It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google is coming after critics in academia and journalism It's time to stop them

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So much for Net Neutrality.

Unless this is what you want.

Yay?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Boycott Google and watch how fast that backfires in your society.

It's official, the Right is anti-intelligence.

Google is a tool, grow up and learn to use tools already, instead of being used by thrm.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Shamrock6

The search engine that doesn't track you.

duckduckgo

I switched to DuckDuckGo a few months ago and haven't missed Google one bit.

Switch your default web page away from google or even firefox and to duck-duck-go.
I'm currently trying to eliminate the useage of my gmail account but some services like Linkedin won't let me change subscription email addresses without cancelling them. Other websites won't accept my unsubscribe request unless I log in.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: loam
And they will curse us for 100 years, or until they rewrite history and we disappear.

Our forefathers fought, toiled, and died to give us a better life. We gave our children electronic collars and handed the remote over to the system for complete control of them.

What a might legacy we leave them.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   
DuckDuckGo or, my favourite:
Startpage
It uses Google, but stops Google from sucking your data off.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Startpage is good.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Welcome to 1984. Glad i'm nearly half way to my end.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

If you are really worried about tracking you should delete your Facebook.

Whats Facebook?

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I don't like the idea of Google coming after "us" academics. But as an ex-academic, I appreciate what I can learn from Google far more than what a panel of "experts" in my field, or related fields, could tell me. Everybody has an agenda, including Google. But theirs is so huge, they could mostly care less about academics, right? And if an idea has teeth, even Google can't stop it. I mean, I didn't need Google to find this forum post, dig?

All I'm saying is, screw academia. Google represents free speech far better, and far more completely, than a bunch of stuck-up, presumptive, lecturing, over-educated, judgetarian academics ever will.

In other words, Anonymous Geeks Rule the Universe!!! Including they rule Google itself, whether Google knows it or not. A single man or woman with access to codes that drive a search algorithm on Google potentially has more power than all the news media combined. And rest assured, many human beings know how to hack aspects of Google. The corporations's agenda may be large, but no agenda can controll all the complex information resources they own, which resources include most importantly the people who work there, especially the coders and developers.

I spent a day there once, being an expert on something. There's a lot of smart, savvy, competitive, ruthless people there with their own personal (diverse) agendas. In spite of the great setting and incredible food, I couldn't stand it there. It's a massive hive of hive-minded twenty- and thirty-somethings. But frankly, those people aren't old enough to control the rest of us. They are too driven by horomones, idealism, materialism, and sheer ordinariness to control the discourse of the world. The rank and file of Google is too desperate to succeed to agree with itself -- or to not manipulate the system for personal reasons.

So goes my reasoning, for why Google is lame excuse for a state. It's a megacorporation, like IBM or Microsoft. Its day has arrived, and it too will fade as other corporate entities, like Tesla, come to dominate the future economy more and more. Also, Google doesn't own the IoT. That's the future of data-mining, and it's a wild, open frontier.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen>>> There were some posts and discussuin about CNN's faking a story about one of their reporters rescuing a driver who drove his pickup truck into a flooded ditch. It LOOKED staged and given CNN's lack of credibility and their recent damaged reputation, it wasn't hard to agree with those who analyzed the video and pointed out discrepancies in it. But there was a quick response to dispel the charges of fakery and close the forum on it.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Great reply.

Reallly fascinating to hear your impressions after visiting Google.

I like your perspective on this.

Maybe you should write an article on your theory---maybe a book.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I don't get how often you can cry about these things... if you don't like it, don't use.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join