It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irma turning into monster hurricane, "Highest windspeed forecasts I've ever seen".

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

the thing is, it would be too costly, only the more wealthy would be able to afford those kinds of houses, the rest would still be living in the more flimsy structures that you see thrown around texas by the last hurricane. all those mc mansions looked real nice when they were built before the last housing bust, but there really wasn't much to them.. it was how they kept them in the affordable range. now, many of them are falling apart with just ordinary wear and tear.

and you know darn well that the wealthy aren't gonna live anywhere where there isn't any of the servant class around to work in the restuarants, stores, golf clubs, ect.

I just hope this monster doesn't end up in the gulf and hit the rest of it's coastline!

edit on 1-9-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

Well, I find it absolutely ridiculous that in these zones, where there is a serious risk of hurricane, flood or tornadoes, that the government permits regular housing to be constructed. Put simply, its socially irresponsible to permit house building firms and realtors, to put regular, simple brick and mortar properties on the market, when they are incapable of standing up to the rigors of the times and weathering they will encounter.

I am also all for people living where they want to, but I damned well insist that if someone is going to be sold a home, and insurance for it of any kind, that the home be strong enough to withstand at least the worst recorded circumstances of weather in the region its being built in.

Its like these poor folks in Tornado Alley... every year a city or town gets partially demolished, or entirely flattened. Every year, a new trailer is purchased, or a new timber framed house, put up where an old one exactly like it became matchsticks in seconds the year before. This has to END, it makes NO sense, and it puts lives, as well as a persons future from a financial perspective, in absolute peril.

If people need homes in these places, then they have to be built to protect the homeowner from the prevailing circumstances! I mean, in Japan, where quakes are common, they have buildings which are designed to prevent catastrophic structural failure in the event of a quake. Tall buildings pretty much anywhere are fitted with lightning rods, to prevent lightning damage and fires. We fireproof things (unless someone is cutting corners) to prevent fire damage as much as possible. We have locks on doors and windows to prevent theft. We have double glazing to keep out the cold.

Taken further, a home, a building of any kind, has to be suitable to the location it is in, and the weather conditions it faces... I just do not get how it is possible to insure any home which has not been proofed against that which threatens it to some degree! You cannot insure a house with no locks on its doors and windows, or zero fire mitigation in its design, or bad wiring. So how can anyone insure a flood prone house?

(post by Tucket removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

But will it?

Think about it logically for a moment. You can build a thing once and properly, and spend as much as it costs to do right. Or, you can build, re-build, and re-build again, so many times that eventually, you wound up spending the same damned money as you would have building it correctly, once, right at the start.

It is false economy to continue to do things as cheaply as possible, when all that will happen is your having to repeat the process over and over, and over again over the years. Insurers keep complaining about the problem of insuring these places and the costs they run up during hurricane and tornado season, but refuse to use their clout to force housing firms to actually build houses which are fit for the locations they are in... you cannot be telling me that this makes even a lick of sense!

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

??? since when does human societies do much of anything that makes sense??
I live in a town that floods often, are you surprised when I tell you that the most flood proned areas are also the ones that house the poorest people while the rich mansions sit in the higher elevations. heck we have a newer apartment complex that floods on just about a yearly basis... cheap rent, but well, you might end up in investing in a newer used car once every year or two...
my answer to the hurricane problem would be to just move the residential areas back about a hundred miles. turn the coastlines into more of a natural park like setting. allow some recreational complexes be built on the shoreline, with a much higher building standard than is in place now that have the all those things that you'd want in such an envioronment, but then the businesses would be responsible for ensuring that their employers are also housed in safe homes also.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Humans will live in areas that are prone to bad things happening, but for good reasons:

Coastal areas: people have lived along ocean coasts, lakes and rivers since humans first started cities. The fishing that provides food, trade markets for ships, and irrigation that the fresh water systems provide.

Volcanoes: Soil around volcanoes is very, very fertile and produces excellent crops. When I lived in Naples, Italy as a teen, I often wondered why people were crazy enough to live on the slopes of a active volcano.....this is why.

Earthquake prone areas: Fault lines are everywhere and earthquakes can happen anywhere at any time. If everyone decided to live in areas where earth quakes were rare, we'd all be crammed into very small areas of the Earth.

Tornadoes: again, technically these can happen anywhere on the planet. Just bad luck that there are a couple of areas here in the US that are much more prone to them due to the weather patterns of those areas....but also where vast tracts of land are food producing areas (crops).

Some of these things do not happen for generations, so the people there get complacent about it, simply because decades or longer go by without anything really bad happening. It's not so much that humans are stupid.......it's the long periods of nothing happening coupled with the draw of the rewards for those areas (fishing.....crop growing, etc).

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yea they always spout the worst case scenario, rather than listing both ends of the possibilities..

Imho that is why people don't evacuate..

When only 1/20 hurricanes are as powerful as predicted, and almost none are ever worse, people doubt the analysis.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Human beings make an awful lot of poor decisions, its true. But that is not going to get any better by simply shrugging the shoulders, and saying "Ah well, its all on fire, blown over, shredded and buggered up, but since when does anything we do make any sense?".

It made no sense to accuse random people of witchcraft and burn them at the stake, but it happened. Thankfully, in parts of the world not crushed by dark ages thinking, that no longer happens. It makes no sense to continue to base an economy on the price of a container full of fuel, in an era where it is technologically possible to power the entirety of the lives of citizens with absolutely renewable energy supplies. It makes no sense to continue to make war on powerless nations, when we know for a fact now that these wars are artificial and the product of illegal activity on the part of our intelligence infrastructures. It makes no sense to continue to pay taxes, unless the government is spending them correctly, evenly, fairly and well, rather than for the benefit of the few at the top.

And unless someone kicks up a stink and points out these obvious truths at some point, they never change worth a crap!

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I can tell you this for a fact:

If it rains when your house is halfway up a mountain, you do NOT get a flood. You might get a landslip, or a rockslide, or a mudslide, or some other thing, but you do not get a flood. Flooding is a problem which only affects landscapes which are either low lying, or are some how bowl shaped.

Generally speaking though, if you live up an incline of any size worth a crap, you are not getting flooded.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: WeRpeons

What I cannot understand for the life of me, is why houses in at risk areas are STILL being built as if they were in a totally weather safe area.

Its pretty simple. In a flood plain? Build houses to totally mitigate the flood threat, with pressure seal capable entrances and windows, with the ability to totally lock the place down like a submarine in extremis. In a tornado prone area? Build the majority of the dwelling underground, hardened like a bunker, and bolted to the damned bedrock if necessary. In a hurricane area? Again, flood protection must be built in so that no flood could move the home from its foundations, nor penetrate its outer shell during high water, AND the building must be shaped so that the wind moves around it, rather than pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving it or any component thereof, AND so that any debris hitting it deflects, rather than penetrates it.

Insuring THAT kind of property against the things it has been built to withstand perfectly well, would be a damned sight cheaper, and be more responsible on the part of house builders and local governance.

While it sounds like a good idea in theory....It's impossible to build a home that can withstand all mother nature has to offer. I'm sure you know that. However here is a good example of what you're talking about. This guy built it as tough as he could and this was about the only home that survived during Ivan....Interesting build and great looking home actually.

DOME HOME

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

lol... I am about halfway up a mountain, and my road often floods to the point where we can't get out for awhile, even in not so bad rainstorms...
there's valleys and streams in them there mountains.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The guy who predicted Harvey going inland and flooding Houston said there is another hurricane pending that will hit the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Nothing about continental landfall.

For what it's worth.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

The long and short of it is that we live on a dangerous planet and nothing and no one is ever completely safe. You could trip and fall and bash your brains out from this minute to the next no matter who you are or where you live.

Trying to plan against and make yourself safe from every eventuality leads to madness and a fear of life itself, after all, you were born headed for death.

Most of everything is simply playing the odds, and most of these large disasters are very uncommon. If the scope of flooding we see now in Houston was as common as all that, Houston would not be there now. it would have been impossible for it to have grown to the extent it has. The same goes for any other large, urban area on a coast ... or fault line ... or on the plains ... or nestled against the flanks of a volcano.

When one of these things happens, we always play this game and armchair quarterback, but in the end, we go back to playing the odds.

Case in point ... remember the flooding along the Mississippi in 1993? The entire drainage was inundated all that summer, and I recall all the people wondering why folks would live on those flood plains. Here we are 24 years out, and there hasn't been floods like that since, and that year, no one could recall having seen flooding like that except maybe the real old timers. In other words, you know it can happen, but the chances of it happening while you are there? From this year to the next ... After all, it had been over 10 years since the last major hurricane in the US.

And I recall being in Florida just shortly prior to Andrew and visiting the Everglades, and they showed us pictures of the damage from the last Andrew level hurricane to hit, and it had happened maybe when I was a baby or just before I had been born. I was a young adult at that point.
edit on 1-9-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: pravdaseeker

It is not even predicted to hit land and you're saying it will be a cat five at landfall.
How about we give the doom and destruction a rest for a day or two.
Jesus H Christ.

It gives the global warming crowd something to point to and say, "See. We warned you!"

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

If they can build storm chasing vehicles that can lock down to the ground and not move an inch when hit with the full force of a tornado (which they can), then they can build a house which will survive a tornado, a hurricane, and a flood. There are literally no two ways about it.

The house in the video is a great step along that path. If the designers wanted it to be even more proofed against the elements, they would have gotten rid of all the geometry at the front of the house, removed the balcony, staircase, and all that pretty stuff, and made the thing just as smooth and round as possible, with armour grade glass in the windows and all. They also would have chosen to use ferrocrete (that is concrete with hot iron filings mixed into it, for added strength) in the construction.

This would mean that strong winds would be forced around the building, owing to its shape, and debris would skitter off the surface of the building, rather than lodging itself in the building or penetrating its skin fully in the least. These things ARE possible. If we can build submarines and spaceships, planes and boats, then we CAN build disaster proof homes, and if we can, we should. In these disaster prone locations, we must.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

This is true but a tough situation. Tornado alley is also great agriculture land, and the coast is full of shipping and refining. Those working need housing , shopping, auto mechanics etc...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

They can build a house and already do. Its called a monolithic dome but they are too weird looking for most. They also cosy less and have huge energy efficiency.

This one took an f4.
edit on 1-9-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You live on an actual incline, and you flood?

REALLY?

What the hell stupid physics does your water work on? I am not talking about houses on unnaturally flattened land, I am talking about houses which are on a literal slope, not on the side of a road that goes up a mountain, or built on a flattened space, but literally houses built to match the incline they are on.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You'd just have to make it of concrete and or steel, elevated for floods, earth-bermed(2-3 sides covered by earth) or sheltered(one side exposed/underground) for tornadoes. Monolithic dome homes are super cheap to build, withstand/resist almost any disaster if placed right and you can put almost any facade on them you want. Same with earth-bermed/sheltered, the visible part can look like a standard home.

Here ya go, some other ideas for sustainable, long lasting, minimal upkeep, disaster resistant homes.

Not right for coastal look but these "log" homes are made of concrete and steel to withstand fire and all sorts of things, I imagine you could make a concrete facade for about any style. All you need is the right molds for forming it.

Concrete Log Homes

Also google ICF homes, they are cheapish to build, easy and super fast to erect the shell (look on youtube for ICF). The entire shell can be built in less than a week depending on size of the house and how many stories it is. Also, you'd never believe they are concrete, they look just like any traditional home you've ever seen.

Hurricane ideas

Hurricane resistant

This house has stood through 4 hurricanes including Katrina, Dennis and Ivan and from what I remember is on or really close to the beach.

Make this out of concrete and steel for flood prone areas.

Tornado resistant

Last home standing a monolithic dome

If those is too expensive for tornado alley at least it should be mandatory for all homes to have one of these or something like it for every home, they can be bought for under 5k depending on size.

And absolutely mobile homes should never be allowed in tornado/hurricane alley. I live in Cali about 9 miles from the San Andreas and can't place a home that isn't engineered for earthquakes. Why are these areas any different? That has always confused me too when I see such devastation. Yet another example of selective culling by the govt?

My dream home is something similar to one of those depending where we moved to. We have fires here too so the concrete & steel homes are my ideal. If you look them up there are styles that you would NEVER believe are concrete.

ETA Gah I got beaten to the punch again lol!
edit on 9/1/2017 by Lilroanie because: too slow

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join