It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Florida's Governor has already declared a state of emergency

A little premature but Florida will be affected some way or another

"Hurricane Irma poses a severe threat to the entire State of Florida, and requires that timely precautions are taken to protect the communities, critical infrastructure, and general welfare of this State," the order states.

Source
edit on 4-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

A photo would be nice , I hope you don't get hit hard there. Maybe you'll just get some rain, and a less destructive wind.

Just caught the weather guy saying it's Friday when they are waiting to see when it makes its turn north. Will it turn north into the gulf or on the east coast of Florida is uncertain. It may just skirt Florida then go north east out of your way. Fingers crossed 🤞

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
From Acu weather

“This hurricane has the potential to be a major event for the East Coast. It also has the potential to significantly strain FEMA and other governmental resources occurring so quickly on the heels of Harvey,” Evan Myers, expert senior meteorologist and chief operating officer, said.
A landfall in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas is all in the realm of possibilities. Irma could also head into the Gulf of Mexico.
On Monday afternoon, Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency for every county in Florida in anticipation of Irma. A state of emergency was also declared in Puerto Rico earlier in the day.
Another scenario still on the table is that Irma curve northward and miss the East Coast entirely. This would still generate large surf and rip currents along the East Coast. However, this scenario is the least likely to occur at this point.

edit on 4-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Figure 6. The 0Z September 2, 2017, track forecast by the operational European model for Irma (red line, adjusted by CFAN using a proprietary technique that accounts for storm movement since 0Z), along with the track of the average of the 50 members of the European model ensemble (heavy black line), and the track forecasts from the “high probability cluster” (grey lines)—the four European model ensemble members that have performed best with Irma thus far. Image credit: CFAN.

The latest from the wunderground blog Category 6.

It's looking like without a hail mary that the east coast will be spared this time? The last thing anyone needs is for this to wander off over into the Gulf. Altho I'm inland by like 600 miles Ivan screwed us pretty hard. But any major storm that romps up the eastern seaboard has the potential to nail us from the backside.

Ivan shut us down for a week with the rain & flooding. Obviously I'm still a little twitchy.
www.wunderground.com...
edit on 4-9-2017 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Nyiah
Anna Maria is wonderful too! The closest place to ride horses on the beach! Theres another one further north, but its farther and the water is not as nice. I have been to every beach and almost every island from Ancolote Key and Howard Park Beach in Tarpon Springs down to Ledo Beach down by Sarasota and Bradenton. Tarpon springs is the best beach to go snorkeling. If you want to do kite surfing/wind surfing, your best bet Is Ft. DeSoto park, and Honeymoon is a close second. Im so done with Clearwater. It was my parents go to beach when we were younger. But now everytime I go it is waaaay too overcrowded. St Pete is still nice. Treasure Island, Indian Rocks, Madeira, Indian Shores, Holmes Beach, Bradenton Beach are also wonderful regular beaches that aare not neaarly as crowded as Clearwater. Well St. Pete sometimes.

I grew up between the Venice area & Tampa Bay & a ways inland, the best beach, IMO, was always Manasota. We didn't get down there very often when we moved up to Tampa, but throughout my life, I think I accumulated more "swim hours" at Manasota than any other beach. Great place to go for shelling & shark toothing, too. Just don't swim on the intercoastal side, my sister-in-law literally tripped over a gator in the water once, lol.
Turtle Beach on Siesta was fantastic, until they revamped it & cut down all the big old trees & ruined the lagoon. After that, Point of Rocks was (still is) pretty picturesque, it's an excellent spot for snorkeling. Then Lido Beach (GREAT spot for the boat race) Caspersen is also a great beach for snorkeling (mind the sharks, they've always liked it, too) However, there was an uptick in people hooking up in the woods for years, be wary of people being gross horny toads if the crackdown wasn't effective.
Up around Tampa & St Pete, I personally think Pass-A-Grille is one of the best beaches that hasn't gone total tourist trap sell-out yet. I mean, it's getting there, but it's going at a slower pace than Clearwater or St Pete did.
Ben T Davis is a good beach, but it never really resonated with me for some reason. It's quiet and laid back for the most part, but I just never got a feel for it. I liked Indian Rocks Beach a lot, it's got foot traffic, but in the off-season, it's pretty damn relaxing out there.

My dad's parents lived in Cape Haze, we used to take grandpa's boat out to Don Pedro, drop anchor and swim. I have no idea if it was a named beach or just one of the unpopulated stretches at the time, we never went to Don Pedro Island by car, only boat. It was a beautiful beach, though. Something you'd see for Caribbean vacation sales material, lol. For beachgoers, Gasparilla to the south is probably a better option, I think most of the shoreline on Don Pedro is private beaches now.

My next destination I want to visit is Sanabel Island down in the Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area. They have some of the best shelling in the country! As well I want to visit their shell museum, which is the only one in the world dedicated entirely to the study and research of seashells.

I haven't been to too many places south of Charlotte Harbor, but if you're going to Sanibel, make it an extended trip & go to a little further south to Tigertail Beach on Marco Island! I swear to god, it's the best-kept secret in SW FL! Between the lagoon and the beach, you'll swear you're on some little Caribbean hideaway.

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
11pm AST update:
11:00 PM AST Mon Sep 4
Moving: W at 13 mph
Min pressure: 943 mb
Max sustained: 140 mph

Still to early to tell if it will make landfall on the US coastline.

Closing in on the Leeward Islands now. They must be feeling the outer winds

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Irma

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ensemble Models

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

It seems technologies within the current timeloops should be able to place something safe to the environment (maybe acoustic- sonic) or something else within the eye of hurricane and disrupt the eye so much that the storm is innterupted over seas.
It would weaken the hurricane cloud formation-patterns.
Then the clouds would loose the strength to hold water and drop water fall? over ocean area.
Possibly leaving mild tropical storm afterwards.

I could be reading time loop data incorrectly.
At first I visualized sonic booms from jets but there may be something better.
Climate scientists would be utilized to run immediate test to make sure larger storm does not form...

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
a reply to: violet

It seems technologies within the current timeloops should be able to place something safe to the environment (maybe acoustic- sonic) or something else within the eye of hurricane and disrupt the eye so much that the storm is innterupted over seas.
It would weaken the hurricane cloud formation-patterns.
Then the clouds would loose the strength to hold water and drop water fall? over ocean area.
Possibly leaving mild tropical storm afterwards.

I could be reading time loop data incorrectly.
At first I visualized sonic booms from jets but there may be something better.
Climate scientists would be utilized to run immediate test to make sure larger storm does not form...

www.aoml.noaa.gov...

Hurricanes, depending on how you measure them, can produce more power than half of the worlds electricity!

I'm not sure what kind of device would generate enough power to overcome it.

Maybe a nuke?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter
Something better then a nuke. Did consider also but I think something combined will be better, cleaner and safer.
Logical idea for energy

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

It could be electrical.
There is a large amount of electrical energy associated with hurricane.
Maybe ground it somehow.
I know seems out of box. Not impossible.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

It could be electrical.
There is a large amount of electrical energy associated with hurricane.
Maybe ground it somehow.
I know seems out of box. Not impossible.

It sounds like a perfectly good future tech! Save cities with some kind of mass-grounding rod or orb shot into the center!

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

If controlled nano technologies exist.
Release nanos into storm.
Build up momentum with existing hurricane power.
Then reverse and direct.
Nano mass builds up more controlling hurricane and siphoning power...
Again I know some feel my thinking is way outta box at times but it seems this technology or something close should exist by now.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
As bad as they are hurricanes hit for a reason. Its all part of the environment and an important role to boot. Without hurricanes intervening Im thinking some areas would be overgrown and invasive species plant and animal would not be kept in check. So I dont think stopping them would be in our best interest. Best we change building codes even more and not allow rebuilding in certain areas. The coastlines are the buffer zones, bad idea to build there.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel

As bad as they are hurricanes hit for a reason.

actually your right but the reason is wrong, the main thing they do is help regulate the earths temperature. second, they can and do devastate some areas ecosystems that takes years in some cases to recover.

There are many suggestions for the mitigation of tropical cyclones such as "seeding" storms with chemicals to decrease their intensity, dropping water absorbing material into the storm to soak-up some of the moisture. Some even suggest using nuclear weapons to disrupt their circulation thereby decreasing their intensity.

While well meaning, the ones making the suggestions vastly underestimate the amount of energy generated and released by tropical cyclones.

Even if we could disrupt these storms, it would not be advisable. Since tropical cyclones help regulate the earth's temperature, any decrease in tropical cyclone intensity would mean the oceans retain more heat.
Tropical Cyclone Introduction

i suppose that your reason is a possibility, but it seems to me that if a invasive species plant or animal adapted to one new environment, they could adapt after a hurricane, in fact it might even make things more favorable for them.
edit on 5-9-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
According to the Weather Channel,
Irma is now a category 5.
Sustained winds of 175 mph & could even intensify over warmer water.

Looks like the most likely path will be up the spine of Florida.

WOQ

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Still too early to know where and what impact Florida will have. However it is looking more likely Florida will get the full impact.

With the track being further south, the mountains of Hispanola and Cuba could weaken it.

As I wrote before, my friends in the Florida Keys are preparing to evacuate. I am surprised there is not already an evac order for tourists/hotels. With there being only 1 road out that is prone to accidents, they have to start the evacuations much earlier.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
meanwhile on the other side of the country...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I thought they said the eye of the hurricane is/will be, 80 miles wide. And that the tip of Florida is only 100 miles wide. So everyone will be impacted. Was hoping they would say it again. The hurricane itself is wider than the state, so if it tracks the way they think now, everybody will get something.

Saying it will start to impact the southern most part of Florida by Friday. But you shouldn't think that you can wait to put your plywood up until then, because the early, outer bands will be strong enough to make that almost impossible to do! Hopefully, it weakens a lot before Friday!

The update now has it at 180 mph.

WOQ

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join