It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was I stupid to do it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So I ordered a product from amazon.ca, which is the Canadian version of Amazon. The tracking info told me what day it would be delivered so I stayed home that day with windows open and the music playing low volume. By one in the pm there was no knock on the door so I checked the tracking info again and it said package delivered at 10 in the morning.

Maybe they didn't knock, I thought, so I opened the front door and sadly there was no package on the steps or nearby. I had to drive to the nearest post office and they checked and assured me the package was delivered to my door at 10 in the morning. I figured a passing by person of dubious moral standing had stolen it.

So I phoned an Amazon agent who deals in various problems, and to Amazon's credit the agent told me I would get a full refund on my credit card in 3 to 5 days. But later that evening there was a knock on the door, and standing there was an unfamiliar guy with a box under one of his arms. Of course it was the missing package that was mistakingly dropped off at his place which was 3 or 4 houses down the road.

For a few minutes I considered the possiblity of not contacting Amazon to tell them about a lost package now found, but I decided to let them know which meant I was not going to get something for free. The money machine that is Amazon wouldn't have missed my $154 contribution, but I like being honest. So was I stupid to do it (the wife of my brother thinks so)? Even if I was, I don't think I would decide differently faced with something simiar in the future.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Not stupid honest.

I do things like this all the time and people call me stupid for not stealing but we are all different and I like to be in the right I guess.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
What comes around goes around, you did the right thing. Sister in law proved her moral compass. Your brother better what that one!

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Eh don't sweat it. You followed your conscience and that's what matters. Any result beyond that isn't really in your hands anymore.

I've gotten refunds before I've mailed back shipments. I could've kept stuff and got my refund. I mailed it back anyway, stupid or not.

Do you feel stupid?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

No, I don't feel stupid. When I do the right thing my mind is peaceful.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: droid56

No, I don't feel stupid. When I do the right thing my mind is peaceful.

Feeling at peace with yourself is something you can't put a dollar figure on.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Spot on droid.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Yes you were stupid, lol...

Usually if you have to ask that question the answer is yes.

I had something similar happen at bestbuy..

I went up there to price gaming PCs and found one I wanted for about a grand...

I didn't have the money on me so I went home and got it. I then returned to Best Buy, got my purchase and began dragging it to the cashier up front.

About half way to the cashier the manager approached me with a push cart and said..

"Man , looks like they left you hanging huh??

I replied.." nah they helped me out just fine.." because the salesman had answered all my questions just fine during my initial trip.

The manager loaded up my boxes and pushed them toward the front of the store, right past the cashier.....right to my car!!

He never once asked if I had already paid, nor any other question..

The only thing I did wrong was walk quietly beside him and think him profusely as I shook his hand and left...

I was a hair worried about cameras or what have you. Until I realized that the manager didn't WANT to realize what happened..

If he stays quiet it's a number on a spreadsheeet.

If he checks to see if I paid later. Then he just personally walked about 1200$ in product ..

Even if I had an attack of conscious, and take it all back. It would only either get him fired or ATLEAST make him look like an idiot..

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

That's gangsta bro!

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

When it's regular joes, it's stealing...

When it's a multibillion dollar corruption, insurance company or the government. It's a bank error in your favor lol..

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Yes you were stupid, lol...

Usually if you have to ask that question the answer is yes.

I had something similar happen at bestbuy..

I went up there to price gaming PCs and found one I wanted for about a grand...

I didn't have the money on me so I went home and got it. I then returned to Best Buy, got my purchase and began dragging it to the cashier up front.

About half way to the cashier the manager approached me with a push cart and said..

"Man , looks like they left you hanging huh??

I replied.." nah they helped me out just fine.." because the salesman had answered all my questions just fine during my initial trip.

The manager loaded up my boxes and pushed them toward the front of the store, right past the cashier.....right to my car!!

He never once asked if I had already paid, nor any other question..

The only thing I did wrong was walk quietly beside him and think him profusely as I shook his hand and left...

I was a hair worried about cameras or what have you. Until I realized that the manager didn't WANT to realize what happened..

If he stays quiet it's a number on a spreadsheeet.

If he checks to see if I paid later. Then he just personally walked about 1200$ in product ..

Even if I had an attack of conscious, and take it all back. It would only either get him fired or ATLEAST make him look like an idiot..

So you never paid?

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Nah the only part that was brilliant was me not telling on my self by reacting strangely In the 2 seconds it took me to realize he was walking out the door, and not to the cash register.. lol.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

But the question remains: why didn't you have an attack of conscience?

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Hell no..

Being honest I was worried about it for about an hour.. not morally, but legally...

I couldn't see how they could charge me with the manager giving me a computer... but still was sweating it..

Once I realized it was in the managers best interest to forget it ever happened. I quit worrying lol.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

It's just the way it is here. It's the norm. That's why they like Norm on Cheers.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Because it's a number on a spreadsheet to bestbuy...

Like I said, imho..

Real people, it's stealing..

Gajillion dollar company that will never notice ..

That's a bank error in your favor..

PS FYI: EBay is real people...

eBay ain't taking the loss, the seller is.. in assuming this as if it is amazon taking the loss.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

May I ask whether you are a young person in their twenties or early thirties?

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Because it's a number on a spreadsheet to bestbuy...

Like I said, imho..

Real people, it's stealing..

Gajillion dollar company that will never notice ..

That's a bank error in your favor..

PS FYI: EBay is real people...

eBay ain't taking the loss, the seller is.. in assuming this as if it is amazon taking the loss.

You do realize that loss to a Corporation due to theft is never taken by the Corporation but passed on in higher prices to the consumer don't ya? The fact you're bragging about it is telling.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I remember when I worked retail and hours got cut back and back and back and back and back and back and back...and now 40 hour work weeks don't exist in retail anymore!

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   
you planted yummy karmic fruits.
dont let regret sour the taste

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join