It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 55
<< 52  53  54    56 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Still no power and no land-line. I am not complaining. I knew this was going to happen. One of the privileges of being a woodlander.

I gave my generator to my sister years ago. My brother lives less than a mile from me and he has a whole house generator so I see no need for it.

Yesterday we finally got a breeze. Now I get the cooling effect from when the wind blows through the house, from the front porch to the back.

Still pretty warm inside the house at night, but it is bearable.

The app says by late Sunday and the FPL two claims it will be on before Monday noon, but I still think they are just saying something to keep folk off their back.

edit on 16-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Mobile madness.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
They said here in Tampa that by Sunday everyone should be back 100%, and I got mine Wednesday. I noticed yesterday that some neighborhoods are still being serviced. I think you will get your stuff back soon. On another note, anybody that happens to be a SNAP recipient can file a claim with department of agriculture for the lost and spoiled food.

USDA Eases Program Rules to Aid Florida, Other Irma-Stricken Areas
USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) recently approved a temporary waiver and supported other actions that will help households participating in the USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in Florida, Georgia and the Virgin Islands and the Nutrition Assistance Program in Puerto Rico access food in the wake of Hurricane Irma, including:

Allowing SNAP participants in Florida to buy hot foods and hot ready-to-eat foods with their benefits through Sept. 30.
Supporting Florida’s plan to issue all September SNAP benefits on Sept. 7 and Georgia’s plan to issue all remaining benefits for September on Sept. 10; both actions will ensure families have access to their monthly benefits sooner during this time of immediate crisis.
Supporting Puerto Rico’s action to issue all September Nutrition Assistance Program benefits on Sept. 5, before the storm.

FNS is working closely with the affected states and territories to be ready, if appropriate, to make use of the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) to offer continuing food assistance after commercial channels of food distribution have been restored and families are able to prepare food at home. D-SNAP can be a critical tool in the recovery process, but it is not the first step, Perdue said, noting that FNS offers states a range of assistance from rescue to recovery.

That probably does not apply to many here, but get the word out if you do know somebody. Also visit www.disasterassistance.gov... to see if you qualify for other assistance.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
They are starting to let people back into Key West.

Still al lot of people without power. I remember(2004 season) how miserable it feels with no AC, no fans, it is like the house traps the heat of the day and of course add the Florida humidity. I saw a picture of a guy who brough his bed out to his carport to deal with it.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Atlantic storm T15 now expected to become Tropical Storm Maria. The track west has areas already devastated by Irma in the projected path. Good to keep an eye on this storm. And Jose.
Jeff Piotrowski reports
edit on 16-9-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Glad to hear you're managing with it.

My power company always says restored times as later than it ends up being, which is always a nice surprise. I wonder if they do that to stop people calling. Hopefully that's the case for you as well, but I imagine you know how your area works by now. If you're on the same grid as a hospital it seems you're in luck. I'm not, so last on the list like you. We can deal with it though. That's when I stop and think it was always this way before we were born and they managed just fine. Nice to be updated though, but that's what battery operated radios are for.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves
There's TS Lee, TS Maria and hurricane Jose in the Atlantic . Maria has become a tropical storm now and the potential to take the same track and very likely to become a hurricane. Not good

edit on 16-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

re: Maria

KEY MESSAGES:

1. Maria is expected to strengthen and affect portions of the
Leeward Islands as a hurricane early next week, bringing dangerous
wind, storm surge and rainfall hazards. Hurricane and tropical
storm watches have been issued for portions of the Lesser Antilles,
and additional watches will likely be issued tonight and Sunday.

2. Maria could also affect the British and U.S. Virgin Islands and
Puerto Rico by mid week as a dangerous major hurricane, and
hurricane watches could be issued for these islands as early as
Sunday. Interests in these areas should monitor the progress of
Maria and follow any advice given by local officials.

NHC

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Hell to the no, just got power back 1 hour ago

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Good for you!

I am still waiting. I know it won't happen tonight and since I haven't seen any trucks in the area, I doubt if it will happen tomorrow even. Maybe by Friday.

I am cool with it, as long as the breeze keeps up, which was great all day, and then died when the sun went down.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I hope the new storms don't need dedicated threads.....but someone has started one for TS Maria.....I only hope it doesn't turn into a mega event like Irma.....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Sun Sep 17 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I hope the new storms don't need dedicated threads.....but someone has started one for TS Maria.....I only hope it doesn't turn into a mega event like Irma.....

Will have to keep an eye on it
Two threads www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

The one you linked is from 2011. I guess everyone thinks it's new

edit on Sun Sep 17 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed my link in quote

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Thanks....corrections have been made.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
hurricane IRMA... while hundreds of miles inland,

the rest of double post is below....thanks for patience
edit on th30150566041617002017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
hurricane IRMA... while hundreds of miles inland, did send outer bands of windstorms to my hometown...
there was a tall thin Pine Tree which got dead because of last Octobers' hurricane Matthew, it was erect but devoid of pine needles & within 2 feet of my power line

the new, temporary Avatar photo of the house shows a tree topping laying on my roof because of the winds on 9-11-17

btw, I lost several live oaks, 1/2 of a maple, 3 leaning pines....all because of Matthew but not enough damage to receive assistance from FEMA...the undiscovered till later damages was a waste line clog & a bent electric service pipe down to the electric meter & into the breaker-box

lost in the shuffle items which will eventually be tallied up as damage by IRMA in 2017 no doubt

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Lost power last Sunday at 6:30am. Still no power.

Guess with Maria headed this way I better get used to it.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I hope and pray far less than the worst will happen.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I just heard the most beautiful sound I could possibly hear today.

The sound of the whole house generator shutting down because the power came on.

Jumped in the car and raced to my house to be greeted with the outdoor lights beaming.

Rushed in the house and turned on the a/c. It is working. Flushed all the commodes they are working.

THE POWER IS BACK ON!

Now I just hope it stays that way for a while.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Awe I'm so happy for you!
Enjoy the luxuries of power

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Wrong thread, sorry

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42
There's a thread about Maria Here

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The Key West "Blue Paper" has a good storm summary. Keep in mind that some areas were hit much harder than 'Cayo Hueso'...aka Key West.

thebluepaper.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 52  53  54    56 >>

join