It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is UC Berkeley having a change of heart?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Not if some in the city government have their way!!

After this weekend's left wing violence against peaceful protesters, UC Berkeley, known as the home of the Free Speech Movement, is reconsidering its stance against controversial conservative speakers.

Berkeley debates

University officials have vowed to allow speakers, including conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos, to come even under the threat of violence, which has occurred at Berkeley and other universities earlier this year.

But, that isn't setting well with some in the city government. But, who are these opposers to free speech?

Ben Bartlett, city councilman: www.berkeleyside.com...

Here is what he said:

"We don’t want the moral, psychological and fiscal expense of having these agents of hate coming to our town,” said Berkeley City Councilman Ben Bartlett. "We know the contest of ideas is at the very heart of freedom, but at the same time when the ideas are certain to cause bloodshed I’m inclined to err on the side of protecting the population, and I say that with a heavy heart.”

Interpret that.

Then there is this woman: Councilmember Cheryl Davila www.cityofberkeley.info...

Here is what she said:

Councilwoman Cheryl Davila also opposed the appearance by the conservative speakers, adding: “I don’t appreciate that there are racists coming to UC Berkeley to spew hate.”

And then there is this woman: Lynn Hollander Savio, a veteran Berkeley protestor. Her husband was Mario Savio, the man that came to be known as the leader of the Free Speech Movement. He passed away in 1996. This is an interesting article about him from 1996:

Mario Savio

He would be rolling over in his grave to hear that his wife is now trying to stop free speech at UC Berkeley.

So, as UC Berkeley reconsiders a return to it's roots as the home of the Free Speech Movement, why are certain city councilmen trying to prevent it? Is fear of violence really the reason, and if it is, should it be? Let's discuss.

edit on 30-8-2017 by queenofswords because: spelling correction

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think they got smacked from the private polling PR firms telling them their agendas are not so popular.

Now they have some real work to do.

The 2018 elections are getting closer by the day.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
as UC Berkeley reconsiders a return to it's roots as the home of the Free Speech Movement, why are certain city councilman trying to prevent it?

they're products of the system we've created

duh

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
originally posted by: queenofswords

Here is what he said:

"We don’t want the moral, psychological and fiscal expense of having these agents of hate coming to our town,” said Berkeley City Councilman Ben Bartlett. "We know the contest of ideas is at the very heart of freedom, but at the same time when the ideas are certain to cause bloodshed I’m inclined to err on the side of protecting the population, and I say that with a heavy heart.”

Certain to cause bloodshed? Who exactly was spilling the blood? If the LEO would actually do their job, there wouldn't be bloodshed. They made the fatal error of thinking the Left wouldn't get violent with their protests.

Ban Masks, Ban Shields and ban Backpacks and Sticks, you won't have issues. Boston did a great job of protecting all and keeping both sides apart.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

My thoughts exactly. There are ways to mitigate the violence....IF they really wanted to. Do the city council members that oppose conservative speakers simply want an I-told-you-so moment to stop future free speech venues? I think that's a strong possibility.

The violence would be coming from the left wing protesters, such as the very violent BAMN, some more militant members of BLM, and then your run-of-the-mill agent provocateurs. Then when the police are told to stand down, that's when the mayhem really gets out of hand.

Come on UC Berkeley! Stand for what you used to stand for! Free Speech for opposing viewpoints. Hold your ground against those city council persons and others that are trying to suppress debate.

edit on 30-8-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: queenofswords

The Mayor of Berkeley is also friends with BAMN!!

Confirmed: Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin Publicly Supports Violent Left-Wing ANTIFA Group

LOL

Now their PR problems are double-bubble !!

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Hard to keep up innit?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Confirmed: Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin Publicly Supports Violent Left-Wing ANTIFA Group

Un-freakin'-believable!!

UC Berkeley needs people to call from all over the nation, point these things out to them, let them know WE know that the local government is infiltrated with anti-free speech advocates and supporters of violent groups.

Be. Careful. Who. You. Vote. For. (even locally...especially locally!)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

They should have a "Great Debate" Similar to the the Cenk Uygur vs Ben Shapiro Debate. Not that Cenk was up to the task.

Mabye a Tag Team of Milo and Ann Vs Ben Afleck and Michael Moore.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Certain to cause bloodshed? Who exactly was spilling the blood?

On on side, there's basically Antifa, a coalition of mostly anarchists with some communists and others. On the other side, there's a coalition of "alt-lite," white nationalists, neo-Nazis and related (typically self-describing as the "alt-right").

"Battle for Berkeley" (April 15th):

Do you recognize those people? That's Kyle "Based Stickman" Chapman of the "Proud Boys" ("alt-lite" has his own street fighting "division" of the Proud Boys called the "Fraternal Order of Alt-Knights"). Next to him is Robert Boman of "Rise Above Movement." Which is a basically a neo-Nazi fight club. And next to him is a face that many people have seen recently, Nathan Damigo, the founder of "Identity Evropa."

Interesting side note, Kyle Chapman is on bail right now for possession of a leaded stick. He's served a total of 10 years for robbery. Nathan Damigo did a stint in prison for robbing a taxi driver at gunpoint who he mistakenly believed was Iranian (I think it was?) and supposedly, it was in prison that he became a neo-Nazi.

What I keep trying to point out to people is that there is ongoing violence between two groups of people who comprise a "scene" of political hooliganism on the West Coast, particularly active in central and southern California, especially in the LA area.

This aren't isolated, random acts of violence committed by strangers. Why this is repeatedly being overlooked is that one side shows up dressed in all black and everyone can easily label them "Antifa" while the other more often simply blends in so that they're incorrectly identified as "Trump supporters."

edit on 2017-8-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Its a trap!!!

Are they really afraid that their own liberal rioters will cause harm to their image?

I've never thought that Ben Shapiro or Milo looked like MMA fighters or anything to be scared of.
Seems like PR to me.
edit on 30-8-2017 by Tulpa because: Spilling

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Then this is collusion with a violent group. He should be removed from office. Morons... Antifa are black block commie idiots that didn't get enough hugs from daddy or mommy.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

On on side, there's basically Antifa, a coalition of mostly anarchists with some communists and others. On the other side, there's a coalition of "alt-lite," white nationalists, neo-Nazis and related (typically self-describing as the "alt-right").

What I keep trying to point out to people is that there is ongoing violence between two groups of people who comprise a "scene" of political hooliganism on the West Coast, particularly active in central and southern California, especially in the LA area.

This isn't isolated, random acts of violence committed by strangers. Why this is repeatedly being overlooked is that one side shows up dressed in all black and everyone can easily label them "Antifa" while the other more often simply blends in so that they're incorrectly identified as "Trump supporters."

Im aware of the lineups. If Antifa wasn't there, would there have been violence? To me it's always who casts the first stone. While Nazis and White Supremacists are not nice people, I doubt they would have been rioting and hitting the peaceful protestors there. It be in their interest to play the innocent person being attacked card.

Lets let them fight it out in the Coliseum for our entertainment like civilized Americans. That way innocent people don't get attacked.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

They should have a "Great Debate" Similar to the the Cenk Uygur vs Ben Shapiro Debate. Not that Cenk was up to the task.

Mabye a Tag Team of Milo and Ann Vs Ben Afleck and Michael Moore.

Oh wouldn't that be interesting!! I would pay big bucks to witness that!

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Do you recognize those people? That's Kyle "Based Stickman" Chapman of the "Proud Boys" ("alt-lite" has his own street fighting "division" of the Proud Boys called the "Fraternal Order of Alt-Knights"). Next to him is Robert Boman of "Rise Above Movement." Which is a basically a neo-Nazi fight club. And next to him is a face that many people have seen recently, Nathan Damigo, the founder of "Identity Evropa."

Interesting side note, Kyle Chapman is on bail right now for possession of a leaded stick. He's served a total of 10 years for robbery. Nathan Damigo did a stint in prison for robbing a taxi driver at gunpoint who he mistakenly believed was Iranian (I think it was?) and supposedly, it was in prison that he became a neo-Nazi.

This aren't isolated, random acts of violence committed by strangers. Why this is repeatedly being overlooked is that one side shows up dressed in all black and everyone can easily label them "Antifa" while the other more often simply blends in so that they're incorrectly identified as "Trump supporters."

You only need to see a demographic map of Los Angeles (or any other city for that matter) to see the racial tension:

uselectionatlas.org...

Green=White majority, Blue=Black majority, Red=Hispanic majority, Yellow=Asian majority, White=No majority
Lightest color = >50%, Middle color = >75%, Darkest color = >90%

Working class whites are leaving this area because of the problem with gangs

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

edit on 30-8-2017 by Plotus because: edit

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
let them have their bubble of restricted speech and when they graduate and go out into the real world they will be in for a rude surprise they will treated like outcasts and cult freaks, much like the graduates of Christian universities are treated and for good reason.

edit on 30-8-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Based on what I watched on the news earlier this evening, I'd say, no. Video of a man being beaten, in fear for his life, rescued by a very brave reporter, who though on the opposite side politically, stepped in to help this man, a stranger. The man spoke of what happened, and how police stepped aside and allowed antifa thugs to enter, and start attacking people.

These clowns speaking against violence are protecting the violent types. I sincerely hope that man files a massive lawsuit against the police and the city, and the college, for not doing more to prevent this.

new topics

top topics

join