It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irma strengthening in the Atlantic

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

The 'king' Euro is about to come out with a new run. We will see.

The Euro and GFS are generally the best 2 models(though the GFS has struggled this year). However they are converging on a landfall in south Florida and then riding up the coast.

That said 72 hour+ forecasts are prone to large errors.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Update:

8:00 AM AST Thu Sep 7
Moving: WNW at 17 mph
Min pressure: 921 mb
Max sustained: 180 mph
Irma remains a category 5 hurricane

It's still unclear where it will make its north turn
About 72 hrs away from a category 4 south Florida landfall.
Much can change with the current forecast, it needs to interact with Cuba still

edit on 7-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I just heard that the President's Mar a Largo retreat is in the direct path of IRMA.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Hope he's safe, he's known for vacation at any cost.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I just heard that the President's Mar a Largo retreat is in the direct path of IRMA.

Awesome news!

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: MysticPearl
Apparently every building on Barbuda was knocked down and everyone's now homeless.

The Accuweather expert said today at 4pm that he was worried sick about Barbuda, because all of the island's monitoring instruments went offline after midnight last night. And no communications were coming out of the island..even 14 hours after Irma had passed.

According to this article on Zerohedge, the prime minister of Antigua & Barbuda says that 90+% of all dwellings on Barbuda have been destroyed, and 100% of the communications infrastructure. The island has a population of about 1800.

I hope they are attached to a larger country. A lot of resources will be needed.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet

Awesome news!

Especially if all assets are fully insured to the hilt. As a famous person said, Never Let a Good Tragedy Go to Waste.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I knew it , Clinton was involved.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

11am just came out:
11:00 AM AST Thu Sep 7
Moving: WNW at 16 mph
Max sustained: 175 mph

Hurricane watch now issued for S. Florida, the Keys, and Lake Okeechobee

edit on 7-9-2017 by jrod because: Typo gnomes

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Just curious, why do they include Lake Okeechobee?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

The 'spagetti' model graphic can be very misleading because it gives all models equal rate when some perform far better than others.

In my opinion the TV mets should not air them, especially at a time like this because some of the unrealiable models show her missing, while the big ones show a landfall. It gives the layman a false since of security because right now if you averaged out the spagetti models it would show a miss.

The Euro shows a direct hit to Florida, so does Joe Bastardi, and most important so does the National Hurricane Center.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan
Possibly because it is a lake that can flood.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: violet

11am just came out:
11:00 AM AST Thu Sep 7
Moving: WNW at 16 mph
Max sustained: 175 mph

Hurricane watch now issued for S. Florida, the Keys, and Lake Okeechobee

Looks like they're predicting a direct hit on Miami.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

One of the worst storms in history caused the lake to literally displace itself and caused catastrophic flooding. It could happen agsin. Also being a large lake, winds are stronger on open water than on land due to friction, the lake will have higher winds than the surrounding land.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: MysticPearl
Apparently every building on Barbuda was knocked down and everyone's now homeless.

The Accuweather expert said today at 4pm that he was worried sick about Barbuda, because all of the island's monitoring instruments went offline after midnight last night. And no communications were coming out of the island..even 14 hours after Irma had passed.

According to this article on Zerohedge, the prime minister of Antigua & Barbuda says that 90+% of all dwellings on Barbuda have been destroyed, and 100% of the communications infrastructure. The island has a population of about 1800.

I hope they are attached to a larger country. A lot of resources will be needed.

Antigua has a population around 80,000, and it seems like they fared much better than Barbuda did. But for sure, it looks like Barbuda is basically going to need to be rebuilt from scratch.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hurricane Watch now issued for Florida. Will be upgraded to a Warning as it gets closer

A HURRICANE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THE FLORIDA PENINSULA FROM
JUPITER INLET SOUTHWARD AND AROUND THE PENINSULA TO BONITA BEACH...
INCLUDING THE FLORIDA KEYS...LAKE OKEECHOBEE AND FLORIDA BAY.
edit on 7-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I live in SC. Yesterday someone said all the bottled water and gas was sold out. I have old bleach bottles cleaned and filled with water in my garage year around. Because we are on a well. If the electricity goes off for a week, it's what a person would need. All these bottles of water people buy, would not be enough for tooth brushing, hand washing, and cooking. The trace amounts of bleach are supposed to keep the water from getting bacteria. So don't throw out your used bleach bottles. Recycle them as your emergency supply of water. Gas we keep in gas cans all year for lawn mowing. Chain saws do not require a lot of gas. Prayers for everybody.

Hurricane Fran in 1997 was a catagory 3 which struck Richmond Virginia. Richmond is 60+ miles from the beach. This hurricane left our yard filled with branches and twigs, a dozen trees fell over towards the house (nothing hit the house), the front of the house was covered in black grime. The well collapsed in on the well pump, the electricity was off for five days. So all the food rotted, the ice maker dripped melted water every where. We were in Indiana at the time and had a huge mess to deal with when we got back. I had unplugged all the electronics before we left on a business trip. So there was no lightening damage. I was glad I was not there when that happened. I would have been alone with a baby while my husband was gone.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The RFA Mounts Bay is approaching Anquilla to provide support.

Navy sent in as Hurricane Irma leaves terrifying trail of devastation

Navy ship RFA Mounts Bay, with 40 marines on board, was sent to one of the worst-hit areas after ministers said the region needs “extensive humanitarian assistance”. The Government’s emergency Cobra committee is meeting to co-ordinate the response.

The island of Barbuda is said to be “barely habitable”. Officials say the French and Dutch island territories of St Martin/Sint Maarten have been devastated and the death toll is likely to rise. There has been no word from many islanders and tourists since the storm cut communications yesterday.

The area hit by the storm includes a number of British overseas territories, among them the British Virgin Islands and Anguilla.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: frugal
I live in SC. Yesterday someone said all the bottled water and gas was sold out. I have old bleach bottles cleaned and filled with water in my garage year around. Because we are on a well. If the electricity goes off for a week, it's what a person would need. All these bottles of water people buy, would not be enough for tooth brushing, hand washing, and cooking. The trace amounts of bleach are supposed to keep the water from getting bacteria. So don't throw out your used bleach bottles. Recycle them as your emergency supply of water. Gas we keep in gas cans all year for lawn mowing. Chain saws do not require a lot of gas. Prayers for everybody.

Hurricane Fran in 1997 was a catagory 3 which struck Richmond Virginia. Richmond is 60+ miles from the beach. This hurricane left our yard filled with branches and twigs, a dozen trees fell over towards the house (nothing hit the house), the front of the house was covered in black grime. The well collapsed in on the well pump, the electricity was off for five days. So all the food rotted, the ice maker dripped melted water every where. We were in Indiana at the time and had a huge mess to deal with when we got back. I had unplugged all the electronics before we left on a business trip. So there was no lightening damage. I was glad I was not there when that happened. I would have been alone with a baby while my husband was gone.

Great tip on the old bleach bottles. There's a recipe someplace on how many drops of bleach ratio to water for drinking purposes. Good idea to know how much (for safety, if being ingested by children for example).

So I'd add, a little bottle of pure bleach should be put in an emergency kit for purifying water when it's not fit to be drank.

As a general rule I'm always boiling water and storing it when our water gets turbid from heavy rains. Just the way my reservoir is. I've gotten very sick from it in the past that I'm practically boiling it in advance now when we get the torrential downpours.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join