It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq War Veteran - ICE attempting to deport after Federal Judge rules he's a citizen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
www.tucsonsentinel.com...
Seems a decorated soldier of the Iraqi War, suffering from PTSD and also with numerous criminal convictions, is a target of deportation by ICE, even after a federal judge deemed him a citizen.

Whats the consensus here, especially among our more MAGA members? Is service in the US armed forces something that should weight more heavily on the path to citizenship? Should a ruling by a federal judge hold any weight vis-a-vis citizenship where ICE is concerned?
edit on 35pm17fpmThu, 31 Aug 2017 12:12:14 -0500America/ChicagoThu, 31 Aug 2017 12:12:14 -0500 by Wayfarer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
As far as I am aware it does, I worked with several guys over the years that were using military service to speed the process.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Some backstory would be helpful.

I'm assuming hes here illegally.

So we allow people so serve in our illegal immoral wars if theyre here illegally but we wont allow them to stay after they serve?

Which nationality is he?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
As a veteran soldier who became a citizen via the US Army, this guy can go F himself.

Being a veteran is not a carte blanche, get-out-of-jail-free card.

He wasn't a US Citizen. He was a permanent US resident which means he had a green card when he committed his crimes.

According to US immigration law, citizenship processes can be stopped or rescinded from Resident Aliens and Naturalized Citizens for criminal convictions- especially felonies. The UCMJ also applies as some of his crimes were committed while in uniform.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Do you think non-citizens should be allowed to serve in the armed services?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Do you think non-citizens should be allowed to serve in the armed services?

I did. Nothing wrong with non-citizens serving.

But if someone is going to commit crimes and generally dishonor the service, then it stands to reason that they should face the consequences. Service is not a license to ignore the rule of law. I've seen this kind of thing even from veteran and military friendly sites like Task & Purpose. They often seem to gloss over the multiple convictions part.

This really has nothing to do with the MAGA crowd and have no idea what context this angle serves. It's a pretty cut and dry case. The judge in this case was most certainly wrong. Green card holders are NOT US citizens. They are US residents.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Did you try reading the source?

"Not only is George Ybarra a third-generation American," said Luis Parra, Ybarra's Nogales-based attorney, "but he's also a decorated war veteran. And ICE will not give up trying to deport him."

Also. He didn't commit crimes because he is a bad person. He did it because of his PTSD:

Ybarra was convicted for firing two rounds through the front door of his south Phoenix home in August 2011, narrowly missing two Phoenix police officers who were responding to a 911 call he had placed.

No one was injured in the incident, which Ybarra blames on a delusional episode induced by post-traumatic stress that he's suffered since the Persian Gulf War. Ybarra said he believed that Immigration and Customs Enforcement was coming to "take away" members of his family.

PTSD also fuels his drug addictions that keep landing him in trouble.
edit on 31-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I have to agree.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

This really has nothing to do with the MAGA crowd and have no idea what context this angle serves. It's a pretty cut and dry case. The judge in this case was most certainly wrong. Green card holders are NOT US citizens. They are US residents.

I imagine that most liberals would still push for citizenship after service regardless of crimes committed (though not to go unpunished). On the flip side, I also imagined that there are some Trump supporters who view service as entirely separate (and in no way deserving of citizenship). Hope that explains the MAGA reference.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

edit on 8/31/17 by Gothmog because: what reason ? i dont need no stinkin reason....(it was a bit out of line and character)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
To the Trump supporter it doesn't matter if he is a third generation American he is of Mexican decent and that is all that matters. Remember Trumps tirade about that judge in Indiana it didn't matter that he was born in American his Mexican ethnicity mattered.

So if they do deport this guy can we deport Trump back to his homeland if he gets impeached? Isn't Trump just a second generation American? If it can be done to a third generation then why not a second generation.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

"Not only is George Ybarra a third-generation American," said Luis Parra, Ybarra's Nogales-based attorney, "but he's also a decorated war veteran. And ICE will not give up trying to deport him."

After reading the article carefully, I think the lawyer is wrong. Ybarra's mother has US citizenship via her father, who was born in Arizona. Altho it's not totally clear from the article, it sounds like the mother had not lived in the United States before her son's birth. (It says she came to the US when Ybarra was 3 months old.) That means her son could not claim US citizenship thru her.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

After reading the article carefully, I think the lawyer is wrong. Ybarra's mother has US citizenship via her father, who was born in Arizona. Altho it's not totally clear from the article, it sounds like the mother had not lived in the United States before her son's birth. (It says she came to the US when Ybarra was 3 months old.) That means her son could not claim US citizenship thru her.

Wrong it doesn't matter where the kid was born if his mother was an American then he is an American.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

He did it because of his PTSD:

PTSD doesn't make you commit crimes. It doesn't make you dangerous.

Stop feeding stereotypes.

This exact same story was posted all over social media a few months ago. In those stories it was stated that Ybarra was a US Resident not a citizen. If he is a citizen then ICE has nothing to say about it. If he's not and was not born in the US, then ICE has a say.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

This exact same story was posted all over social media a few months ago. In those stories it was stated that Ybarra was a US Resident not a citizen. If he is a citizen then ICE has nothing to say about it. If he's not and was not born in the US, then ICE has a say.

I've dealt with many vets with PTSD and no they don't become violent. They simply have a problem coping with ever day tasks. He was violent before he went in and was violent after he got out. He's going to learn a lesson that you can't hurt people and expect to be treated well.

People with PTSD that turn violent were all ready that way. PTSD simply makes it very hard to hide your true self because of the flood of emotions.
edit on 8/31/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I'm not feeding any stereotypes. I'm telling you what his defense is for why he committed the crime.

Prove it.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Third generation American .. so that means both his parents and grandparents were here illegally and not citizens and somehow that is a plus for him? What I see from that is a long time his family has been here illegally.

My wife is a first generation immigrant, guess what, she's legal, her kids will be US citizens, we won't have 3 generations of illegals.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichiganYbarra's mother has US citizenship via her father, who was born in Arizona.

Then they are free to prove that in court if it's true. IF true why was he in the service to speed up his US citizenship. So HE apparently thinks he's not a citizen based on that, which makes that story suspect.
edit on 1-9-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Why would the court rule on someone's citizenship? Either someone is a citizen or someone is not a citizen.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Curiel had conflict of interest. If memory serves, he's a member of some Mexican American club or something? I think it would have been better if another judge took the Trump University case.

As for deporting Trump, where would he be deported to? Germany or Britain?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join