It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S.Korea say: North Korea preparing to launch an ICBM!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

The nuke is what gets Kim's name in the history books conventional weapons do not..

Then when every history or civics class covers nukes they will list the times nuclear weapons have been used in war...

1: US (Hiroshima/Nagasaki)

2: North Korea (Seoul)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: joemoe

The nuke is what gets Kim's name in the history books conventional weapons do not..

Then when every history or civics class covers nukes they will list the times nuclear weapons have been used in war...

1: US (Hiroshima/Nagasaki)

2: North Korea (Seoul)

3: ww3 - which is why today's class is being conducted in heaven.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
lil Kim is giving the CIA so many opportunities i wonder why they didn't use any of them yet.

a test gone wrong, own missile blowing in Kim's face, would make him think twice.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dontneedaname

A) I'm quite sure Trump likely had the ability to fudge his iq score if he wanted, and let's be honest. That sounds like the kind of thing trump might do.

Just so he could be like " I am just incredibly smart.. I'm just the smartest guy ever.. my IQ is 140..it's a really rare iq to have.. "

Just for cocktail parties lol..

B) he inherited 10+ million on his 18th /21st birthday and was made CEO of his dads company.

And I think a mini empire from his father when he died..

If I'm right he has expanded it..and I don't want you to think I'm calling him mentally deficient or a total idiot.

But him being an really smart person I'm not seeing.. his mistakes are just dumb in some cases..

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
I'm not sure how to take your response, then again, I'm still working on my first cup of coffee for the day.

My post was a tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and I think your opening line was as well. If so, that's a great point to make. Most of the time I try to post a clearly anti-war message in regards to North Korea. I disagree with a preemptive strike on them and fully recognize their rights to test and develop their weaponry. This is something I've said several times on here, even recently.

It looks like we share the same view of them. Leave them be, at least until they actually start actually doing something at which time the response would be quick and efficient. I think that's true. I'm not well versed in the actual capabilities of modern anti-missile defense though.

I'm not surprised by the actions of any of the players involved, everyone is doing as expected. The world needs a 'crazy threat' and we seem to have shifted the focus away from ISIS for the time being.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

I don't disagree entirely with the 'leave them be' sentiment, and would even further add the continued pestering of NK is probably doing more harm than good. I also do not disagree that they have a right to...a) defend themselves if attacked, and b) develop weapons to defend themselves (up to an including nukes).

That said, allow me to be the devil's advocate for a moment with an analogy. Imagine you live in a drought area which has been classified as under "Extreme Fire Danger". Your next door neighbor regularly goes outside with his bow and shoots flaming arrows over the roof of your house into the pool of your other next door neighbor (on the other side of you). When you ask him to stop he refuses and says he's just practicing to defend himself.

No harm, no foul, right? I'm not so sure. So one day you decide to call the cops and they say "Bad Boy!" to him and leave. Rinse and repeat. It's only a matter of time before one of those flaming arrows lands on your roof. I won't speak for you, but after a while (were it me), of the cops and doing nothing meaningful, I'm probably going to get a bow and flaming arrow of my own...and point it right at his front door and tell him to "STOP IT!...or ELSE!"

Shooting missiles into the sea is one thing, but shooting missiles over another country into the sea is something altogether different.

I dunno...maybe that's too harsh, but minimally NK needs to ratchet it down a bit. Wouldn't hurt for the US to quiet down a little bit too (i.e. shut the freaking MSM up!!)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
i'm kind of hoping they really do fire the next missile into the middle of the pacific so we can shoot it down and show it off to the world, maybe overwhelm their broadcasters with video transmissions of the shoot down so everyone in korea knows their military failed and begin to question the truth in their minds.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: mr-lizard

It would be far less scary if he was allowed to do his tests without provocation from the west.

Yeah I know he is a nutter and should not have nukes, I would argue trump is a nutter too and should not have nukes, and all the other leaders of the "free" world , lets take their nukes too.

He wants to be one of the big kids and really other than all out war, he will get to be part of the nuke club regardless of how you and I feel about it.

Well of course it's the west's fault.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
I get what you're saying but I think in extreme drought conditions shooting flaming arrows is illegal. I know my local forestry has some fairly strict rules about fire in those situations.

So the neighbor would be breaking the law. Which is the crux of why I take the stance I do on North Korea. They aren't breaking any international laws. If they do then I'm all for an appropriate response. Maybe not so much if we keep provoking them as well though.

They've been telling the world and us directly for years that they view our exercises with South Korea in that area as provocation. We have kept it up though for no real reason. We don't need to be practicing with South Korea in that area when there's a whole world out there to play in. Does South Korea have no other allies to practice with?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
There is no way SK can know that NK are preparing for a New missile test, unless NK have announced it publicly.

Its not like SK have the capasity to monitor every square inch of landmass and every mobile unite North Korea have at one time.

There is no way we would know this unless NK have warned us about it.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
Oh no, it might actually land without hurting anybody... again.

The maniacs, not hurting anybody with their weapons tests. Somebody's got to teach them how to do it right.

And what happens if it hits a populated area and hurts somebody. After all, he's obviously not doing it right, by your account. He could miscalculate a launch that's supposed to hit in the middle of nowhere. Amazing, you contradict yourself in two sentences.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable
It was sarcasm, man. If they miscalculate and hit something then the world, NATO, will respond accordingly. See my above responses to other members for further clarification if needed.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
a reply to: UnBreakable
It was sarcasm, man. If they miscalculate and hit something then the world, NATO, will respond accordingly. See my above responses to other members for further clarification if needed.

Sorry, my bad. Sometimes I have difficulty picking up on sarcasm, as I have encountered other members replies which I interpret as sarcasm, but they are dead serious. My apologies.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I'm sorry, did you just say that there are too many people with high IQs in leadership positions in the world? Are you SURE about that?

Because that sounds like a damned strange thing to say. I mean, I could understand your saying that under Obama, but Trump makes Bush look like a Mensa candidate. He has more words, but they are invariably the wrong ones. Bigly, would be one which comes to mind readily. Covfefe would be another, entirely ridiculous example of the many ways in which Trump is a moron.

His B.S. in Economics? I would not bet my life savings that he earned that degree fair and square either. Hes a slacker, and a dullard, and you have a problem with the smart folks? The man is not smart, or even a clever kind of stupid. He has all the low cunning one expects from a street thug, but nothing more than that.

And as for the suggestion by the individual who wrote that Quroa piece, that one does not do the things he has done and maintain a low IQ, I would like to suggest that perhaps, that individual has a slightly over inflated opinion of what "success" means for those who appear to have had it. In truth, you can get the trappings of success, while being entirely poor at everything you do, as long as you can BS your way through, and that takes no smarts what so ever. It just takes a talent for deception, which any low grade moron can pull off, especially if they are stupid enough to believe their own nonsense.

I have no degree, and make bugger all money. But if you put me in a room with him and ask me to debate a point with him, I will promise you without a shadow of a doubt, I would make him look a complete fool. While he will be using inappropriate terminology, getting his times, dates, and associations between people and events completely wrong, I will be, without notes mind you, entirely on point, dissecting his utterances for the ego driven, poorly thought out vomit that they are, while erecting an edifice of an argument so enormously fortified, that he will want to place his name on it immediately and move the thing to the border with Mexico.

Now, you are CERTAINLY correct that he lacks emotional intelligence, there is no doubt of that what so ever. But it cannot be understated that his money, his fame, his property, these things are NOT indicators of intelligence AT ALL! They are indicators of the fact that he successfully and believably lies, which any animal minded, greedy, self serving sociopath can achieve perfectly well, with absolutely no need to be intellectually advanced in any regard.

You have too big an ego.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

They have been test launching icbms for a decade..

Actually, no. There have been lots of ballistic missile tests. NK have claimed two ICBM tests (the first was in July this year) though analysts have questioned whether they were actually ICBMs or just intermediate-range ballistic missiles wrapped up in Norky puff and bluster.

A genuine ICBM brings with it a whole host of concerns. It can travel further, faster. Combined with the fact that most of the flight path is sub-orbital it becomes even more difficult to intercept.

A functional ICBM - especially combined with a functional nuclear warhead if recent tests are to be believed - puts an awful lot of the world in reach of a nutjob with nuclear technology. That would certainly be a major change in Nork capability.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This is where I see the other side. Most of the superpowers, if not all, have nukes. Moreover, many weaker countries watch as the West has overthrown countless minor powers, from Iraq to Guatemala. In their mind, the only way to protect themselves is to rush to get WMDs or nukes especially.

In reality, we in the west can claim we care about denuclearization but we aren't really serious if we create situations where weaker countries are desperate to protect themselves from being the next victim of neo-imperialism.

a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

edit on 4-9-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

25 million people in North Korea. It is a tiny place. It is much smaller than Japan, much easier to bomb. Lil Kim is acting up because China are letting him. There is something fishy and proxy going on here. A few U.S bombing sorties would paralyze North Korea; sweeties for Kim if he doesn't drop this idea like a bomb. A huge refugee problem would quickly occur in North Korea as it is so small and easily targeted. Lil Kim really is Lil Kim unless China and Russia are giving him "confidence".

North Korea have their own little game of MAD in play here. There is a metric shi'iteload of artillery pointed at South Korea. Again, analysts don't always agree on how much there is or how effective it might be, or even whether it will be used counterforce or countervalue (ie, against military installations or against civilian targets such as Seoul), but the fact remains that an attack on NK will almost certainly trigger an artillery barrage against the south, and the locations are numerous and spread-out specifically to make it difficult to neutralise with "a few U.S. bombing sorties" before South Korea takes a pounding.

It's a difficult problem. If Trump draws a line and Nk steps over it, it isn't as simple as having the balls to order Mattis to rain hellfire and brimstone down on Fatboy Kim - he also has to have the balls to give the order while knowing that hundreds of thousands of South Korean civilians might be killed in the process.

The NK artillery along the border is essentially a dead man's switch. At what point does the risk posed by allowing NK to continue, outweight the potentially massive loss of life in SK from retaliatory barrages that might be reduced by US bombers, but are unlikely to be completely stoppable.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: camain
a reply to: TrueBrit

Just to play devils advocate, I was thinking, maybe this is a push by the USA to get global businesses to come back to the USA. Think of it this way, NK keeps ratcheting things up, crossing every read line trump puts out. He goes crying to the UN which puts more and more sanctions on them. Eventually, as is the case now, Trump is threatening to end trade with anyone who trades with NK. That impacts China.

Nothing to wild about that at all. I've heard a few people suggest that Trump is actually waging a wider economic war against China and that NK is just being used as a tool to that effect.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

Not only is Kim nuts, he's evil to the max. He has people executed for the most ridiculous reasons. I remember one unfortunate victim of his was executed because he fell asleep at a meeting.

Kim orders executions to take place in a variety of public locations, including schools.

He's ordered the execution of members of his own family, most recently his half-brother.

It's entirely possible that this is not directly Kim's doing. The DPRK suffers from internal political factions, same as everywhere else. The difference is that when one faction manages to take control, they have a habit of killing off key members in the other faction(s).

Many view Kim himself as a political figurehead who is being directed by the current leading faction, the Organisation and Guidance Department. They are the hardest of hardliners in Norkland and the ones who appear to be pushing for nuclear status.

All those silly executions for silly reasons? I bet if you had access to a full internal political map of the Nork elites, you would find that the victims all chose the wrong side to support in inter-factional fighting and threats to established power bases. One of the family members executed was his uncle, Jang Song-thaek. If you look deeper into his career, you find a man who had been amassing an uncomfortable amount of power and represented a threat. I guarantee that wasn't the official reason for his execution.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

But Trump being an really smart person I'm not seeing.. his mistakes are just dumb in some cases..

Just smart enough to beat Hillary.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join