It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLM? Do they matter enough for you to step up?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: Edumakated

A lot of the things you say and the way you say them resonates with me, so based on nothing more than internet dialog, I'd say we are similar. Your dad did a thankless job, but as you say, he loved it. I just can't help but think how many lost people there are who might benefit from the same situation and embrace the same joys of work that some police have. there are many more positive things I can think of for this idea than negative ones.

I definitely can see a benefit, but it isn't so much just police. It is seeing any black face doing something positive - ESPECIALLY BLACK MEN. So many people in these hoods simply have no life goals or any idea as to what it means to be a productive citizen. Seeing black men being successful doing something productive instead of just sports and entertainment.

The big criticism I had about Obama was he didn't use his bully pulpit to really push the black community to do better. I think he had like one speech where he talked about black fathers, but he absolutely failed in my eyes. Instead of saying it is time to step up, you can be whatever you want in life, stay in school, etc, etc... he just trotted out the same old victimology.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I am very much "pro police" in that I firmly believe there are many more good cops than there are bad ones, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the black community had an argument. Knowing people who grew up in rough areas, I have heard first hand accounts of how interactions went, and it's like a bad movie compared to my personal (first world problems) I grew up with. So as I said, I believe this is an honest attempt at bridging the gap, but it would require a very substantial commitment from those who think this is a real issue.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Down the road we'll have anew group like BLM......stupidity breeds, and short of genocide, we're not going to get stupid people to not breed. We will always have a BLM & Antifa , KKK, type groups, can't stop them from breeding and raising hate.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Down the road we'll have anew group like BLM......stupidity breeds, and short of genocide, we're not going to get stupid people to not breed. We will always have a BLM & Antifa , KKK, type groups, can't stop them from breeding and raising hate. Double Post & no idea why.
edit on 5-9-2017 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Cops don't change policy, they enforce it.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I am very much "pro police" in that I firmly believe there are many more good cops than there are bad ones, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the black community had an argument. Knowing people who grew up in rough areas, I have heard first hand accounts of how interactions went, and it's like a bad movie compared to my personal (first world problems) I grew up with. So as I said, I believe this is an honest attempt at bridging the gap, but it would require a very substantial commitment from those who think this is a real issue.

Given I have multiple family members in law enforcement, I know I am biased. However, as a black male, I can state that I've never had any issue with police and I have been pulled over multiple times. While I certainly will acknowledge that there are crooked cops, I think a lot of the issues are also created by the black community.

I've stated in numerous debates on ATS, that my father drilled into my head at a young age that the best way to interact with cops is to simply STFU. Say yes sir, no sir. Take your ticket and deal with any disagreement later. Arguing with police on the side of the rode is not going to end well, even if I know in my heart I am correct.

I've had plenty of friends who are constantly complaining about police. However, when you really analyze their issues, their own actions are always the root cause - talking back, carrying themselves in a threatengin manner, etc.

I recall back when I was in college, we used to have this huge party called Freaknik in Atlanta (google it). Anyway, it would shut the ENTIRE CITY down with chaos and debauchery. It was mostly black college students. Anyway, the city got fed up and cops where not playing.

I was driving a car with four other guys. I wasn't drinking, but they had open containers. We got pulled over a road block. Cop politely, but sternly asked to just dump the alcohol. So instead of just dumping the alcohol, this dumbazz riding with us decides he wants to debate the cop on open container law. Cops are already on edge because of the lawlessness of the event and this fool decides to stir the pot.

Now had the cop yank our bad azzes out of the car and arrested us, the headline would read "Cops arrest black college students" and no mention of what actual precipitated the issue.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
you coulndt be more wrong, becoming a cop changes your way of thinking, remember blue lives matter lol

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

blm and antifa wouldnt exist if white racism didnt

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlukeSkywalker
No lives matter...because this reality is VR even though most don't realize it. You die and just wake up. Is losing a "game" of life THAT important?

Well yeah, you loose all your points and your weapons and objects.
Plus, you have no idea where you're going to re-spawn.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I can't speak to the rest of the US but at least in Houston, TX, the "type" of black person who goes to the Academy to become a Cop is an entirely different type of person than the type that belongs to BLM. In fact, I doubt the two would get along very well at all. Houston recruits successfully through the "churched" rural/suburban black "communities" which have been in existence around the Houston area for over 100 years. The black "Christian" Churches are a force with which to be reckoned actually, but that's a story for a different day.

I guess my point is that its sort of a cultural thing, at least in East Texas.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik
a reply to: openyourmind1262

racism is color blind and nice enough to include all races. (the one's that teach it anyway)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Cops don't change policy, they enforce it.

Um...yes, I agree. not sure what that has to do with the OP.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I'd prefer we all live as brothers, rather than us. vs. them, so this might be a small start to that.

The vast majority of us do live as brothers. It's the small groups that make something out of nothing...whether its KKK, BLM, Fascist, anarchist, Antifa etc are all extremist groups that are actually few in numbers. They get noticed because they are loud and the media feeds off them where the silent majority just get on with life on a daily bases.

I remember back with Ferguson a couple of my black friends asked if anyone there had a job since if they did they wouldn't be running around all crazy late at night.

I asked one of my best friends that happens to be black about what he thinks about BLM, and he told me that the reason he lives in a predominantly white neighborhood is because blacks tend to be killed by other blacks...

BLM is not the voice for the majority of the black community, just like any extremest group only have a voice for their own limited views.

In my eyes, the thug culture is barried deep in both black and white communities, look at BLM and ANTIFA

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Well probably because....
Your whole OP was based on your theory that if more "African American men", joined the police forces that it would somehow, end the insanity in the law enforcement community

Doesn't really make since to me either....
There is alot of respected African American men in uniform or just in positions of authority period...even more so in the police forces

And it dose not matter the color of the person's skin it depends on the person and how they are

To my belief just becoming a law enforcement officer or something of that nature can over time Change a person could be for the worst could be for the best

Sorry but your whole OP makes no since

If a Certin police officer or officers do not like African Americans or are racists, african American men joining that force is not going to change there mind.

To be honest I did think it was a racial stab/joke kinda thing untill you said it wasn't

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: magnetik

What is "white racism" didnt know there was such a thing?..... is there "pink racism" too?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: magnetik

Keep telling yourself that.......eventually to you it will be the truth.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik

BLM started as the "I hate all cops" groups and Antifa started as the 99%ers under Obama, so they just re-brand as needed. Switching from a Black Pres to a white one and now it is all about white racism.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That was one of the biggest disappointments I had with Obama.

Here was, to all appearances, a successful black man and a strong family man in the bargain.

He could have been such a role model on that score! But he squandered that.

I could have forgiven so much if he had used that family man angle instead of opining about how every dead black kid was his son.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Hey Network Dude: great post, and I wish it was that simple. Frankly, there are many police departments that police brutality and seemingly unwarranted shootings have occurred in that have black officers, and likely a proportionate number of them, as represents the public in that area. My point is, I don't think this is the solution. The strength and importance of "the thin blue line" goes way beyond what is mentioned here. The importance of that, perhaps, here, is the understanding of what these officers face everyday, that perhaps add to their becoming trigger happy. However, having said that, it's still hard for me to defend that who disproportionately suffers are black men, period, end of story.

And anticipating what someone wishing to play the devil's advocate would say to me here, about their facing a disproportionate amount of crime or stops involving that same demographic, I would have to say there are many complicated reasons for that, if it's even true: one, primary, being poverty. Poverty is the chief cause of crime, not color, race or religion.

The limitations visited on any central demographic will most certainly ensure a spike in crime, or just being on the streets, being profiled, being available to detain, beaten or shot at.....

This is a multi faceted, complicated issue, and when distilled into simplicities, just gets more racist and less clear or truthful, imho.......
but, kudos to you for making suggestions or even trying....
tetra

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

they do idiot

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join