It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Proclaims Sunday Sept 3rd 2017 as a National Day for Harvey-related Prayers.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wow! The call for a day of prayer for the millions of victims of a major hurricane is met with hate and scorn. How very, very sad. What next, blame the victims, because that would be about equal to what I'm reading here. That and kicking puppies for fun.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Why? Because it's big bad Trump and he hasn't a good bone in his body?

Snagged!

Neither is obvious but that didn't stop you from acting like his sincerity was.

This is so dumb and you obviously missed the point. First of all, how are they not keeping it to themselves?

Edited: The public call could have not been made. You could have not come to a public forum to talk about it.

Secondly, how is it comparable to loser's that need to find negativity in everything?

The act of not making it public would be the same.

Comprehension. I didn't say old people..

I quoted you
"same old bitter people"

ETA: could be taken either way. Context was slim.

and did I say only bitter people say negative things? Take what I said in full context please.

I never said that you said only those people can say negative things. I was just adding that.

Then you obviously haven't found yourself yet.

How would you know?

This is fact.

That is not a fact. I am not bitter and I don't hate anything and I always say negative things. And you did say "only" this time.

edit on 1-9-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Neither is obvious but that didn't stop you from acting like his sincerity was.

The difference between me and you was that I took it at face value and had no reason to believe he was being insincere. You on the other hand, chose to look beyond that and search for a reason to be negative, only proving my point.

Keep it from other people. I'm a former christian I know what it means to pray in silence.

Who's making you pray? Are people forced to celebrate Valentine's day? Halloween? Christmas?

The act of not making it public would be the same.

What? Just no..

I quoted you 
"same old bitter people" 

Like I said, comprehension.

The same old kids keep coming back around.

How would you know?

"Finding yourself" is a pretty vague term. But I believe those that have truly found themselves don't waste their energy looking for reasons to hate, and more often than not, those that hate, are merely projecting what they hate in themselves.

So finding yourself = content with yourself = no need to hate.

That is not a fact. I am not bitter and I don't hate anything and I always say negative things.

You have really poor comprehension skills, or maybe it's on purpose for the sake of your arguments. Anyways, I'm not here to sway you.. do your thing daskakik.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
The difference between me and you was that I took it at face value and had no reason to believe he was being insincere. You on the other hand, chose to look beyond that and search for a reason to be negative, only proving my point.

The difference is that you are partisan.

Who's making you pray? Are people forced to celebrate Valentine's day? Halloween? Christmas?

Nobody said I was being forced to do anything. We were talking about people keeping things to themselves. You seemed fine when it was directed at those criticizing a call to prayer.

What? Just no..

Actually yes.

Not talking about prayer and not talking against prayer would be the same thing.

Like I said, comprehension.

Edited

"Finding yourself" is a pretty vague term. But I believe those that have truly found themselves don't waste their energy looking for reasons to hate, and more often than not, those that hate, are merely projecting what they hate in themselves.

What you believe and what is there for people to find might not match up. That is actually a bit of projecting on your part.

You have really poor comprehension skills

No, I don't disagree with you because I don't understand you. I genuinely think you are in error. Imagine that?

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

and we pray for healing and comfort for those in need.

Doesn't actually lend a hand, or a penny...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

The difference is that you are partisan

Lol? Just save your breath because I'm having a hard time taking you seriously or even caring about your opinion.

Enjoy your weekend though.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's a great gesture and hopefully will add focus to all those who are hurt and suffering.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

WOW!!!!!!
This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

My breath is not directed just at you.

However you take me or what you care about doesn't change the fact that you came in here claiming to know Trump's sincerity when you actually have no idea.

Then you basically told anyone questioning that sincerity to keep it to themselves.

I had to call that out.
edit on 1-9-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Yeah maybe they aught to have it in Joel Olsteen's church, that way the preacher with gold in his teeth and the carnival barker can share the proceeds

The new Pharisees

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Nobody has confidence in Trumps sincerity

Its called prayer to be seen of men

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
If it is God's will, what is the purpose of praying?

Because it tends to give faithful people some hope in what could otherwise be pretty hopeless circumstances.

I'll be honest here, I think there's very much a degree of unique assholery that leads anyone to mock the good intentioned prayers of others. It's very, very similar to walking into a room where a person has just been diagnosed with advanced cancer and heard some of the treatment option from the doctor, having been told "you can beat this" by the doctor, grabbing them by the shoulders and saying "Ignore that doctor, you're gonna die... just accept it now." If someone actually did that, they'd be rightly considered a POS human being... kinda like those who mock the prayers of others are.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Maybe, if any one of them is actually reading this thread.

Either way, it's third parties just discussing and your scenario does not apply.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

No, it applies in spades here. Believe me, it applies.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

No it doesn't, you believe me, it just doesn't.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Most people who are 'for this' I assume are already praying but it's a lovely thing for the President to do.

God Bless Texas!

peace

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Because it tends to give faithful people some hope in what could otherwise be pretty hopeless circumstances.

In my first post in this thread, I specifically said it was not my place to criticize those that do pray. If it gives them hope and a way to cope with tragedy, go for it.

I'll be honest here, I think there's very much a degree of unique assholery that leads anyone to mock the good intentioned prayers of others.

I can understand that. It's only a prayer and it can't necessarily hurt anyone or anything.

It's very, very similar to walking into a room where a person has just been diagnosed with advanced cancer and heard some of the treatment option from the doctor, having been told "you can beat this" by the doctor, grabbing them by the shoulders and saying "Ignore that doctor, you're gonna die... just accept it now."

Well, I don't think that is a very good comparison, but I get what you are trying to impart.

If someone actually did that, they'd be rightly considered a POS human being... kinda like those who mock the prayers of others are.

I don't find it productive to mock others for praying, but I think it is reasonable to question the effectiveness of prayer. While it may help people emotionally, it does not seem to serve any other purpose.

As George Carlin stated in his stand-up bit, you could pray to Joe Pesci and get the same results.
edit on 1-9-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Imo, in this case, it’s clear what has to be done

Charity, warmth, and help to our Texas brothers and sisters in distress.

Here our deeds are our prayers, as well...

God bless Texas

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

No it doesn't, you believe me, it just doesn't.

Good lord. Are you just going to argue with everyone?

As an agnostic I would have just walked past this thread. I don't believe but seeing others dumping on this for whatever reason pisses upsets me.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Yeah, it does apply. Look beyond this point in time situation, Hurricane Harvey, and look forward into the lives of pretty much all of us. At some point in time, everyone deals with potentially "hopeless" situations. Be it the loss of a loved one and the feeling of crushing mourning, illness, disaster, or even just an emotionally devastating scenario... point in time hopelessness is something virtually everyone will end up dealing with. Now look at that in the context of this thread. If some idiot;s mocking of prayer takes it off the table for even one person, then that idiot has just become a POS who essentially stole hope from someone. It's exactly the same as telling someone fighting a terminal illness "Why bother, you're going to die regardless."

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join