It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Weather Service warns against 'fake forecasts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
With the disaster of Hurricane Harvey comes another named Irma.

Irma is in the Atlantic and gaining steam towards ???

Well the ??? has spawned a "warning" from the National Weather Service about Fake Forecasts !!!!

Apparently social media is going wild about Irma heading straight for Texas and Louisiana !!

It isn't of course.

But how many think it might be because of the "Fake Forecasts" ?

National Weather Service warns against 'fake forecasts

A fake weather forecast is making its way around social media that shows Hurricane Irma tracking directly toward the Texas/Louisiana Gulf coast.

The National Weather Service warned Friday that the storm warning is misleading.

Keep your eyes out for fake forecasts. THIS is what an official NOAA advisory looks like. Note: forecast only goes out 5 days. #Irma pic.twitter.com/9k87y7jkMz

Among the users sharing the false forecast, a Buzzfeed reporter on Twitter pointed out a public Facebook post shared more than 36,000 times.

“Everyone needs to pay attention to Hurricane Irma,” the post reads. “She’s predicted to come through Mexico, hit us and everything in between up to Houston. She's already a Category 2 and hasn't even got into warm water yet.”

edit on Sep-02-2017 by xuenchen because: warningwarning

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
All you need to know...www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Social media tends to be a pox with fake things that people post to get attention, or to see how far something they posted will go.

Remember all the "Mars will be so close it will look as big as the full Moon!" posts?

Just recently prior to the 2017 solar eclipse, you had tons of posts going on about the Perseid meteor showers, making claims that it was going to be huge and have more meteors than in decades (and was completely bogus and untrue).

Anyone who sees stuff like this posted on places like Facebook so do some research and do their diligence in finding out if something is true.......or if it's a huge steaming pile of BS.

edit on 9/2/2017 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I am used to weather networks making bad forecasts. They always have to throw a chance of rain that doesn't happen. Ugh.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

IKR. I waited all week for rain, and we only had some of it last night with the remanents of Harvey. I think I only got an inch in my pool.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This started in /pol/. Every day they had general threads about Harvey. Eventually they started eying a low pressure system that was to become Irma. People started making fake forecasts as a joke and then I guess they were taken to social media. Of course the most gullible people reside in social media.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
That is real jerk ass thing to do.
South Texas is a mess.
We don't need any bull#.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
That is real jerk ass thing to do.
South Texas is a mess.
We don't need any bull#.

Well, there's a mindset now that it's cool to be a jerk, like Milo Yiannopoulos for instance, it's the new reiligion, Ironically their thesis is that you are the jerk if you are fooled by the likes of them. The truth is that they have nothing better to do.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

texas doesnt need any bull#?

then why have so many cattle??

hhhmmm??

everything is clickbait these days. I mean the internet has always been that way but i feel like it used to be... before social media internet users ...people were a bit more savvy. We were used to it. Now everyone is on the internet.

The weather is fake news lol.. whats next..?? medical advice??

....oh wait..

edit on 2-9-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Only muppets believe stories from social media without checking the source first. That's one of the benefits of ATS, the percentage of muppets is lower than some other internet communication platforms.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs
a reply to: skunkape23

texas doesnt need any bull#?

then why have so many cattle??

hhhmmm??

Most of it has washed down stream.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A source of mine that works for CNN says Irma is going to come ashore somewhere in between Mexico and Maine.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
it's so far out, I don't think they really have a good idea where it's gonna go.
I do hope it doesn't enter the gulf, doesn't look like it's gonna enter the gulf...
but... I have no idea, maybe it could enter the gulf.
or it could hit NYC... or anywhere in between.
then again, it could turn and head for england...

it could be a monstrous storm and all I am gonna say is that we all should keep an eye on it and well, probably stay out of it's way?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I remember learning about fake forcasts as a kid. "The Sky is Falling"! cried Chicken Little. And some little boy cried wolf. Sticks and stones can break my bones in a Category 5, but fake forecasts can never hurt me!

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm just gonna post this here for people's consideration...

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Good find. Thanks for posting.

In my opinion, facebook is the biggest culprit in spreading 'fake forecasts' and its a lot more than fake forecasts; fake news especially the rabble rousing kind seems to have infected the giant social media platform.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
Good find. Thanks for posting.

In my opinion, facebook is the biggest culprit in spreading 'fake forecasts' and its a lot more than fake forecasts; fake news especially the rabble rousing kind seems to have infected the giant social media platform.

its because its "social media"

ever been told to go to the far right line to sign up for basketball team, and you go up and 90% of everyone is in the left line? # its hard nit to follow the pack..

its just that sime and the like button just seals the deal.

now instead of fake news....

insert agendas here.

quick act on my agenda before the heard shuns you or leaves you behind.. there are lions out there.. stay in the herd yo.

edit on 2-9-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Too far out to know where it will go.
Maybe another week before they can see if it's going to hit the US coast

Im checking the NHC, I'll rely on that

Still a good idea to keep an eye on it though. Doesn't hurt to be prepared as it is peak season right now.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Want to know how you can tell if a weather forecast is fake news .. if they make a weather prediction.

new topics

top topics

join