It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure how i feel about him now.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
kotaku.com...

Not going to lie. This is kind of disheartening. I grew up with mario being a plumber.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

He never was a plumber, he just identified as one.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
kotaku.com...

Not going to lie. This is kind of disheartening. I grew up with mario being a plumber.

Well... It did concern me having a plumber perform medicine in Dr. Mario.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Remember Crash Bandicoot saying "Plumber boy, mustache man, your days are numbered!" ?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

That was another game i used to love. But yeah i remember.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Why couldn't Mario be a plumber at a construction site? Don't those tall buildings get plumbing installed too?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Mario is the man!

You just made me wish I had a computer or console again.

Nostalgia. I was probably around 5 when my brother came home from toys r us with a super nintendo and super mario.. I think he also got desert strike(helicopter gulf war game)

we used to rent starfox all the time haha from a "video rental store." lol.. not sure why we rented it without buying it but whatever..

mario 3 will always be one of my favorite games of all time.. so much character in that game.
edit on 4-9-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Did he go to college and get a better job?

I hope so.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Is he now a Closeted, bi-curious, transgendered, demisexual, fluid, genderqueer, gynesexual, hermaphrodite?

Would only make sense......

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Is he now a Closeted, bi-curious, transgendered, demisexual, fluid, genderqueer, gynesexual, hermaphrodite?

Well, I knew Mario when he was still a hot blonde girl. Before the Mario brothers became the Mario brothers, it was all about the sisters - the great Giana sisters.

Mario and Luigi used to be Maria and Gianna.
So you are not that far off is not that far off, really.

(Info for those poor bastards no arround in the glory days of the C64)

edit on 4-9-2017 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is totally disheartening. I don't know how I feel about him now either.

edit on 4-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Damn libtards; first Joe the Plumber, and now Mario.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

My first PC! I miss it.

Games like,
Bards Tale

My roomate and I literally spent MONTHS of day and nigh shifts to finish this game in College. With LOTS of "herbal" help.

Zork

Space taxi

And my personal favorite, Soccer

edit on 9 4 2017 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

You could always get a Retron. It's an emulator console. The base model can be bought off Amazon for under $50. That one plays any NES game cartridge. The top tier one plays game for everything older than N64, including game boy cartridges. The old games are cheap as dirt now too. You can find some games for like $1. Luckily I saved all mine. I play NES games more than my ps4 and pc combined. You can use the old controllers, and even accessories like the gun.

On topic:
I'm with you, it's disappointing that they're changing it. Especially because there's no distinct reason. But as long as they don't change his uniform, I guess it doesn't bother me too much. ..i guess.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Well, I knew Mario when he was still a hot blonde girl. Before the Mario brothers became the Mario brothers, it was all about the sisters - the great Giana sisters.

And I was there .....ever heard of the Vic-20 ? or the Pet ? Sinclair ?
But , You are incorrect. Mario started in Donkey Kong way back....and was a "plumber"
Peace

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: DupontDeux

And I was there .....ever heard of the Vic-20 ? or the Pet ? Sinclair ?
But , You are incorrect. Mario started in Donkey Kong way back....and was a "plumber"
Peace

Sure I have, but the game was never on those systems. It is, however, a C64 classic (and a C64 original) from the system's glory days in the late eighties.

And yes, you are right, I am wrong - GDS ripped off Super Mario Bros, not the other way around. My apologies, I have always thought GDS came first. We did not have arcades back then where I lived, so I knew Gianna before I knew Mario. But no excuse, I was just flat out wrong.

However, Mario was not a plumber until Mario Bros. And he was not really Mario until that either.

(I've double checked the following, I am not fond of being wrong, haha)

In Donkey Kong he never had a profession beyond that of 'worker', though Miyamoto later said - and I am paraphrasing - "if anything, given the environment, a construction site, he would be a carpenter" (as the american marketing would go on to mention). The carpenter thing has now become canon, but that is a bit revisionistic. To me his 'real' profession is a plumber.

At the time (of Donkey Kong) Miyamoto generically called him Mr. Video, and ingame he was called Jumpman. However, at some point the American marketing guys released a flyer advertising the available arcade games. The flyer was very 'dramatic' and called for a name other than the nondescript "jumpman", so the marketing guys came up with the (at the time) non-canonic name Mario. They also made him a carpenter.

The flyer tells the tale of "little Mario, the carpenter" and his struggles to rescue "the beautiful maiden" (which, I presume, later became or was the inspiration for Princess Peach).

It was with the 1983 Mario Bros. arcade game that he became officially known as Mario, and it was also here, in the New York sewers, he became a plumber.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Actually , the plumber thought was retrograded TO Donkey Kong. They tied the original Mario Bros back to the construction site and called him a plumber. All construction sites have plumbers .

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
Star just for the mention of one of the greatest RPGs of all time
The "Bard's Tale" series , "Wasteland" (the ancestor of Fallout , ya know) , "Might and Magic" series all staples of the original gamers.

BTW - you can still play the oldies using DosBox even on Windows 10 64 and Ryzen/Nvidia Titan gaming systems.
I do . Every now and then. Especially Wasteland for sentimental value. Taking me back to where it all began...

edit on 9/5/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join