It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discarded Banana Peel Causes Racial Hysteria at Ole Miss

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
a reply to: IAMTAT

How are these students going to survive in the real world if they are driven to tears over something like this?

They will tear down all monuments from the past and seek to silence all those they disagree with.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The college better do something or risk riots.

This is all kicking the can down the road-very popular these days. Sooner or later the adnim is going to have to say no. So riots and protests are going to happen anyway.

Yes they should, namely; sit down with all the upset students and tell them:
"it's a G-D banana peel! If you think you can turn every single event in to a racial incident we'd prefer you find another college to attend". You can either sign this form stating you will desist or we'll happily refund your remaining tuition".

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Eureka ......
Epiphany.....
Besides Texas, it's been a Slow News Week....... and there you have it....

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

this made me laugh out loud......thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

OMG1 I'm going to complain to the staff and log off. That picture offended me deeply.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I think we've just invented a new way to have food fights ...

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

What's the problem with that banana? Does it give some people flashbacks to life in Africa and being chased by chimpanzees or something? How ridiculous!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
keep it up and people might decide to ramp up talk over black drug dealers and gangs and the damage they are doing to cities.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: theantediluvian

So because the context is there for them to misunderstand, it makes it OK for them to just go off on someone absent of any other proof, especially given the current national atmosphere surrounding this?

Why must everything have two sides with one side being "right" and the other side being "wrong?" Is that the only way to consider interactions between people?

How about both the banana peel kid and those who were set off by the banana peel are simply average kids, not intending any harm, who behaved in different ways because of their different experiences?

He put the banana peel in the tree, not giving any thought to how that might be perceived. They perceived the banana peel in the tree through the lens of their own experiences.

Was he wrong to put the banana peel in the tree because of how it may be perceived — how could he be if he was unaware? Are the students wrong for jumping to conclusions? Their conclusions might have been wrong but they weren't necessarily being irrational given their experiences.

If it weren't for incidents like those that have been mentioned, maybe a banana peel would always just seem like a banana peel to everyone?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

indeed... either way this social division is coming from somewhere and it is accelerating recently and private universities seem too influential in all this, not only that but the same bs excuse of being private property keeps being used to abuse the rights of people, and many on both sides think it's ok and keep excusing it, justifying it and not thinking of possible future consequences.

private interests in universities and elsewhere are a threat to america and something needs done to limit it more

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I don't even know why I'm bothering. This is a thread for right-wingers to dismiss the existence of racism while one of their peers says some racist bull# and they're all either in agreement or too lacking in character to call him out for it.

Ole Miss has a long history of racist incidents which shouldn't be all that surprising, considering it's in Mississippi. Here's a frat boy pleading guilty last year to hanging a noose around a statue of James Meredith, the first black student at Ole Miss who went on to be a USAF veteran and prominent figure in the Civil Rights movement.

Former Ole Miss student pleads guilty to hanging noose around statue honoring the first black student

BRO?! Why are they so sensitive BRO?! They're just going to "remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back" anyway? Amirite bros?

you're comparing a noose to a banana peel.....

gtfo

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hope no one tosses fried chicken on the ground after eating some KFC, entire campus might shut down.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jiggly

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I don't even know why I'm bothering. This is a thread for right-wingers to dismiss the existence of racism while one of their peers says some racist bull# and they're all either in agreement or too lacking in character to call him out for it.

Ole Miss has a long history of racist incidents which shouldn't be all that surprising, considering it's in Mississippi. Here's a frat boy pleading guilty last year to hanging a noose around a statue of James Meredith, the first black student at Ole Miss who went on to be a USAF veteran and prominent figure in the Civil Rights movement.

Former Ole Miss student pleads guilty to hanging noose around statue honoring the first black student

BRO?! Why are they so sensitive BRO?! They're just going to "remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back" anyway? Amirite bros?

you're comparing a noose to a banana peel.....

gtfo

And stereotyping white people at the same time, bro. Amirite, bro?

Honestly, do these people not see the hypocrisy?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

What a bunch of nonsense.

Entire story can be written off with "toughen up, cupcake".

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

OMG1 I'm going to complain to the staff and log off. That picture offended me deeply.

You must be "crackers" posting that Intrepid, that picture did not a "peel" to me!

Warmest

Lags

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Now a banana peel is all it takes to cause a psychotic reaction!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Here I thought it was going to be along the lines of "Strange Fruit" (Billy Holiday), but it's just a banana. A plain ol banana peel....so many people eat bananas...

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The most ironic part is that a white kid ate the banana, which is supposed to be something blacks like instead, and he's the racist one. LOL

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I don't know. You tell me why it can't be something innocent.

At what step in the chain does an innocent thing cease to become innocent?

If there are 15 kids in a class and one happens to be a POC, is that racist? Should it be? If that kid comes into the room last and is therefore forced to take the last chair, is that a racial incident? Should that kid feel bad about having to come into a room full of white kids and sit down?

According to some who study micro-aggression, this is indeed a problem and that poor POC is being abused.

The long and short of it is that our kids are being taught to view everything too much through a racial lens and to weigh out how everything could be a sleight because they happen to be this or that race.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

If you dislike private property so much, you should move to Venezuela. I hear they are moving right ahead with their scheduled communist takeover. Or there is also Cuba or maybe China. North Korea might be right up your alley too.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join