

Spoken like a true Trump supporter.....

but....

Then why is Trump kicking it back into congress's lap? deny ignorance...try it you'll like it. You're not from around these parts are ya?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Then why is Trump kicking it back into congress's lap? deny ignorance...try it you'll like it.

I think you misunderstand. Congress cannot "fast track" anything. They need to do it though the proper congressional channels via a bill to affect or create a law. The presidential executive order is a fast track. That is what the previous president used to bypass the existing immigration laws, in other words, "fast track it".

That is not the constitutional way to enact laws. Only congress can do that, which is why it is now in the hands of that group of liars, cheats, and backstabbers. Time fore them to get off their collective backsides and (in public view) either pass or not legislation to protect those poor DACA souls.

edit on 9/5/2017 by Krakatoa because: spelling

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I don't think OP knows the news. It was done with an executive order by Obamanation. It was illegal. Congress must do it, and Trump gave them time to do it. Pay attention.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

That is not the constitutional way to enact laws. Only congress can do that, which is why it is now in the hands of that group or liars, cheats, and backstabbers. Time fore them to get off their collective backsides and (in public view) either pass or not legislation to protect those poor DACA souls.

Except congress is only beholden to the Corporate Oligarchy and that's the way legislation always goes.
Corporate America is addicted to cheap labor. It's an established pattern and not gonna change.

win win for the Mexicans and win win for the neocons....

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I don't know, but they will secure my vote in 2020.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Speaking as a legal immigrant myself, I applaud Trump. My whole family are legal immigrants who went through years of process to get citizenship. Here in Canada there are no illegals. Why? Because illegals are not tolerated in Canada.

Illegals are not tolerated in Mexico either nor are they in most Central and South American countries.

Our immigration policies are pretty generous in comparison.

When issues are thought of on emotions, the brain is not engaged.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

That is not the constitutional way to enact laws. Only congress can do that, which is why it is now in the hands of that group or liars, cheats, and backstabbers. Time fore them to get off their collective backsides and (in public view) either pass or not legislation to protect those poor DACA souls.

Except congress is only beholden to the Corporate Oligarchy and that's the way legislation always goes.
Corporate America is addicted to cheap labor. It's an established pattern and not gonna change.

win win for the Mexicans and win win for the neocons....

I see you moved the goalposts. OK, I'll play along still.

Your statement may be true, but, is it not still their job to create/repeal legislation for the United States?

If they are presented with this and do not pass it, who then is responsible for the fate of these formerly DACA protected people? People who were given a temporary opportunity to be deferred fro being deported while the executive order was in effect. Have they tried to beat a path to citizenship in that time they were being protected?

Prior to that, they were likely afraid of applying since they would be arrested. Then, along come the executive order known now as the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). This allowed them to be protected from arrest if known to be brought here illegally as children. No more fear of being arrested if they applied for citizenship now....until the temporary deferral was rescinded.

But, how many did that...once they became adults?

Or did they spend that valuable time working and raising a family with no regard for the wonderful opportunity they were given.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join