It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great sign given to the Last Generation from our Lord.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: ketsuko

Since when were the original biblical texts written in Greek? As far as I know Revelation is pre-Christian the original language would be Hebrew, which makes your point pretty mute.

They were not written in Greek. They were translated first to Greek , then to German , then to English...and I may have omitted Latin somewhere down the line.

The original languages were Hebrew and Aramaic.

Nope.

Nope back at ya .
??? WTF ?

Hebrew Gospel hypothesis From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly, nope.

Did you not read my post or your own link ?
Hebraic and Aramaic (which technically can be interposed.
Gosh , stop with the "holier than thou" attitude . It doesnt become you a bit....

There's no 'holier than thou' attitude.

If you had bothered to actually read the specifics of my link, you would see that it had been hypothesised that there is a source document or possibly that the Gospel of Matthew was written in Aramaic or Hebrew but this is not upheld by modern scholarship.

Firstly, we have not ever seen this original non-Greek text or copies of it. There is only a single ancient source that alludes to seeing such a document, and analysis of the text does not show use of specific idiom and structure that might indicate translation from either Hebrew or Aramaic to Greek, in the oldest texts we do have.

In all the gospels, the only aramaic words are where Jesus says "talitha koumi", meaning 'little girl (or little lamb), arise' and where Jesus says "eli eli lama sabachthani" which means 'God, God, why abandon me'.

In both cases, what Jesus said was rendered phonetically in Greek letters and is not part of the Greek language. If the words of Jesus had been originally written in Aramaic or Hebrew, why would it have been neccessary to re-render the words phonetically in Greek letters? Surely it would have been easier to retain the Aramaic entirely, especially if it was the common language of the time and region?

In the second instance, Jesus was quoting from Psalm 22:1, which in Hebrew is "el, el, azab", so Jesus was definitely speaking Aramaic, not Hebrew.

The fact that Aramaic was not the common language of the people at the time is shown by the response of the crowd at His crucifixion who said "He is calling upon Elijah".

All the ealiest copies of all the gospels and letters that make up the canonical New Testament were written in Koine Greek, with the exception of the Vulgate, which shows the signs of translation from Koine Greek to Latin and some Syraic texts which show similar artefacts of translation.

edit on 4/9/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: spidermastermind
a reply to: TheProphetMark

I didn't want to post such comment, but now I have to.

The solar eclipse mans, that whoever is watching the solar eclipse, goes there watching it, is not enlightened. That is simple. I don't know the purpose of it. Probably, God is interested in people who are not enlightened.

That's an interesting way of looking at it... I could see that maybe that's why Native Cultures and other ancient civilizations warned against it.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: ADSE255

Nuclear war?

There's mention of men's tongues and eyes being consumed, melting. Only one thing could do that.
edit on 4-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Gothmog

Even those languages have multiple words that could be translated in the English word heaven.

Look, Spanish has this same problem when you translate English to Spanish.

There are multiple words in English that technically only translate to the same Spanish word, but they have really very different meanings and connotations in English. In order to do a good translation, it's all about the language you use around the one Spanish word, but even then, the translation is not perfect.

This is the same. That's why there is so much argument over which English Bible translation is the best version. In the Old Testament, you are talking about having translated from Hebrew and in the New, primarily Greek. In no place is the translation perfect, and that's why people who really want to study often end up learning at least a little about both Hebrew and Greek or gaining familiarity with Strong's Concordance.

I am just against "modern hypothesis" that conflict with history....

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Not even in the worst Dot To Dot puzzle would you end up with a "woman" from those points. You could put almost Anything under them. The outline hardly looks like anything. Not a person, not a bull, not a dog, not an archer, not a chariot.... nothing about that resembles a woman if you take away the faint woman placed there.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I found this photo clip on the internet from a 1921 Washington Times news article.

At that point in history the US Naval Observatory thought Jupiter was going to give birth to a new moon. If it was going to be a new moon, then the projected mass would be 3 times greater than earth. If Jupiter could not capture the body after it ejected it, then it would become a rouge planet in our system. It would become a launched cue ball darting out to strike the colored balls.

edit on 4-9-2017 by lostinspace because: modified cue ball comment.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheProphetMark
The last total solar eclipse before August happened on February 26, 1979...38 years, the next one is in 7 years on October 14, 2023.

Next total solar eclipse is in 7 years, are we being warned through this great sign we are about to enter the 7 year Tribulation period?

The last total solar eclipse happened on March 9, 2016 in Indonesia, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands (you know, the US isn't the only country on the planet...). The next total solar eclipse will happen on July 2, 2019 in the Pitcairn Islands, central Argentina and Chile and the Tuamotu Archipelago. Source: wikipedia (list of solar eclipses in the 21st century). Some Americans seem to be really good at self-centered thinking. The world does not revolve around the US. Another thread in here about reincarnation has someone seemingly suggesting that for a European to be reincarnated as an American is a reward for good karma as if the living standards in the US are better. Apparently someone who's never been to Scandinavia or Monaco.

This is what that person said there:

If you perform well in Europe, you will be an american in your next life.

As if that's somehow an improvement and therefore a reward for 'performing well'. Just the thought alone of having Trump as a president of the country I live in, brrrr, scary thought. Ally is scary enough thank you very much...of course, it could be worse. I'd rather not have Putin or Erdogan as my country's figurehead either.
edit on 5-9-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join