It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Bulgegate Revisited

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The device purportedly concealed under George W Bush's jacket during the first Presidential debate in 2004 has more backbone and a tail. This week the media have analyzed themselves and have called out the New York Times for spiking the story for reasons of "politeness" (read: covering up a Presidential deceit and national embarrassment), extending the conspiracy of silence on these events further. The media story is of interest in its own right, the same month that detailed investigations into the manufacturing of propaganda by journalists paid by the Whitehouse continues. What exactly created the mystery shape under the POTUS' jacket is still out for the jury to decide.

www.editorandpublisher.com
The Battle of the (Bush) Bulge: Why Did the 'NYT' Kill Its Story?
By Brian Orloff
Published: February 09, 2005 1:00 PM ET

NEW YORK "It's just as important a story after the election, and they've dropped it," says freelance writer David Lindorff, referring to the alleged bulge under President Bush’s suit jacket during the first presidential debate late fall. Lindorff’s take on how, and why, The New York Times killed a story on the controversy just before the November election gained wide attention this week after it was published in Extra!, a magazine produced by the media watchdog group Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting.

His Extra! story, "The Emperor's New Hump," partly based on e-mails from a Times reporter, revealed that reporters at the newspaper extensively reported a story -- only to see editors kill it in the week before the election -- raising questions about a subject that had been treated as something of a joke by many in the media and dismissed out of hand by the White House.

The Times’ story got as far as it did mainly because a respected NASA scientist had produced enhanced photographic evidence that the president was wearing something -- a bulletproof vest, electronic device, or back brace, no one could say....

"This administration has really cowed the media into really being afraid to call it for what it is," he said. "They did it with Nixon. It got to the point where they recognized that Nixon was a crook. But they haven't done that here because we're not dealing with criminality. We're dealing with just deceit. ... But they can't bring themselves to say that about the president. ... They're just too polite."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here's some questions of interest:

1. Why is every cover-up involving a President now a "X-Gate" after Watergate, are we lacking imagination?

2. Does anyone really believe the "bulge" is just bad tailoring, given the other options investigated (radio mike, defibrillator, flyswatter etc)?

3. How long is the memory of the average media punter, who lets events like this slide away, over and over?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Was Bush Wired Up During The Debate? I Report, You Decide.
'Bush Wired' Story Continues; 'Bulge' Appears in Third Debate
"Gottle of Geer"....Mr President??

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
With all due respect and realizing that I'm in the minority, I really don't think there is a story here. Whatever it was that caused the President's jacket to bulge, just might not be anyone's business, except for him and his staff. I don't believe that the President needs prompting for a debate. I don't think he has a heart problem and the tailoring issue was not one of bad tailoring, but of the hang of the cloth caught in a still photo. If the President had something under his jacket that had something to do with his personal security and his staff doesn't want to discuss it, then I think that falls into the category of national security and, personally, I am all in favor of that.

[edit on 05/2/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
1. because. its an easy way to make something seem like a huge deal and sell papers.
2. those suits are tailor-made perfectly to fit the president. $500 USD, easily. its not a mistake.
3. dunno

theres no story, the times was good to drop it.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I believe he was wired. He had to be, theres no way ( and I dont mean to offend any republicians ) that he was smart enough to say his real thoughts duing the debate with Mr. Kerry.

just my $0.02

-J

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

2. Does anyone really believe the "bulge" is just bad tailoring, given the other options investigated (radio mike, defibrillator, flyswatter etc)?

Worth the read just for that one line.

Made my night. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
People it was not a wire,bug or anything like that I can assure you. You can buy much smaller ones over the counter, that you would never see and would make no buldge.

This is not the 60s tech is so small now you would never see it.

Could it have been something eles sure but that was no receiver or Transductor

[edit on 12-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Heres a example of one you can buy over the counter

Z-8 transductor

Dimensions 2.55 x 1.29 x .36 Inches

Used with a wireless earphones and your all set. The set up wouldnt even set you back a thousand bucks

store.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
IMHO there is definitely something to this hump

What is in his ear?

What’s that under his tie?

There is something here

The device

The Emperor's New Hump
The New York Times killed a story that could have changed the election—because it could have changed the election

Suspicion that Bush had been getting cues or answers in his ear was bolstered by his strange behavior in that first debate, which included several uncomfortably long pauses before and during his answers. On one occasion, he burst out angrily with "Now let me finish!" at a time when nobody was interrupting him and his warning light was not flashing.

[edit on 13/2/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Besides the fact that the bulge is about ten times bigger then over the counter tech. Why would he run a wire up his tie on a wireless system?

You really think the goverment use this public spy store stuff.

You can argue the bulge was a defibrillator,BP vest ect.. but the wire case is weak if you understand the tech and how it is used.

[edit on 13-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Besides the fact that the bulge is about ten times bigger then over the counter tech. Why would he run a wire up his tie on a wireless system?

You really think the goverment use this public spy store stuff.

I would think being hard wired would mean no scrambling of the signal??

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Unless he had a wire going to his ear it was not hard wired and had to be a wireless system.

But this was a debate the SS had full control there would be nobody scrambling any signals.

[edit on 13-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Even if he did, there is nothing to convince without a doubt that bush was wired. If he was going to get caught, it had to be while he was on stage and by the time anyone noticed it was too late to do anyhting.

You think anyone is going to come forward and admit it? if anyone did they would be pratically raped by the Bush administration in its zeal to discredit the person.

Also, i know newspaper editors can be opinionated holes who could have just said there is no point to it, as there is none now

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I'm still upset that Badnarik and what's his name, the Green Party guy, were arrested for trying to enter the debate. I understand that not all minorities should be allowed to enter the debates, but I don't agree with the cut-offs because my candidate wasn't allowed!!! Let's make it a 3/4/5-party system at least!

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I notice we are mainly focused on fixed positions relating to the President's credibility and whether or not he was wired for the first debate.

The subtext for the story is more what has happened to media under the current administration, and how stories get spiked. This story was not spiked in the week before the election because the incident of the bulge was explained - in fact it was laughed off by Bush as "bad tailoring", and was not further investigated.

So the story is not news today because of the bulge at all. It is news because of this:

"This administration has really cowed the media into really being afraid to call it for what it is," he said. "They did it with Nixon. It got to the point where they recognized that Nixon was a crook. But they haven't done that here because we're not dealing with criminality. We're dealing with just deceit. ... But they can't bring themselves to say that about the president. ... They're just too polite."

Is it politeness, or are editors in certain of the press just failing to deliver?

top topics

join