It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dan the - ‘Monster Man’ - best DIY Dragons EVER!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Dan the ‘Monster Man’ - The Best DIY Dragons EVER!

How to Train Your Dragon has to be my favorite movie ever and honestly, who doesn't want a dragon!

If you agree? Check out this thread - these monsters are SO AMAZING! And make sure and go to his link and see all his creations!

First, A little about Dan & Gourmet Paper Mache!

Around the Pacific Northwest I am known as Dan “the Monster Man.”
A reporter and photographer showed up at my dingy little apartment close to the zoo (appropriately). I lived on a busy street and was known to the locals as “the crazy guy with all the monsters.” They asked questions and took pictures and two weeks later the article appeared (with my baby face) on the front cover and the headline “Dan the Monster Man.”

source

I made my first monster along with my fifth grade students. I wanted my kids to do an art project that I knew would be successful. And I wanted it to be messy and take some effort. Paper mache monsters fit the bill perfectly. I developed my unique variation of paper mache combined with cloth and glue in an attempt to make our projects stronger. There was lots of Elmer’s glue at the school and I had kids bring in old bed sheets. That cloth skin certainly did add strength. The cloth also opened possibilities for detail not afforded by traditional paper mache.

The bottom line is that most paper mache artists sculpt with some armature material like chicken wire and then put a “skin” of mache over it. I actually sculpt with paper mache balls and then add a skin “cloth mache”.

The Simple Screamer: A Guide to the Art of Paper and Cloth Mâché

That book detailed the making of a “Screamer”, a monster just like we used to make in my elementary classroom.

Make Something Ugly for a Change: The Definitive Guide to Paper and Cloth Mâché

That book, and the sequel to my first were in print for 25 years around the world.

Papier Mâché Monsters: Turning Trinkets and Trash into Magnificent Monstrosities

Before you leave, perhaps you’d like to have a peek into my studio. Well, it’s my old studio. I’ve since remodeled. This photo is a few years old. Still, it’s fun to do this. Click on the (link) photo below and it will take you to the work of renowned Virtual Reality photographer Bradford Bohonus.

Virtual Reality

The bottom line is that, after all of these years, I still love this art form. It “feeds” me the right way. It is a wonderful vehicle for artistic self-expression. If you haven’t tried it, you should. Period.

He’s right and I can’t wait. I had a papier mache cat for ages and she finally ‘died’... It’s time to get back into it and this time, a DRAGON!

I’d encourage anyone who wants an outlet to go to his vids and page and see what he has to teach you. Really nice guy.

All pictures/content has been used with direct permission from the artist.

Enjoy!

edit on 3154Saturday201713 by silo13 because: link fix

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Same here, I love How to Train My Dragon.

His creations are magnificent and doubly so when papier mache is a messy and awkward medium. He's mastered it and taken it off to another level with the cloth hack (or cheat?).

I wonder if his work will catch the eye of someone in the movie/TV business? 'JimHensonating' the models would look good for film.

He kinda reminds me of a guy from England who makes amazing creatures from hub caps.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Those are fabulous also - the pics you posted.

I've been trying to learn to work in resin but I'm thinking about hanging it up for PM.

Please watch the video - it's well worth it.

And he said the 'cloth' is the next level of giving great 'definition'...

Glad you liked the Dragons!

peace

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing this with us today.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

I thought you might like it.

It is marvelous isn't it.

peace

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
OMG, awesome!

I LOVE dragons!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Me also!

You think you might try to make one???

It would be so cool!!!

peace

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Sorry, I was subscribed to too many threads and forgot about this one. I love crafts, but I don't think I would have the patience to make one. LOL

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I would so love to try though. Looks like loads of fun and probably pretty cathartic.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Oh please do. Post pics when you are through making one!

top topics

join