It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was I stupid to do it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Hi, droid56,

To me, you were not stupid. Everyone is different, as is their sense of morality. You did what you felt was right for your morals, not anyone else’s, and your mind is peaceful with your decision. I feel having self-peace is golden.

Personally, I would’ve done the same as you did. I don’t care how big or small a company is or the $ amount. I feel that honesty is honesty and I try to consider the repercussions that my decisions will have, before committing to an action.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Do unto others ...

Nice to see some old shool integrity in the current 'me' mindset !

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: JoshuaCox

But the question remains: why didn't you have an attack of conscience?

I suppose it depends on the definition of attack on conscience. Should he have felt bad morallly? Probably. But to what extent? He does bring up a valid point about wealth, corporate entity vs individual relative impact.

Does it make what he did ok? No, not really imho.

Should people shame him, punish him for it, all the while turning blind eyes to actual big criminals and psychopaths? Something I wonder.

Maybe because hes actually harmless, he is therefore seen as an easy target for one to express excessive vitriol towards, without repercussion. Unlike the actual bad guys with money and power whom many ignore, the true evil thieves and killers, who will send the boogey man after you.

I know in his case id have simply told the manager I had to still pay, yes, but i think hes being candid and honest about a fairly harmless immoral decision. I dont get why people shun and ridicule others so harshly for petty things like that and simultaneously remain quiet and aloof about the actual bad guys.

I guess money-laden and powerful folks scare most people without it into submission. Leads to some people who will do whatever it takes to get it, even stealing a person's life.

Brings the whole topic full circle.

Time for a tall glass of water which, man, that is something to not take for granted!

edit on 3-9-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

I passed no judgement on JoshuaCox. I'm not a fan of the fat cat bean counters either.

Each has to do as they feel. As I said at the beginning, what's important is to follow one's conscience. Each of us has a different journey (and rarely is it a stupid one!)

edit on 3-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Kudos for your honesty! I would have done the same thing.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
My dingbat brother is getting taking advantage of. I will be gone before he realizes. Sad. Nothing you can do in so called love. Even my dad is falling for her. I don't get it. she owns everything now. Millionaires, her home is a mausoleum, plus her kids. In my bros name. SMH , If the kids were his, understandable. but their not. It's my HS sweetheart that cheated on me, with the guy that I brought back.

Cause and effect

Wish I can turn back time.

Too late now, I caused it.
edit on 3-9-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Impressive. Did the right thing. I once spent 30 minutes at a bank trying to give back an extra 20 that was in my cashed check envelope . They never admitted it was theirs. Left it laying on the bank manager's office desk.

edit on 9/3/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

All the Canadians I've known were Dudley Dooright honest, I really love that. You did a good thing, the right thing.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:21 AM
link   

You are very fair and honest. it is not stupid.

I have had so many problems with online orders lately. I bought a pine bed and the side snapped after a day. Lol, I can't send it back or I will not have a bed so am trying to get a new side from them instead. I had to use my leather belt to strap the side; that's after 24 hours of having the thing.Just in the process of getting that sorted. Bought a dark room tent that arrived with a broken pole and a big hole letting in light through the door. Amazon messed up with my deliver dates and made me wait in all day and then changed the date to four days later (got a refund on the post for that).

I get so much anxiety form purchasing now. I worked it out that I would probably buy a lot more if there was quality control and accurate ETAs on deliveries. I am actually too scared to order from most companies. I check them out like a Mossad agent would, lol, and still get stung frequently.

I am wanting a new PC. I am too scared to buy one even though I have the money. I have to budget you see and as soon as budgeting creeps in so do the scammers, cheats, lack of consumer protection, etc. Ebay is terrible. Even when you get a refund it takes over a week before your money is your own again.

Customer services are the biggest joke. They have become so automated that it is impossible to deal with them effectively. Sally, we are no longer an effective team.

Lol!
edit on 3-9-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Accept their apology, less expenses for worry and phone calls...
about 154 dollars.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I had something similar happen to me recently. Also Amazon, a package that the tracking said had been delivered to me two days before - but it hadn't, and I'd been at home all day.

I went to the post office, they said they had it recorded as delivered too. The person there said they would talk to the individual who was supposed to deliver it.

Very quickly afterwards, they called and told me the mailman said I wasn't home and he left it in my mailbox, but it was to big to close the mailbox, and he left it open.

For one, I was home, two, the mailboxes here are locked, and he is supposed to leave them closed and locked.
So the person on the phone apolgized profusely. As I hadn't received ANY mail at all for three days, he said we could assume that our mail had all been stolen as a result of it being left open with a package sticking out.

He gave me the number to call and told me I would be reimbursed by the post office quickly.

Three hours later, my mailbox was magically filled with tons of letters and the package!

What happened, I am sure, is that because we live very far out up the mountain.... it is a long drive, and there are only three homes up here. Because nobody likes to do this run, our mailperson is constantly changing. Often we get one that tries to save up mail for a few days rather than come up everyday. This is a problem when we have important time sensitive mail.

He surely lied when questioned, and rushed up to stick everything in after.

So I could have gone forward to get my money back from the post office anyway. But I chose not to. Perhaps I am stupid. I often have people say I am too honest, to the point of being stupid.
But in terms of my own self respect, it matters. And when I do decide to speak up for myself in other situations, I can do it with conviction because my conscience is clear and I truly feel I deserve to be treated correctly. -That I have earned that.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   
You did the right thiñg ! ....sure you could used the $154, but that would have been scamming and stealing ......theft is theft ....no matter the dollar amount ....or how rich the Comoany or person is you are stealing from. It's still theft ......sure, Big corporate has money, but , if everyone called and said they didn't get the package , then they would eventually go bankrupt and close their doors . People would loose their jobs , and they depend on big corporate to feed their families. ...you may think your just a small number on a spread sheet, but those numbers add up....and if you're still asking if you did the right thing , you did ! ....The right thing,is always the right thing to do ! ....and always remember that your actions are like a ripple affect in life, they affect more people then just you . Good for you for keeping it real and honest .

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diabolical1972
My dingbat brother is getting taking advantage of. I will be gone before he realizes. Sad. Nothing you can do in so called love. Even my dad is falling for her. I don't get it. she owns everything now. Millionaires, her home is a mausoleum, plus her kids. In my bros name. SMH , If the kids were his, understandable. but their not. It's my HS sweetheart that cheated on me, with the guy that I brought back.

Cause and effect

Wish I can turn back time.

Too late now, I caused it.

Wrong thread?

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Quits Simply ............. Pay now, or pay later. I think you know what that means since you have demonstrated you have a conscience .... Bravo, well done.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
The money machine that is Amazon wouldn't have missed my $154 contribution, but I like being honest. So was I stupid to do it (the wife of my brother thinks so)?

You are right to be honest. Too many scumbag dishonest people about, like your sister-in-law. One day you are defrauding a company by convincing yourself it's a victimless crime, and the next you're defrauding your insurance company, and so on. It creates a dishonest and immoral mindset, and there is always a victim.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I buy a lot from Amazon...and a few times the delivery system screws up and delivers to the wrong house.
TBH, Amazon in the US seems to have a policy to NOT issue credits the first day in hopes the issue will still resolve, as in your case it went to the wrong house.

I have also called them to report I did indeed get the package, after reporting it missing....sometimes after refund has been issued. The refund stayed.
Granted the amount was less...but I think they chalk it up to good customer service and "eat" the loss. I don't know if $154 falls under "small" to them.

Honesty is the best policy.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Not at all. I ordered something for the wife once from a well-known boutique in Manhattan and someone accidentally doubled up the item but only one charge. I called our sales associate and had them send me a UPS return label.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Mid 30s

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

It wasn't theft by ANY legal definition..

That requires me to have taken some action to deceive or set it up.

I did neither.

I just didn't point out the mistake.

If the manager had asked me ANYTHING like "have you already paid?"

I answer honestly.. I had the 1200 in my pocket as I was making the purchase anyway.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join