It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

Hurricanes have always diminised in strength, quite rapidly, after landfall. It is what we expect. Its what they do. As "independent meteorologists or weather watchers" well know. Which is why they dont go all woo-woo when what is expected to happen, happens.
edit on 5-9-2017 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi
I agree with you one hundred percent. It is silly for people that are in evacuation zones to stay put, because it puts them and the rescue workers in danger. It also pulls emergency staff away from areas where they may be needed. Areas where there were no evacuation orders in place.

The weather trackers are pretty good about where the storm is likely to do the most damage. Because of the fickleness of hurricanes. They are very generous in their mapping, and very wide in their projections. This has caused them some bad press in the past, because they always err on the side of caution. I am grateful that they do.

I always encourage people to leave an area if it looks like the area is likely to sustain serious damage. Staying does you no good. You can't hold the walls together. I will not stay in an area if it looks like it is dangerous to do so. I have an elderly mother and an elderly cat, that mean more to me than anything. I will not put them at risk. I have too many places that I can go, that makes a taking a necessary risk ridiculously stupid.

edit on 5-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
My best friend lives in Nokomis (that's a ways south of Tampa, between Sarasota & Venice) and doesn't plan on evacuating even if a mandatory evac is called. Not. Bright. Instead of pleading, I opted not to argue and just said "Ok, ok, fine, but if the high winds come your way, it's your & your kids' funerals, soldier." Hopefully, she's reconsidering, but if not, it's just stupid to stick out something 3+.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Two months for power restoration must be tough!
That's great you guys all help each other out.

I thought I had it bad being in the rural area. I'm last on the list as well.

I think the longest we went was two weeks during a very intense arctic storm. No heat. I just threw every blanket I had on the livingroom floor and we huddled together for body heat. It was minus 70 wind chills and the wind was hurricane force arctic outflow winds. Howling non stop. It lasted two weeks. The trees were blown sideways and stayed bent like that after it was over. There was a solid inch thick block of ice on the inside of the Windows . Couldn't see out of them. It was brutal. Thry said it came from Siberia.

So yeah, after you've been through a few storms you learn what things you forgot to do last time.

I can't imagine being in a hurricane though. I get scared of my trees when the wind picks up. I have 70 ft cedars that have come down. I'm surrounded by big trees. Our roads are full of branches after the storms. Slower for them to get the power on if it's too cold.

Hope you all make it out of this thing ok

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
My best friend lives in Nokomis (that's a ways south of Tampa, between Sarasota & Venice) and doesn't plan on evacuating even if a mandatory evac is called. Not. Bright. Instead of pleading, I opted not to argue and just said "Ok, ok, fine, but if the high winds come your way, it's your & your kids' funerals, soldier." Hopefully, she's reconsidering, but if not, it's just stupid to stick out something 3+.

Not a good idea
In a few more days evacuating will be mass chaos on the roads. Getting gas and all that stuff needs to be done now!

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
a reply to: Dutchowl

Hurricanes have always diminised in strength, quite rapidly, after landfall. It is what we expect. Its what they do. As "independent meteorologists or weather watchers" well know. Which is why they dont go all woo-woo when what is expected to happen, happens.

Quite true but I heard one weather guy saying passing over the Everglades can feed it to strengthen.

Florida is definitely in its path now, still uncertain which parts of Florida though

I'll get the next update posted. Should be in now

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Updates:

5:00 PM AST Tue Sep 5
Moving: W at 15 mph
Min pressure: 926 mb
Max sustained: 185 mph

NHC

RE: Florida
The chance of direct impacts from Irma beginning later this week
and this weekend from wind, storm surge, and rainfall continues to
increase in the Florida Keys and portions of the Florida Peninsula.
However, it is too soon to specify the timing and magnitude of these
impacts.

edit on 5-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Breaking a few record
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Another depression in the Gulf now

...DEPRESSION FORMS IN THE SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO... ...EXPECTED TO MOVE LITTLE OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS...

Tropical Depression Thirteen

4:00 PM CDT Tue Sep 5
Moving: E at 2 mph
Min pressure: 1008 mb
Max sustained: 35 mph

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: violet
Being without power isn't that bad. I am blessed to have a screened in front and back porch, so we get a nice cross breeze, that makes sleeping comfortable even when it is warm outside. I have a propane stove, and bathing in tepid water feels good when there is no a/c.

My brother lives about a mile away, he has a whole house generator, so I don't have to rough it any more than I want to. Internet is iffy to downright unavailable before the power goes out, so it is something else I am used to doing without.

There isn't much that you can't do without power. We have just become accustomed to having it. I grew up with gas lamps and an outhouse. Even without power it is much easier than it was then.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

We've been spoilt with electricity.
For the most part I've learnt to deal with it. It's just worse when it's cold.
The internet being out bugs me for the first few hours, then I get used to it and it's not like we had that when we were kids. We can adapt easier than we think.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The following is speculation based on current projections.

Irma looks like it's going to scrape along the northern coasts of Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Cuba, and as it does so, it looks to reduce to a cat 4, which will be when it hits south Florida. However, I cannot see anything influencing it to turn sharply northwards once it passes Florida, and I think it will enter into the Gulf of Mexico, where it will again regain strength, because there is a lot of heat in the Gulf coming up from the south in a clock-wise direction. Irma will probably feed on this heat and stay its own course and make landfall anywhere from Houston to New Orleans probably as a cat 4 or 5 around Wednesday or Thursday next week.

If it turns sharply north up the east coast of Florida, the worse side of Irma will always be facing out to the sea, which will be a small blessing, but it will eventually make landfall, and towns and cities West of Florida will feel the stronger force of the western side of the hurricane. So the coastline of America between New Orleans and Florida can expect to experience some pretty destructive weather.

It might be prudent to plan your own voluntary evacuation once it is determined for sure the direction Irma will take as it hits south Florida?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
In Daytona. We can't really go anywhere, so we are just battening down the hatches. People are going bananas today. Gas out everywhere. Water out everywhere.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: KnoxMSP
Stay safe

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP
In Daytona. We can't really go anywhere, so we are just battening down the hatches. People are going bananas today. Gas out everywhere. Water out everywhere.

Not unexpected. After all the Houston coverage and the length of time since the last big storm hit. It's been awhile since Wilma and that will make everyone shaky.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A 16 year old aspiring pro surfer died in Barbados surfing Irma's swell.

www.easternsurf.com...

Aspiring pro surfer Zander Venezia of Bridgetown, Barbados, passed away today after suffering a tragic neck injury surfing big waves at Box by Box, an infamous spot on the east side of the island.

edit on 5-9-2017 by jrod because: Add

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
A 16 year old aspiring pro surfer died in Barbados surfing Irma's swell.

www.easternsurf.com...

Aspiring pro surfer Zander Venezia of Bridgetown, Barbados, passed away today after suffering a tragic neck injury surfing big waves at Box by Box, an infamous spot on the east side of the island.

How sad. I guess surfers are tempted to ride those big waves.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
oh S%$^^&

Hurricane Irma strengthens to Category 5 as 2nd storm forms behind it

Well Floriduh, apparently you have sinned against the great lord.

I am getting a funny feeling about these storms... any airplane activity near them??
edit on 5-9-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
oh S%$^^&

Hurricane Irma strengthens to Category 5 as 2nd storm forms behind it

Well Floriduh, apparently you have sinned against the great lord.

I am getting a funny feeling about these storms... any airplane activity near them??

Why are you getting a funny feeling that locations which commonly get hit by hurricanes are getting hit by hurricanes in hurricane season?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Oh please.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join