It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think the Internet will be like 10 years from now?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

That depends on who you're asking.

And omission, typical by they who care not.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I'm glad we agree. The rest, they are the innovators..And i thank you for your innovation to see things as they are, not everyone does.

Now what we're posed with is .. what are we to do about it'? And how? People simply don't know how to come together and stand without argumentation and disagreement.

What we need are suggestions and an interest protecting our freedoms before we no longer have any.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Lol at you basing it all on appearance.

3 guys in a basement providing a search engine, is a far cry from what google is now. AI, Robotics, Space exploration, amongst so many other avenues of research. One of the largest ad revenue services, the largest and most intrusive search engine on the planet, free Email, controlling the largest online video/streaming service, the most popular architecture for mobile devices short of limited versions of linux of which android is based, floating wifi hot spots for remote areas, ships that never land at port...

from basement to global domination. Grab your google cardboard and watch some complete 360 3D VR videos and forget about it... all for your own benefit as a productive citizen of planet googl.. I mean planet earth.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire
What we need are suggestions and an interest protecting our freedoms before we no longer have any.

In my humble opinion, we've already passed the point of no return.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Not everyone likes ice cream, and that is what we're depending on.

The 30% that aren't falling for the chocolate syrup and can see past the cherry on top.

It's those people who will change the world, It's those people who will save our asses, it could be you, me and 5% of ATS. We don' know who they might be...

All we know is it needs to be done. Now.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   

That depends on who you're asking.

And omission, typical by they who care not.

Thoughtful.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I try.. I know Men are respected more than Women, it's a given.. atleast in my experience.

No i'm not Liberal and No i wont attack you lol... I'm just portraying what i perceived growing up, and how i see life in general. Nothing is right or wrong, it just is.
edit on 2-9-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
More refined, but with directed advertising getting increasingly intrusive and annoying. Large corporations skimming your data without you knowing (or caring) and building vast databases about you.

F'ing nightmare. Probably look yo pull the plug myself in five years.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sapphire

It'll be like the shopping channel (if it isn't already) with people forced to be "nice" to each other through fear of sanction , free speech is becoming a thing of the past and the days of the internet being an interesting and slightly dangerous place are fast coming to an end.
I remember the old days with fondness and lament the politically correct crowd neutering it and governments shackling it.

edit on 2-9-2017 by gortex because: Spelling again

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thank you gortex.. I appreciate that very much, and agree.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

It'll be like the shopping channel (if it isn't already) with people forced to be "nice" to each other through fear of sanction , free speech is becoming a thing of the past and the days of the internet being an interesting and slightly dangerous place are fast coming to an end.
I remember the old days with fondness and lament the politically correct crowd neutering it and governments shackling it.

You mean you miss when crowds of bullies could level endless death threats and rape threats against vulnerable women, driving them into depression and in some cases suicide?

Because that's what we're talking about when you talk about people being forced to be 'nice', what the attempts at 'censorship' are about, that's what the 'politically correct' crows are trying to do, it is trying to shut up the toxic trolls who are making death and rape threats.

I'd be quite happy to exist with an internet without those ugly little trolls.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

That's a bit harsh, i've never seen him post anything to agree with what you're accusing him of. Please redefine. Without the rude reply preferrably.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I try.. I know Men are respected more than Women, it's a given.. atleast in my experience.

No i'm not Liberal and No i wont attack you lol... I'm just portraying what i perceived growing up, and how i see life in general. Nothing is right or wrong, it just is.

It's difficult to argue against that. Can respect and admiration be separated? I have admired ladies that I have respected and vice-versa.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

You mean you miss when crowds of bullies could level endless death threats and rape threats against vulnerable women, driving them into depression and in some cases suicide?

Do I mean that ?
That's the kind of bogus argument the PC crowd have used to get us to the point we are now , death threats are not free speech they are against the law and prosecutable online or off and rightly so , offending peoples sensibilities is not the same thing.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Thank you that was most admiral of you

I jest,, ok i dont but i do. I'm a woman changing my mind is normal according to most men so what do you care.

I was going to say more but i'm going to stop.

I may write a blog and then post it,would that work?

I'm itching to say more but i can't .... gdi

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I got onto the internet in 1993 - just when Billy Idol's "Cyberpunk" CD came out. I used Trumpet winsock from Demon Internet to get online. Had Email and Usenet. Forums existed, but you would have to choose the discussions you wanted to subscribe (download headers first, pick and choose, download articles, read, comment, then when you are ready, upload those comments). No image based web browsing unless you had NCSA mosaic and an Apple/SGI workstation. Image files were transferred by converting the data into ASCII binary (uuencode/uudecode).

Couple of years later (1996), everything now has images. Some websites had videos but these were badly compressed mpegs and jpegs with dithering due to limited storage space. Websites are home made and look more like collage books that everyone made themselves from sticky glue and magazine cutouts. The largest domain was Geocities which aimed to be like a virtual country where each suburb had a different theme just like a real world city, so all similar blogs and websites were kept together. This was probably the largest community with 38 million accounts.

en.wikipedia.org...!_GeoCities

"Web rings" were a way of linking similar websites hosted by different ISP's. Every webpage would have [next] and [prev] links which linked to somewhere else. Sometimes there were "index" websites that linked to everyone else.

The internet is going to get more integrated and less anonymous, perhaps to the point that you have a choice of several "ID authentication services" like Google or Twitter before you can do anything. Screens will become larger and flatter. Maybe someday they will finally crack holographic displays and kids will play with holographic board games on the floor.

edit on 2-9-2017 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Nice, but you forgot to mention DalNet ..

ETA: Geocities! it's where i created webpages after learning html with notepad!

To be honest i was pissed when they ditched Geo.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

PM it if you don't want to go off topic.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Gortex isn't like that and you can tell by his posts he isn't. I think we'd all like to live without the toxic trolls and 99.999% of people are disgusted by on-line bullying. Nobody but other toxic trolls would miss them.

It's wise to be careful about levelling up our disgust into censorship. Not because we support or agree with some hate-filled people, but because censorship can be a very blunt weapon. There's the question of 'who watches the watchers?' Who do we trust to be deciding who gets censored and who gets the soapbox? I imagine we could pick at the edges of social media and ban the Islamic extremism, the bullying, the race hatred, the advocates for war, the rival sport fans organising violence, the Antifa planning political riots, sad men calling famous women bitches...

What I think might happen is we'd find ourselves picking at the edges until there's not a lot left. This is why we have to think carefully if it's worth protecting freedom of expression and freedom of speech. Censorship is a powerful weapon to give to governments and freedom of speech is terrible thing to lose.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join