It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reported Fireball In Sky Caught in BC, Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
RCMP receive dozens of calls from Alberta to B.C. about reported fireball in sky
www.cbc.ca...

Hundreds of people in Alberta and B.C. took to social media to report seeing a giant fireball illuminate the night sky late Monday, and the RCMP told media it received dozens of calls about what seemed to be the same event.

...the amazed stargazers described seeing a flaming object turn the sky an eerie green before fading into a dark orange as it approached the horizon.

...emails describing the flash that took place at around 10:14 pm PT. Some described a loud bang that shook homes and high rise buildings.

..."the entire sky lit up. "Huge boom about 1m later,"

Skrepnek later said he initially thought it was a power surge.

"Then, to the east, I saw a reddish fireball streak and break up," he said in a brief statement posted on Twitter.

"Nothing happened afterward, then within 60 seconds there was a massive sound (like a long, rolling thunderclap) for about five seconds."

According to its latest estimated trajectory, the society believes the fireball entered the atmosphere near Boswell, B.C. and terminated near Meadow Creek, B.C., roughly 100 kilometres away.

This is pretty cool! Once again, I miss out on something cool by mere minutes. Should not have walked into the house early with my bbq'd meats dang it!

edit on 5-9-2017 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Maybe it has targeted one of the ATS MODS?

Lets hope not.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

There is a MOD in BC???? Where?!??!

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Well the biggest asteroid which just went by last week or so ...
it has been said they travel in clusters , so you get large ones , and small ones , maybe it 's a small , just passing by , like the big one did

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I'm sorry.....I had too.
Couldn't fight the temptation.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I saw this on a facebook post that was captured with only a few trees in the background. It showed it until it disappeared behind a small hill followed by a big flash oif light, I think hitting the ground. I'd post it but I cant find a link and I seem to remember not to post stuff from facebook. Amazing!!

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
another view www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Looks like a Bolide to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Nice fireball!

We had one in W MI over the weekend, not quite as bright, but close. I didn't see it myself, but probably could have if I'd looked out the window a few minutes later than I did. I have a habit of peeking out the windows at random to see what (if anything) is going on in the sky. Usually not much, lol. That night there was, my timing was just off.

www.instagram.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dogwooddoors
I saw this on a facebook post that was captured with only a few trees in the background. It showed it until it disappeared behind a small hill followed by a big flash oif light, I think hitting the ground. I'd post it but I cant find a link and I seem to remember not to post stuff from facebook. Amazing!!

The big flash of light was most likely NOT associated with it hitting the ground. The flash instead might have been an airburst, or pieces of it brightening as it broke up.

Fireball meteors that do eventually hit the ground as meteorites will slow down enough (slowed by the atmosphere) to stop glowing, and possibly spend the final few minutes of its flight as a non-glowing rock moving at about 200 mph (terminal velocity).

For example, the Peekskill fireball of 1992 (one that I was fortunate enough to witness) was seen as a fireball mostly over the Pittsburgh PA area, but was also visible from parts of Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, and Maryland. However, by the time what was left of it hit the ground (actually it hit a car in a driveway) in Peekskill NY 300+ miles from Pittsburgh, it was no longer moving fast enough to be visibly glowing.

So maybe a part of that BC meteor in the OP's video did make it tp the ground as a meteorite. However, it most likely did not do so "behind that small hill" in a burst of light.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
From Google : " rare examples of lunar and Martian meteorites may sell for $1,000/gram or more — almost forty times the current price of gold! "

Watch this be flocked for a few months now... maybe Intel will buy some land up ..

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Y3K89

Did it hit the ground?
Where?
edit on 9/6/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Always on my case phase

haha..

No but really naive too not think there IS NOT fragments around the burn area(s)
edit on 6-9-2017 by Y3K89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Seems likely it entered the Pacific Ocean if it reached the surface at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
So its somewhere in Meadow Creek ...

CBC-Meadow Creek

The area, in B.C.'s East Kootenay region, is sparsely populated. Mark Healy, the owner of the Meadow Creek General store, says not much happens in the region and finding work is tough in the valley. "People are out looking for meteor pieces," he said. "Employment is bad in the (Lardeau) Valley, so they're out looking." A fragment could be a valuable find. In Canada, meteorites are owned by the owner of the property where they were found. In order to be sold as a meteorite, the rocks need to be typed and certified as a real meteorite.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Y3K89
So its somewhere in Meadow Creek ...

Is it? Are you sure? Your source:

There's also the question of what exactly the fireball — which is an exceptionally bright meteor — was made of. There are more likely to be fragments if the fireball was made of a rocky, asteroidal matter rather than if it was a icy, cometary substance, he said.

I don't think Intel is going to be buying land there. Not because of a meteor anyway.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
We will have to see what if anything turns up - regardless.. the rationale is that they WILL be looking .. they have a 3D trajectory model for eyes can see..

amsmeteors - British Columbia map/area

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I hear it's a good area for various fungi as well.
You never know what you might find but trespassing sucks.

How big do you figure it was? Originally?

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The video's and witnesses so far show a huge high altitude fragmenting detonation. Anything that hit the ground would most likely have been at terminal velocity, however I bet that thing dropped a lot of rocks. Good trajectory from spaced out witnesses and some good video should locate that strewn field, but the terrain may be a problem.

new topics

top topics

join