It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Grammar Nazi's & Punctuation Police

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

And this ^^^^^ too!

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
One space after the period in a sentence or two spaces?

Two spaces after a full stop. Two after a colon. One after a comma and semi colon.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks for another great tip. I had to go back to/and? re-read my OP to see if i used "that". You're right, it sounds much better without it.

And for trying to write how I speak, I was naturally already doing that but always seem to lose a bit of something in translation.

But I'm still working on it. Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I prefer to mix my methapors and if that's a problem, stick it where the sun don't shine & forge ahead.
edit on 4-9-2017 by olaru12 because: did you call brenda?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Hmmmm...I'm not sure I agree with that one. To me, a colon really needs to be followed by a carriage return (and then a list).

(example)

Here are the reasons why:

1. Because it looks funny if you don't
2. Because people might miss the emphasis of what you are saying
3. Because it really doesn't serve any purpose in an in-line sentence structure

(end example)

edit on 9/4/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986
I think you're doing fine. Unless you're doing something official there's no reason to obsess about the rules of the written word. I can appreciate when some of the rules are broken intentionally to make something read more like a person actually talks instead of just cold, dead text.

Then again, I too serially abuse ellipses and commas. Typically to provide a forced pause and to show where I would pause in actually speaking. I see no problem starting sentences with and, unless it's poetry and it's been done several times already.

As others have said, what matters is I can understand what you're saying.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

I agree, it's okay to start a sentence with the word "And" provided it is followed by a comma. However, one should never start a paragraph with the word "And".

(example)

And, just to further the point, I've seen many people do this in real life.

(end example)

Starting a sentence with the word "But" is generally bad form...unless (rare) there is a huge emphasis to be made by the following sentence, almost as if intentional slang usage like...

"There are lots of fish in the ocean. BUT, everyone knows the Moon is not made out of cheese!"

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

You forgot about the Typo Gestapo!

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Gawd, I'm OCD about typo's in my own posts (don't care about them in other's, but mine...GAH!)!

I have to go back and fix them if possible else I need meds. LOL

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I think for me, I need to be a little more patient and read it over slowly before hitting the send button, because I almost always end up editing something.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I rarely point out grammar errors, unless some sentence has been buggered up so badly so as to change the meaning entirely. Then I'll usually respond to the literal meaning (with a ?) not the intended one...just to highlight the mistake (and joke around).

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I rarely point out grammar errors, unless...

You've just been buttslammed by the Comma Splice Commission!

edit on 4-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Well I could go on about the use of a colon, so here goes: You don't need a carriage return when you use a colon.

This is is because colons are used to introduce a following statement, or quote. They can (and do) also introduce a list, as you described, but you can also use semi colons to list along the same line, but I think that's lazy business writing.

Anyway, the real question is whether to capitalise following a colon. I do, but I think there are people who may consider that heresy.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Perhaps...an ellipsis; an ellipsis mighta' been more, well, fitting, in the mind of the reader, than a comma, right?

You see, semicolons and colons are fun; now would be one of those times. However, in some cases, to those less familiar with punctuation in the English language, commas will work nearly as well. Examples of commas might include:

- Pauses in a sentence
- Separation of subject
- Distinction or context

In any case, playing with semicolons is fun, colons not so much; I don't like it when people play with my colon...especially the Comma Splice Commission buttslammers!

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well, I'm definitely learning a lot from the exchanges and I'm sure many others are as well.

Thanks guys.

Hopefully more people will jump in with their knowledge.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Commas can even save lives!

"Let's eat Grandma!"

"I like cooking my pets and my friends"

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I see what you did there... clever.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Ah, beat me to it.

Here's some more fodder. NSFW.

www.buzzfeed.com... rm=.slApRKkmg#.trNp3DxWX

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
No one and I mean no one sucks more at writing then I do .
I am so bad even spell check gives up .

First I have dyslexia worse there are like 5 spellings on even that one word .
Second My brain is wired to be logical . Numbers I understand just fine programming is a challenge I love .
I think it is funny how cought up in spelling people are ( i believe it is the one and only thing they are good at so want to show every one how much better they are then you .

But I can run circles around most of them in science subjects .
I am old now don't care what they think about my spelling I don't need any ones approval .

My advice to you when someone is just being critical just to show how much better they are is iggy them as the criticism is only as good as the source and around here the source probably believes the world is flat or hollow or that the moon landing was fake .

All the wile they are tring to make you look stupid they don't realize just how stupid they look it is good for a laugh at most .

You know if it was all so fired important to them they would say something about the site does not alow paragraphs and you have to space this to get any thing close to that .

Only stupid people are the ones who think every one should be able to spell a language that has Silent letters .
example night - Knight ( the only reason the K is there is so you know what i am wright about .
1000s of examples language is just a missmog of sounds we put together over 1000s of years no rhyme or reason .

Wish I was Polish that language is spelled Hypothetically ( which means it is spelled just how it sounds much simpler then our which is a mix of The Queens English - Spanish - Italian - French - Dutch - German .
And a few left overs thrown in for good measure .

Ps if you every told the queen of England you speck English or how badly she wrights it ( as its not American )
It would be off with your head .

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Let's eat Grandad.
Let's eat, Grandad.
Punctation saves lives.

edit on 4-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join