It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Proclaims Sunday Sept 3rd 2017 as a National Day for Harvey-related Prayers.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

What is "government sponsored prayer"? Those who decide to pray, pray to whatever deity they trust and believe in.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: Nyiah

Praying and doing something(like donating to relief) aren't mutually exclusive. People can and do both. Jeez.

Hey! You did a copy/paste of my response on page 2, didn't ya.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Not to throw a wrench in the works by actually getting back to the topic but this is one of those catch 22 scenarios. Trump doesn't do this he's a heartless bastard. He does and he's grandstanding.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: bknapple32
I'm curious why the prayers didn't stop the hurricane to begin with?

Everything that happens on Earth and in the cosmos is God's will. Some prayers aren't answered because they are contrary to what God has planned.

So what's gods plan when he gives a baby bone cancer?

He could be punishing the child's parents? God works in ways that don't make sense to his children sometimes.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
I bet if you were suddenly put in a real dire situation with death staring directly at you, most of you would drop to your knees and say a prayer.

That's why it's best to pray regularly. Sometimes death is so sudden, you don't have time to pray. Maybe not even time to say, "Uh Oh!". (Or whatever your favorite cuss word is.)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yea exactly. There are so many scenarios I could think of that would probably make a skeptic drop to their knees.

If you were on a sinking boat.

Maybe if you were adrift, lost at sea.

Somehow stranded on the side of a cliff hanging on to dear life.

All hypothetical of course, but when death is literally staring at you, I doubt even the hardest skeptics would dismiss God and just let go without even attempting a prayer.

Heck, if you woke up in the middle of the night and saw what looked like the devil staring at you, you would probably say a quick prayer.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

That is because you are projecting.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How does a simple "DAY OF PRAYER" create so much emotionally heated discussion?

We're in a country where every single person is free to NOT pray a minute in their life, if they don't want to. There's no punishment for ignoring a National Day of Prayer.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Religion is a big divider in the US.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I would never wish Ill or harm on anybody, but when you or your children are staring death in the face, I hope you aren't arrogant enough to stick with your convictions and completely dismiss God for no other reason than your own arrogance. Would you swallow your pride for your children's sake?

And by the way, I'm not even religious, but I keep an open mind to everything, and to say you know the absolute truth either way is a LIE.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Obviously opinions vary, but what is really on display here are the double standards that get applied when religion is involved.

Why on earth should a "National Day of Prayer" be off-limits to members' expressing their honest feelings about it? Why is stating variations of "prayer is meaningless, and what is needed in Texas is action." considered "hate"?

Come on.

There is thread after thread here denying basic logic, knowledge and scientific understanding. Those are my "beliefs" that get me through the day. Yet, I could probably list five or six threads on the ATS front page that are anti-science, and anti-logic.

Why isn't anyone who goes into any discussion about rationality making absurd baseless claims called a "hater"? Eh?

I'm sure this post is "off topic" as well. Fair enough, I'll take the penalty. But let's be honest.

The topic is a National Day of Prayer to help storm and flood victims. We should all have equal rights to state our opinions on it, pro or con. Religion should not be privileged at least not at the home of "Deny Ignorance."

IMO
edit on 1-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: is to are

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I most often see non-religious people reach out to higher-power for assistance when a loved one has become seriously ill.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Religion is a big divider in the US.

And it shouldn't be a big divider in any country. I think all the controversy is EGO-based. Why should any one of us care what another person's religious beliefs, or non-beliefs, are? To me, it all boils down to the "I'm right!" or "You're wrong!" vanity B.S..

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Sorry but your appeal to emotion falls on deaf ears.

What I know or what I think I know isn't the topic of the thread.
edit on 1-9-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I used to be a huge athiest, I would ridicule religion and all that. Until I hit absolute rock bottom and had absolutely NOBODY but myself. So of course I swallowed my pride and tried to speak to whoever or whatever would listen. Things happened to me that I cannot explain, but even then I remain an agnostic with an open mind. I think that's the problem, people hear God or prayer and automatically think religion. I'm quite spiritual but not religious at all.

Anyone saying they know for certain either way is nothing short of ignorant AND arrogant.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

You started it, in this instance, with this thread and asking that everyone unify in prayer.

The two currently most divisive topics in the US.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Ego based?

Your answer as to why god gives babies bone cancer suggests god has an ego and holds grudges.

Pretty scary stuff if that's what you believe.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Anyone saying they know for certain either way is nothing short of ignorant AND arrogant.

... and you know that for certain?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join