It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRMA Preps, What Are You Doing?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
I'm thinking of retiring in Georgia,when I build a place there will have a basement,as well as an elevated pad,build it to So Calif standards,seems a lot in blighted areas do little to prepare,and depend on government

Go a little further . Have one built in North Georgia on the side of a hill or one of our small mountains.
I did . When it came to the closing part, they asked about flood insurance. I told them if my place floods, it would be of biblical proportion and forget the check....

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
We've lived along the coast since 1990, and every year we get our "hurricane suplies" ready. I evacuated (hubby stayed to take care of the business) during Floyd, and at the time it was the largest mass evacuation the U.S. ever had. It took me 10 hours to drive from Savannah to Macon with our animals and small daughter. Swore I'd never do that again. Then Matthew came last year. We didn't flood, but were without power (a generator can only do so much) and fresh water for 5 days. Not sure I want to do THAT again either!

Some "been there, done that, got the tshirt" advice:

If staying:

1) Fill up gas tanks and spare tanks
2) Have cash
3) Get drinking water, but also have water that you can use for everything else. I hated pouring bottled water into the toilet tank just to flush (I don't have the luxury to go outside, lol) when needed.
4) Don't just buy a case of tuna fish. Have some variety. And rice can be cooked with canned coconut water - yummy!
5) Entertainment items like board games, playing cards and books. If I had a dime for every time my sons said they were bored....
6) Meds and personal items for 4 to 5 days.

If leaving:

1) see #1 through 6 above. All of it can be applied to being stuck in traffic for 10 hours.
2) You can't bring your entire house (unless you live in a camper). Most of what we own are just things that can be replaced. Family pictures that you don't have any way to replace, insurance documents, and small hierlooms can go with you. Anything else, put in plastic bags and keep off of the floor.
3) Remember that many, if not most, Rx meds will not be filled over state lines. Even in a town a few hours away have given me flack for trying to refill. I don't know if the pharmacies are more lenient during a natural disaster, but it's not something I'd try to gamble with.

Be safe everyone!
edit on 9/5/2017 by Lolliek because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I think it's a little hard to get your prescription filled if the DEA controls. Some will not be able to get their medications filled because of that.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Even though it looks like the track has moved away from east coast Virginia, it could change. Plus we have 3 more months of hurricane season. I started with thoroughly photographing my home and my possessions, in case I need to make insurance claims. Made an inventory of what to take with me in case of evacuation, and what I need if I stay.

I was one of the lucky ones in hurricane Isabelle, my power was only out for 3 days. I know folks that went for 3 weeks with no power. Isabelle was a Cat 1 storm. So I will plan on having canned and dry food items and be sure I have propane for my grill if it looks like I will be impacted.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Why aren't we shooting hurricanes with energy weapons?

I blame adults. No imagination.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I am out of the danger zone, but my dad lives in central Florida.

he gassed up his truck, brought in extra water, he has more than enough food stuffs, He restocked propane for the grill as well as is putting up storm shutters.

Best prep he has is where the house is built is on an elevated bit of land, and for some reason my home town rarely gets touched by truly devastating weather. *hope that continues*

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
Yep, they got hit by Eloise and although they didn't have flooding issues, they did have all the other issues so they decided to close up the house and avoid potential problems by getting away. They are retired so have no problem taking off until the danger is past.

Heard from friends in Charleston last night. They spent the day getting out the hurricane shutters and checking supplies. The track will determine whether they stay and ride it out or go inland to the mountains.

We had our first ever hurricane evacuation last year when we were visiting Charleston. Nine hours to get from Charleston to Asheville...because we waited until the evacuation order came. Won't make that mistake again. Chain hotels along the evacuation route were charging $700/night for a two bed room! Luckily we found a locally owned motel that wasn't into price gouging.

Stay safe friends!

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I already had bottled water. survival food for months, propane cooking stoves, a duffle bag with shelter stuff & my irreplaceable papers like IDs/birth certs/bank acct info/ san-disk memory sticks w/ files & backup stuff....

the household might go to my son's house that is a few miles inland than our 4 blocks from ocean house is...

not only watching the Carribean & IRMA but watching the west coast weather & jet-stream that brings the western+NW weather to the East coast...a high pressure cell usually keeps the storms at sea where they spin out in the ocean & don't even phase Bermuda... hoping that projection unfolds
edit on th30150464107205512017 by St Udio because: typo

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

I hope people are doing SOMETHING... I just read this and it is truly frightening.

If it stays on track and reaches the Florida Straits, the water there is warm enough that the already "intense" storm could become much worse with wind speeds potentially reaching 225mph, warned Kerry Emanuel, an MIT meteorology professor. "People who are living there (the Florida Keys) or have property there are very scared, and they should be," Emanuel said.
source

I can't even imagine!

Granted it might not even 'hit' the USA but poor poor Cuba and whoever it does hit. Honestly, I wouldn't take the chance it's not going to hit Florida/East Coast - it just wouldn't be worth it.

I don't think this is going to be chicken little crying 'the sky is falling' - sounds more like the sky will fall!!!

peace

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I hope most who can evac, decide to do so SOONER rather than later. waiting to the last minute will prove to be a huge (yuge) headache. Knowing that Fl is close to sea level, those who stay and are in the path, kind of need to do the math. If you are someone who needs to be rescued, you are putting others at risk, and if it was avoidable, well, it's just a bad idea.

Stay safe, and if you need somewhere to pitch a tent, let me know.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Ya think it time to get out
Link Update

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

yup University of South Florida is reporting water temps in the 90's very ugly situation, but it is going only 14 mph so it could still go a lot of directions.

I am torn on this one, personally I want it to miss Florida (got family there) but if this thing does not hit land soon to weaken it could be a very nasty one.

Hoping for a strong right turn soon, but I do not think so, also discussing with my dad if I should fly in to help him... he wants me to wait and if need be fly in after the storm.

Hate sitting so far away watching a disaster in slow motion.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Please make the check out to Slightly Skeptical.

I am in South Florida and plan on staying put. I have several weeks of food, a generator, 45 gallons of gas, storm shutters and most other things I will need to outlast the power outages.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Storm chaser Jeff Piotrowski, is saying if it's a cat 5, get out, get out early.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I live in western South Carolina so I'm not doing anything yet. If the eye passes over my area or close, I'm wondering about tornadoes or any high winds. I've been through a hurricane before living in southeastern NC before moving here. I have a lot of empty jars and jugs. I might fill up with water if the storm approaches my area just in case. I have no fear of floods unless a tsunami higher than 600 feet goes this far inland. In fact I live higher than the tops of several trees in the distance. I'm hoping no trees blow over on mine or relatives property either. I have a chain saw but would need to sharpen or change the blades and buy more chain saw oil. I live in the city with a small yard. I don't exactly use it much. I had a tree blow down 2 years ago.

I remember during a hurricane in southeastern NC, I was glad I parked my car on the side of the house away from some trees. Lots of branches were blown down. Fortunately our trees were mostly ok. My car was green with tiny bits of leaves coating everything. The trees in the backyard looked like the trees in those nuclear blast film clips.
This was like a weak hurricane in my location with some gusts up to 100 or so since we were over 100 miles from the center.
edit on 6/9/17 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Don't forget your furry family members. Prep with them in mind. Gather their medical/shot records and add it to your important documents.

If you end up needing animal health care away from home, some places won't touch your furry family member without proper documents.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Get out early or hunker down, just had the argument with my sisters ex who wants to take the girls when it makes landfall and evacuate with hurricane force winds and heavy rains, he is an idiot.

His eldest kid told him to pound sand thankfully.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

If in South Florida I'd been already out YESTERDAY as Cat 4 - 5 is lethal in anything short of concrete bunker and then there's storm surge.

Not looking good that area at all.

There's a point where bravado becomes poor decision making.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This has been reliable in past, nailed Katrina about 4 days out.

USNAVY

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join