It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma What Should I Do

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Back in 80's and early 90's lived in suburbs of Dallas.

Law on the books then was one could shoot a felon anytime even fleeing, A misdemeanor thief after official sunset even fleeing.

Only time one had back down was daytime misdemeanor property theft.

Wonder that still the case, help with looters which in emergency conditions are committing felony.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Do you have a safe enough place to hunker down? If not have a safe place to relocate to, trying to leave after the storm can mean a crowded panic central i95.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: InterstellarSloth
A couple of models show Irma slamming right into where I am with 135 MPH winds at 10 meters above ground. I am also located about 1 minute from the water. Question is, should I run?

Read Ezekiel then the Book of John in the Holy Bible then repent and ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: InterstellarSloth

If it starts gettiing too close maybe secure items you can take with you in your transportation.
The other larger important items lock away in the highest location in your house. Move as many items as you can from the lower areas in your house to higher areas also.
Maybe try and plug your basement drains with cloth dipped in detergent not bleach to prevent back up sewage.
Then retreat to a safer location off site, like close family or friends or if you can afford it get a hotel and wait it out.

GOOD LUCK

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
To OP,

If you are not evacing by Wednesday from South Florida then probably to late due, traffic, fuel availability.

Then there's uncertainty in storm path after South Florida which could take it anywhere from mid gulf Coast to the Carolinas - to soon to tell as models and ensembles loose much accuracy at 5 day point.

You could end up in path anyway.

I'd look for concrete and lots of it, preferably above any surge possibility - 20'+

I think you're in a built up area of affluence so go find solid concrete structure you can use as plan "b" if things appear to be going towards eyewash winds.

Few residential buildings are designed with this in mind.

Look for anything "poured" that gives southern and eastern protection from winds. For instance parking structures with "tinker toy" upside down "tee" construction are not good.

Older buildings with concrete panels are better than new fake stucco types.

You have many days to scout out something more inland, higher elevation, stronger construction - do so.

Meanwhile if you have funds get bottled or jugged water like 5 minutes ago - at least gallon a day/10 days worth.

Sporting goods get water purification straw or bottle with filter good for pathogens.

If under age get ball bat, knife or bb gun for protection.

Get 8'x8' tarp for shade along with 100' paracord to hang it or make other handy things.

Food,

Get canned meat that's already cooked - plan 16oz day for 10 days, ham, spam, deviled meat, Vienna sausage - protein for sustainable energy. Beef jerky is great.

Little cheese n cracker packs requiring no refrigeration.

Canned bread or crackers in foil packs.

Cookies in resealable packs.

Mixed nuts in cans that are resealable.

You can also do canned fruit in single serve pop top cans.

The obvious like flashlight, batteries, portable radio and such.

Get the stuff in the car and be ready to go to plan "b" location if conditions are still safe and expected conditions call for it.

If you have to do plan "b" bag 2 days water, food ecetera and hide near yor plan b location just in case you're looted and need backup - let's you walk away without violent encounter to protect all your goods.

Sorry can't give more but details are sketchy, the bit here will keep you going if you can avoid surge and have/find concrete windproof place to hang out.

Prayers to everyone there.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Prayers for all in the path. I would not wait too long to leave. Everyone else will too. Does not sound like you are far enough off the coast to be safe there for a storm of this magnitude. Good luck! Let us hear from you when it is over. Western SC here. We get some rough weather from hurricanes at times.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

My house is a concrete structure with 140mph rated windows, I am worried about storm surge mainly. Thank you for great advice and your time

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thing is with all the preparedness stuff, if Palm Beach takes a direct hit you are probably screwed, no matter what your windows are rated. It all depends on the hurricane, nothing wrong with having a bug out spot selected.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Its times like this that im glad i live in the UK we get our share of strong winter storms but never of the strength
of a cat 4 or 5 hurricane.
However i do have work colleagues based in miami that im getting progressively worried about!

I am a "weather nut" but looking at this storm i would defiantly be arraigning for a short vacation out of state
right now if i lived in south florida.

You guys on here that are in the possible track of this storm dont take a chance on it!
get your supplys and get out or get to a safe location before the real panic buying kicks off.
i dont want to see any obituary threads on here about any of you stay safe

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Looking for an update, OP.

I know how hairy these things can be. Hopefully you've firmed up your plans some even if you have to leave a couple of options open.

This guy is a credentialed meteorologist and does a really good nightly broadcast on YouTube and will answer questions from chat.

Tim Vasquez

Highly recommended.

Take care and stay safe, respond when you can as there are folks out here worried about you.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Just had a thought considering my mother is staying as well...she will be staying at the hospital in which she works, but I would assume there would be one near you too. They'll have food and power long after everyone loses theirs. Keep that in mind if you find you need it...also helps to play the I'm a minor and alone card if you get any push back. Nurses tend to be sympathetic in such circumstances.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

That's well and good, better than most in fact.

However consider that much debris will be airborne missiles at wind speeds expected and that windows rated 140 mph may not be rated for impacts of objects.

Thought I saw something about concerns in Miami of "tower cranes" being rated 145mph not being able to withstand what's coming.

Earlier poster mentioned hospital - that may work as many areas far to interior.

Prayers

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Also they're tall to avoid flooding...usually multiple redundant backup power...full kitchens well stocked...and most importantly first responders will already be there to treat any injury you would sustain while there. Still better to get out but if you can't its as fine a place to ride it out as I can think of.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: boogiegk
Prayers for all in the path. I would not wait too long to leave. Everyone else will too. Does not sound like you are far enough off the coast to be safe there for a storm of this magnitude. Good luck! Let us hear from you when it is over. Western SC here. We get some rough weather from hurricanes at times.

looks like Myrtle beach is going to get hammered.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join