It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DACA immigrants terrified as President Trump decides their fate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
So xPresident Obama starts the DACA program for people who are technically "illegal immigrants" because they came to the U.S. when they were children.

Many actually have gone through the system and are known to the "government".

Many others have not.

Now President Trump is probably going to change the rules.

To what extent who knows.

Trump is supposedly going to announce whatever it is on Tuesday.

People in Congress have been vocal this week as well.

The whole thing is based on some orders from Obama, and trump's "actions" will be too.

Well what should be done ?

Why hasn't Congress done anything in the recent past? (especially the 2009-2010 Congress).

Here's an article citing some heart-tugging living testimonials.....

DACA immigrants terrified as President Trump decides their fate

Leezia Dhalla is spending her days glued to the news, anxiously waiting for President Trump finally to announce whether he will kill the program that has protected her and nearly 800,000 other young undocumented immigrants from deportation.

Trump is considering ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, a program he inherited from President Barack Obama that allows DREAMERS — immigrants illegally brought to the United States as children — to remain.

After weeks of speculation over the future of the program, Trump told reporters Friday that “We love the DREAMers," and will announce a decision "sometime over the weekend ... probably Sunday, Saturday. The latest will be Monday."

DACA

edit on Sep-01-2017 by xuenchen because: contemptuous

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Trump is offering the GOP exactly what they have used as sound bites in their far- right rhetoric for years. From healthcare to DACA, the horror of the reality of actually enacting what they've been preaching is being exposed now.

When the rubber meets the road, the mantras have been exposed as hoaxes for campaign purposes only and are not things most people consider remotely compassionate, humane, or even economically desirable.

The GOP platform sucks and is nonsensical, rewarding individual winners at the expense of literally everyone else.
Keep DACA. For all the right reasons.

It's horrible to hold their lives in limbo like this. My heart breaks. This is not our America if their protections are removed.

Thanks for posting.
Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
People brought here as children shouldn't be punished for the crimes an adult chose to commit. Not to mention since they were protected by DACA they were able to get educations and vocational training the same as any legal citizen. Now that so many of them fill vital roles (companies are stating is the very reason they love DACA and support it) and pay taxes... we're going to deport them?

Logic fail.
edit on 9/1/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I see this daca stuff as a big PR stunt. Media has been whipping up a frenzy about it and making Trump look like he's going to send kids who are English speaking educated Americans by scholastic standards back to Mexico. All this negative Trump information comes from people close to the president. Who the hell is that? Media says Trump lies but they trust a source close to the "liar". Watch Trump will say the current dreamers in the country are safe. Nothing is going to happen to them. It'll make him look good and media look stupid with the "Trump's ending daca" bs. Possibly sniff out a leak "close to the president".

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
How many Dreamers have applied for citizenship?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm all for the wall. As well as strong, enforced immigration policies.

But we have to draw the line somewhere. Good lord, let's show some compassion. Let the kids stay.

Just as a political move, it'd gain points.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

I'm pretty sure they can't.

ETA: In my experience, anyone that can straighten out their immigration status does so. These kids couldn't even get green cards.
edit on 1-9-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starcrossd

They can't because they are still illegal. They can apply for green cards though. Which a good percentage do... to work they need their green card. I think you need one to attend school or training programs. So that many at least.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starcrossd

Maybe they didn't feel that they needed to apply for citizenship? Although I can't imagine why.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't think so. If someone applied to the dreamer program it was because they had no other way to become legal.

Maybe some got married to citizens or any other "shady" moves.

Was there an easier way for dreamers to change their status?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

They've already started deporting DACA people.

CINCINNATI — Immigration police officers seized a 22-year-old mother of two young children last week and are holding her for deportation despite having legal status, the Enquirer has learned.

Enriquez, the married mother of two children, ages 5 and 11 months, is a two-time recipient of legal status through the DACA program. Otherwise known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, it was created in 2012 through an executive order by then-president Barack Obama to provide temporary relief for young adults who had been brought illegally into the country as children.

Link

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Kali74

I don't think so. If someone applied to the dreamer program it was because they had no other way to become legal.

Maybe some got married to citizens or any other "shady" moves.

Was there an easier way for dreamers to change their status?

Unfortunately it's true. This is the main reason Obama wanted to grant Amnesty to those eligible for DACA. I found this Quora:

Kelly Kinkade, IT geek, former law student, many other things
Answered Nov 16, 2016 · Upvoted by Kathryn Berck, Former US diplomat and consular officer.

The reason people covered by DACA do not apply for citizenship is that they aren’t allowed to.

Federal immigration and naturalization law contains a categorical bar that prevents, in most circumstances, a person from applying for permanent residency or citizenship if their most recent entry to the United States was “uninspected”: that is, other than at a port of entry where they were inspected by a border control officer.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
According to this article from June, President Trump is NOT terminating the DACA program.
www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Look while I get illegal immigration is a problem as Cowboy said, we do need to draw the line somewhere.

I believe those who leech of the system and commit crimes should be deported while those who are hard working and contributed to society should stay.

edit on 9/1/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
According to this article from June, President Trump is NOT terminating the DACA program.
www.theatlantic.com...

From the article I linked above:

"We called ICE in Chicago, and the person there told us, ‘When Trump came in, DACA doesn't exist anymore.’ I couldn't believe they told me that."

It seems everyone at ICE already knows the score.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

is a two-time recipient of legal status through the DACA program

How the HADES can you gain legal status twice ? Why ?
Something bigtime shady there

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: underwerks

is a two-time recipient of legal status through the DACA program

How the HADES can you gain legal status twice ? Why ?
Something bigtime shady there

My take on it is that once you were in the DACA program you were considered legal by the government for all intents and purposes. Jobs, school, etc. Even if you hadn't made it to where you can get a green card yet.

And now those same people are starting to be rounded up, and told they aren't considered legal anymore.

I could be wrong about the specifics of the legal/illegal status. It's kind of a gray area from what I've been reading.
edit on 1-9-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You have to be reevaluated every so many years (2 I think) and get approved to keep your DACA status.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I believe Trump should allow people brought here as young kids to stay if they want to. They may not remember any other country and are low risk. Let them get jobs.

Will Trump do this? I have no idea. If the unemployment rate keeps going down, we will need more workers.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
He should let them stay, but strip them of any future voting rights, since Obama let them in and committed immigration fraud by allowing them in illegally, then shielded them, and propagandized them to vote democrat, and colluded with the DNC to accept illegal votes from illegals.
And a hundred other things swept under the dirt floor.

But don't punish them for Obama's crimes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join