It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discarded Banana Peel Causes Racial Hysteria at Ole Miss

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't believe it. This cannot be the world we are now living in.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You better leave a whole wheel ofcrddar cheese with them.

More of a black label Smokey blue fan myself, but that would probably make me racist.....cheddar it is.

Stilton!
Disgusting-looking, but delicious!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: trollz

Tell me, do you go through life making such stereotypical generalizations about everyone, or just certain segments of society?

Those kids will, in all likelihood, go on to lead lives as productive, if not more so, as most of us--your own bad self, included.

You might want to layoff the overt generalizations, and stereotypes.

The trouble is, the majority of each race DOES fall into generalizations. Otherwise you wouldn't have TV shows targeting these folks, or food chains targeting these folks, or retailers targeting these folks.

If you can't take a generalization from a majority and capitalize on it then you lose all ability to have market research.

Do you think those in minority areas eat, wear or watch the same things as those in non minority areas? And sure there will be a small subsection that differs, but broad market generalizations are what the whole of marketing and capitalism are built on.

I can say, from my vast travel and work experience, that there is a definite difference in races and work ethic, whether it be because of their race or their culture matters not....but there is a difference. It may hurt to hear it, but it doesn't make it less true. Sometimes truth hurts the most and is the hardest thing to accept.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You better leave a whole wheel ofcrddar cheese with them.

More of a black label Smokey blue fan myself, but that would probably make me racist.....cheddar it is.

Stilton!
Disgusting-looking, but delicious!

I'm in! I'm bringing Marmite too....love that $hit!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
a reply to: IAMTAT

How are these students going to survive in the real world if they are driven to tears over something like this?

Easy. They're shaping the world to their liking. Every time one of these stupid incidents happens and someone gets fired and someone has to apologize and someone has to go to sensitivity training etc...

Pretty soon it's going to be us who can't survive in the faux world.

Coming to a stupid incident near you!

edit on 31-8-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Assuming your not black yourself, do black people want you making this fight yours? Seems a little bigoted, like they can't fight racism without your help or something. There's a difference between acknowledging and combating racism, and what you are doing.

Why do I need anyone's request or permission to call out bigotry by any group against any other group? Do I not live in this society?

It's odd that you have some specious admonishment for me but you can't bring yourself to call out a poster for a blatantly racist post. Do you need a black person to tell you that this is wrong and you should say so?

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

LOL. Todd Starnes. Gotta love him.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Can you imagine the shock and backlash if the banana peel was actually found at the top of a trash bin

So disrespectful and racially insensitive..

Remember folks, eat your banana peels too. Leave no evidence of your racist ideology in view.

Or go the full distance and shun bananas entirely as they are a monument to the racism of the past

No more peanut butter jelly time for you!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Can you imagine the shock and backlash if the banana peel was actually found at the top of a trash bin

So disrespectful and racially insensitive..

Todd Starnes would be all over it.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Wondering which is worse - making a big deal out of a banana peel, or making a big deal out of someone making a big deal about it.

Think about it.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: theantediluvian

Who is dismissing racism?

Of course it exists. My God, man, get a grip. Sometimes a banana peel in a tree is, well, litter. Unless you can read minds, now?

I never said that sometimes a banana peel in a tree isn't just a banana peel in a tree. What you're not allowing for is the possibility that sometimes a banana peel in a tree isn't just a banana peel in a tree.

But did you ever stop to think that context matters? It's easy to read the OP and think the students are just being absurd if you look at this as an isolated event.

When you look at the context of the campus and its history, including recent events like the noose hung from the statue by a frat boy — or the bananas hanging from a nooses in May at another school or the asshole who was dressed as a gorilla and taunting black students with bananas at yet *another* school last year — it's not hard to understand how something could be mistaken by a few people.

My point is that it becomes less irrational when you consider the context and furthermore, that mocking students for jumping to conclusions (assuming that's the case) is used intentionally to be dismissive of racism by reinforcing a notion that those who do complain about racism are more often than not "crying wolf.

And look at what it has drawn out in just the first page:

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

Why is it that people feel more comfortable lecturing me with "My God, man, get a grip" and similar nonsense but can't muster the character to call out the poster of the quote above?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
I'm aware of the incident, but I'm going to reserve judgment that this kid wasn't intending to be racist just because of a previous incident, unlike others in this thread.

You see, they climb up on their high horse with their "#NotAll________" and such, but conveniently forget what they preach when its time to swoop down from on high and rescue the minorities.

i don't know if the intention was racist or not, but the reaction to is not 'hysteria' the way this whole thread is slanted to say.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

No.

They saw a white kid do it. Ergo, it must have been some kind of dog whistle. So they created their own self-fulfilling prophecy out of a random act of littering.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Did I read both articles--Yes.
Did I post the ENTIRE article(s)?-- Nope. Mods frown upon that.
Did I rush to post?---Define rush...but, no, I did not rush.
Do I think this event is "dumb"?--Yes.

yes, keep dodging how you left out the most relevant part of the article, to strengthen your slant that it's baseless hysteria.

nice dance, do you give lessons?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Wondering which is worse - making a big deal out of a banana peel, or making a big deal out of someone making a big deal about it.

Think about it.

I wonder ... if I go out and put a banana peel on a random fence post somewhere and no one pays any attention to it, does matter what my intent with it was?

Thank about it ...

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: angeldoll

Think about it.

I wonder ... if I go out and put a banana peel on a random fence post somewhere and no one pays any attention to it, does matter what my intent with it was?

Thank about it ...

I think it might be prudent to grow up and learn to shrug stupid things off.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

random act of littering.

Not even! Banana peels are 100% biodegradable. It's not like he was dumping broken glass or chemicals.

We're going after people who toss orange peels and chuck peach seeds next? I better just stop eating fruit now.

I hope no one sees me dump cold coffee in the dirt

link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
i'm surprised how many of you have such deep trust that the OP is not slanting things that you're not even reading the original article, which includes a more clearly racist incident related to bananas.

i thought this was the place where people seek the truth, not follow each other around like bleating sheep when something tickles their 'that's the way i already think!' bone :p

Ok, that made me literally laugh out loud while I sit here at work... Would you people listen to yourselves? We're talking about a banana peel for f#cks sake. A BANANA PEEL.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Taking a wild guess. I can only assume they found the situation similar.

I get it that the two are unrelated. But they must of felt that it was.

I wasn't there so I don't know.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Assuming your not black yourself, do black people want you making this fight yours? Seems a little bigoted, like they can't fight racism without your help or something. There's a difference between acknowledging and combating racism, and what you are doing.

Why do I need anyone's request or permission to call out bigotry by any group against any other group? Do I not live in this society?

It's odd that you have some specious admonishment for me but you can't bring yourself to call out a poster for a blatantly racist post. Do you need a black person to tell you that this is wrong and you should say so?

Do you call out clothing lines that market to specific races? Remember FUBU....For Us By Us....if that was a white people line of clothing would it be Ok?

Locally, there is a Gus' Famous Fried Chicken that I love. Not a single white person works there and it's mostly black patrons inside....are they racist for catering to black tastes and not having a cheeseburger on the menu for the typical white male?

Race and gender are what almost every single retail business is based on, and All the big ones do market research for such, meaning there are research companies focused on it...are they racist?

Wal-Mart caters to mostly poor white trash as their largest markets line up with Fred's dollar store in poor white areas....racism?

What about the flashy suit and shoe stores in malls catering to blacks? Racist?

It's the same crap argument I've been having for years....how far back do we go? Are the Africans that were black that enslaved their own people and sold them racist, or is it just the whites who bought them? Are Muslims racist for being the largest slave traders on record in history?

Just wondering as you seem to get on these kicks, but I'd like to know the actual timeline of when I should start getting pissed from....is it only when whites started doing it when the US was formed or is it all of history?
edit on 8/31/17 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join