It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distant galaxy sends out 15 high-energy radio bursts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: intrptr

What radio bursts?

wiki

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

I totally agree with this, there has to be life out there, its a mathematical certainty.

The only thing that we wouldn't know is what kind of life is out there, there maybe planets where just bacteria lives, just animals, creatures similar to ourselves or as the word "alien" suggests, something that is totally Alien to our comprehension.

What people seem to forget sometimes, is that life evolves and adapts the environment that it evolved within. Imagine there are other similar humans out there, but they developed on a planet with 1.5x the gravity we have on earth. They would look very different to us and would struggle if they were to land on our planet with the difference in gravity. There maybe a planet where there is life that isn't based on breathing in or recycling oxygen, it maybe a different gas or none at all! It all depends on the environment.

Its interesting to ponder...

edit on 2-9-2017 by pigsy2400 because: my poor spelling

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The universe is Teeming with life. To discover Grey aliens and the Praying Mantis aliens on earth, is not a surprise at all.

It takes me back to the real man of UFOs, Paul Bennewitz. He had a computer screen that he developed, before the internet or email, that he could communicate with the aliens. The alien in command evidently, was a praying mantis. And since then, people like to discredit Paul, saying that his computer screen was like a low graphics video game. But if you listen to the people who actually saw photos of the screen, they did not believe it was like a fake video game, they didn't say it looked fake at all. Well Paul and his wife ended up being abductees, as the alien win't let a human get that close to them, without being chipped and controlled.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
a reply to: makalit

perhaps it was a signal sent out to communicate to others in their own galaxy and after all these billions of years it has just happened to reach us in our own galaxy.

Regardless if the signal comes from an intelligence they are either long dead or so advanced they might as well be incomprehensible gods to us. Maybe if they are still around they regard that radio signal in much the same way as to how we regard the cave paintings of our ancestors.

If they were anything like us they'd be long gone regardless of their technological prowess. I figure by the time humanity figures out how to do interstellar travel AND has somewhere in mind to go (bearing in mind that interstellar travel is probably never going to be anywhere near as cool and easy as it is in the movies) the state of planet/species/whatever ending technology will have most likely advanced to a similar degree.

The science fiction people tend to want to see only those things about humanity that make us kind of OK. They tend to ignore the ugly side of human nature that abuses science and technology.

I mean, what are we talking about here? Fighting nature. We're not meant to travel to other planets or communicate with other planets. We're trying to do it because we can. That will be the same reason someone creates or does whatever ends us. If nature doesn't get us first.

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: pigsy2400

I totally agree with this, there has to be life out there, its a mathematical certainty.

The only thing that we wouldn't know is what kind of life is out there, there maybe planets where just bacteria lives, just animals, creatures similar to ourselves or as the word "alien" suggests, something that is totally Alien to our comprehension.

What people seem to forget sometimes, is that life evolves and adapts the environment that it evolved within. Imagine there are other similar humans out there, but they developed on a planet with 1.5x the gravity we have on earth. They would look very different to us and would struggle if they were to land on our planet with the difference in gravity. There maybe a planet where there is life that isn't based on breathing in or recycling oxygen, it maybe a different gas or none at all! It all depends on the environment.

Its interesting to ponder...

DITTO!

The universe is teaming with life both microbial and intelligent.
edit on 3-9-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

a reply to: bananashooter

why don't they send data encoded in the FRB

That's what I'm suggesting.

Maybe they have and we just can't see it.

They no doubt dummed it down for us too

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
If it's "them", why don't they send data encoded in the FRB?

It's a military tactic, why should they?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Perhaps its just one continuous burst interupted by other bodies passing through the radio beam?

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Well, I suppose you couldn't rule that out entirely, but what are you proposing is going to block a signal of that strength every 300 milliseconds ?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Yes, infact the famous Science-Fiction author Frank Herbert wrote about such a scenario in his series "The ConSentiency". So cool! One of the most interesting series of books hes written imo.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
For me, it is gift enough I am seeing a energy bursts from 3 billion years ago!!
Unreal. Beautiful. Spectacular.

I love science!

On the subject of intelligent life, and Patterns in the chaos, I doubt we should look at radio signals, something super fast and zippy, gravity waves or something similar...not that we can, but we should

edit on 5-9-2017 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

a reply to: Azureblue

Well, I suppose you couldn't rule that out entirely, but what are you proposing is going to block a signal of that strength every 300 milliseconds ?

Dunno. I have no idea whats out there. There might be things out there we we have no inkling of.

Keep in mind our only frame of reference for anything regarding the universe is our own world and our own planet earth.

Should there be something out there doing this, we may will find it mind boggling to say the least.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: pigsy2400

Really? I don't think so. Until we find actual evidence of life somewhere other than Earth, then for all we know we're the only life in the entire Universe.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: yosako
The light speed barrier plus the exponentially increasing amount of energy required for mass to get near it, implies that we're in an artificially built "universe" which is a model not intended for Star Wars style space travel.

I'm not sure that the light speed barrier in and of itself implies we are in some kind of matrix style artificial reality. I know this is a somewhat poor analogy but for race cars to go faster they get a more powerful engine and cut weight. The physics of the barrier makes perfect sense to me, it sucks but seems perfectly logical. The faster you go the more fuel you need, and then you need more power to make up for the extra fuel.

The only reasonable way to travel those distances would be to bend space time, a wormhole type of thing. But you'd need more energy than our sun released in most of it's lifetime. So either way we're screwed.

If we really want to explore and colonize the Galaxy with humans we would need to do something like the 10,000 year starship idea. But by the time we learn anything who is there to report it to.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: yosako
The light speed barrier plus the exponentially increasing amount of energy required for mass to get near it, implies that we're in an artificially built "universe" which is a model not intended for Star Wars style space travel.

The light speed barrier is not a barrier but a show of the fastest speed. It's like you take a freezbee and drop it horizontally off a cliff. It's going to slowly fall, and then you take a baseball bat in its vertical position, drop it, and it will fall much faster. The weight of light is the lightest thing known and that is the only reason why it is said to be the fastest.
I don't believe we can go faster than it because there would be a lot more aliens interacting with us here. They'd travel from other galaxies.

originally posted by: Somekindofwizard
I'm not sure that the light speed barrier in and of itself implies we are in some kind of matrix style artificial reality. I know this is a somewhat poor analogy but for race cars to go faster they get a more powerful engine and cut weight. The physics of the barrier makes perfect sense to me, it sucks but seems perfectly logical. The faster you go the more fuel you need, and then you need more power to make up for the extra fuel.

The only reasonable way to travel those distances would be to bend space time, a wormhole type of thing. But you'd need more energy than our sun released in most of it's lifetime. So either way we're screwed.

Well there is a thing called zero point energy. It's actually been proven that the 'foam' that makes up existence (even outer space) is all teeming and filled very prominently with free energy. Maybe you can coat the craft with something to avoid friction. But with intertia you set something in motion, it's gonna keep going in motion.. And then to add speed on top of that, is gonna be quite fast. Zero point energy means your energy does not run out. There is about 3 billion quantum energy fluctuations in 1/1000th of a millisecond. Meaning it moves really fast. If you sucked a little up in your ship while you are moving, there'll be a lot more to spare. You won't run out. We just need to know how to take advantage of all that infinitely free loose energy.

If we really want to explore and colonize the Galaxy with humans we would need to do something like the 10,000 year starship idea. But by the time we learn anything who is there to report it to.

Yup you got it but we'd start small and as our tech increases (imagine having 2 fusion reactors to each side of your rocket ship, we havn't successfully made a fusion reactor. but the sun is an example) and we can make it to a neighbouring star in a couple hundred years.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: makalit

according to my research, the speed of light in vacuum is a threshold of sorts in our universe. beyond the speed of light is all instantaneous without any warp speeds in between

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join