It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lilium, a Flying Car Start-up, Raises $90 Million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This is pretty cool and these flying cars will probably self flying at the end of the day.

LONDON — As interest in flying cars continues to swell, one of the most prominent start-ups working on the technology has gained a big new backer.

Lilium Aviation, a German company that held a successful test flight of the Eagle, its two-seat electric jet at their Munich base this year, announced on Tuesday that it has raised $90 million in a new round of financing.

Lilium is among several companies looking to usher in an era of Jetsons-type flying cars, including those backed by the Google co-founder Larry Page, Uber and Airbus. But the two-year-old company is trying to stand out by focusing on an electric jet — unlike other models that effectively function more like hovercraft.

www.nytimes.com...

I think these cars are some of the best looking flying cars I have seen.

If we get there, the future will be very interesting in terms of technology. The problem is, Iran will eventually be worse than North Korea with Nukes and like Dr. Kaku said as we transition from type 0 to type 1 universe, there will be an opposing force that wants to stop the world from advancing.

I just don't see people actually flying these things. There will be a pilot option but for the most part I see self flying cars. You put in a destination and it flies you there.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I was going to make this thread but I got busy with work. The Lilium is so cool I can't stand it! I want one!

Given the power densities of current battery technologies I wonder how long the flight time would be between charges. Battery capacity equals weight. So the flight time is going to be an issue. By my preliminary calculations for it to fly it would only have a six minute flight time.

edit on 5-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I prefer the Octocopter concept here. Lots of redundancy built in for safety too.

Workhorse CEO Steve Burns introduces the SureFly personal octocopter capable of carrying two passengers up to 70 miles.

However, I have yet to see a flying prototype at this point.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Too much wing.
The Jetson's cars were sweet, no big wings sticking out to snag on stuff.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
All I gotta say is that these better be completely self flying. I don't trust most people to safely operate a car that doesn't fly.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I was going to make this thread but I got busy with work. The Lilium is so cool I can't stand it! I want one!

Given the power densities of current battery technologies I wonder how long the flight time would be between charges. Battery capacity equals weight. So the flight time is going to be an issue. By my preliminary calculations for it to fly it would only have a six minute flight time.

This one is currently at 20 min flight time.
Moore's law should apply. Although affordable all electric
cars should happen first.
www.cnn.com...
edit on 5-9-2017 by UnderKingsPeak because: link

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yeah, just another trinket by ol' Santa Claws...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here's a more in depth video that goes into some detail on how this will work.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
We are a long way from flying cars. Even as taxis like Lilium is planning. Lots of restricted air space out there to fly around in, I just dont see it happening in the 50 or even 75 years.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
All these people getting excited about flying cars has never dealt with the FAA. Regulation strangulation will end it.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Baaah the Jetsons said we'd all be using them by now.

If anyone is desperate to get a flying car, you an buy the Moller on eBay

www.theverge.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
1st
Thats NOT a car....Not even a FLYING car...

2nd
Not a car...

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
I prefer the Octocopter concept here. Lots of redundancy built in for safety too.

Lots of modular rotor pods that only operate at 75% but can increase to 100% in the event of singular failure would provide redundancy.

They could even have a redundant power supply with a redundant circuit that cuts in if something goes wrong??

Still wouldn't catch me in one until Skyhooks/Antigrav belts come as standard.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

Moore's law should not apply since it most definitely does not govern chemistry in the slightest...

What gave you that silly idea

top topics

join