It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Grammar Nazi's & Punctuation Police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

And I am not grammar nazi, I just hate lazy people.

You just began a sentence with and.

Don't feel bad, Nazis also hated laziness.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

What 'grinds my gears' however is when people seem pretty eloquent but get 'there, their and they're wrong. If there are no other mistakes, this one is down to 'not being arsed to check it out once and for all'. So instead they just type away because it doesn't matter to them. They don't care.
However it should, because when I read anything with those mistakes, my opinion of the person goes straight down a few notches.

Try proofreading and correcting those "there, their, they're" style mistakes non-stop for 4 to 8 hours every day. You would think it would make you better at avoiding them. Instead, you start to pick up bad habits yourself, not because you don't know the difference, but I guess because you just start typing the wrong word.

Believe me. I've seen myself do it often enough I get mad at myself, but at the same time, I'm not being paid to fix myself and I have often just come off a shift where I've spent all day doing it, too.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Oh, to the OP, I ran across another reason to use semicolons today at work. I forgot this one on my previous post.

You use semicolons when you have a list within a list.

For example:

Today's dinner will be baked potatoes; steak topped with mushrooms, onions, and gravy; grilled asparagus; a dinner roll; and blueberry cobbler.

Because the topping for the steak is technically its own list and still part of the one item in your dinner list, you use the semicolons for the items in the dinner list and commas for the items topping the steak. It avoids the confusion that would be caused if every item was set apart by commas as you would in a regular list.
edit on 5-9-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's a lot of semicolons

I think I got it, and thanks again for all the insight you've brought to this thread.

And that's some dinner! Mmm
edit on 5-9-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

And I am not grammar nazi, I just hate lazy people.

You just began a sentence with and.

Don't feel bad, Nazis also hated laziness.

You didn't read my post in its entirety. Another thing that I hate. My mistake would be overlooked [by myself] because I come under 'foreign'. Plus these kinds of mistakes are not gear grinding as they are actually 'allowed':
www.thewriter.com...

We discussed 'grammar Nazis'; why are you comparing me to actual Nazis? Not too funny, but then you never are.
edit on 6-9-2017 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Another thing that I hate.

More to my point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join