It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UT fires teacher whose tweet blamed Harvey on Texas GOP vote

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Update:

I heard this guy got the idea to blame the GOP from watching a live report from a fishing boat by Brian Williams. Apparently Gary Sinese is the Republican responsible:

edit on 30 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Almost perfect outcome, in my opinion.
The guy is an idiot for saying something like that.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
The internet has become a bastion for those that want to say what they think, and then become insulted when people see them for what they say, and not who they pretend to be.

We have been warned biblically and historically about speaking without consideration and thought.

Proverbs 13:3 The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; The one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

Proverbs 21:23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue, Guards his soul from troubles.

People have fallen victim to the belief that they have the right to let anything fall from their lips without repercussion. Just another way they have allowed themselves to be duped.

Critical thinking has become an obscure art form that it seems even some university professors lack.

edit on 30-8-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Good policy to deflect away 180 degrees.

Now normal people know you seem to be supporting the "professor's" "thinking" !!

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Most of the anger came from people with no affiliation with the university, its spokesman said.
OR
Most of the anger came from people who call out hate when they see it

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm all for calling out stupid people for saying dumb s# but I usually leave the low hanging fruit used to smear one side or the other to rot on the ground.

Do you now.

edit on 30-8-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Funny. I seem to recall a bunch of people on here crying about the death of the First Amendment when a Nazi was fired from a hot dog stand. I wonder where all those people are now.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I'll say it. I think Harvey was divine discipline for the Christians who voted for Trump's dominionist administration. Same goes for the fires that North Carolina and Tennessee experienced last year.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Funny. I seem to recall a bunch of people on here crying about the death of the First Amendment when a Nazi was fired from a hot dog stand. I wonder where all those people are now.

Free Speech isn't always as "free" as some might think.

They can "say it", but sometimes they can't afford the "cost".

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

Yeah I caught that too. I love how he doesn't care what potential attendees think.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

FYI, natural disasters aren't confined to states that went for Trump. You're just as ignorant as this "professor" who apparently thinks hurricanes hitting Texas just started this year. Get educated on the issue before you open your mouth.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Am I right? This guy sounds like those religious crazies that said Katrina was punishment for New Orleans sins, some of which suffered a public backlash. There have also been quite a few conservatives that have felt the wrath of the media and public response, some fairly, but many not so fairly. This seems to be the new reality that social media has brought with it.

So, careful what you say in the public forum. It may have consequences. Thank god ATS is generally anonymous. hahah

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Firing people for tweets is just the beginning. Eventually people will be fired for their thoughts.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Yeah, like that gal who tweeted something about AIDS when she was on the plane to africa and found out she was fired when she landed.

lol.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm not for someone being fired every time they tweet something offensive. But this guy demonstrated an obvious hatred for anyone with political views that oppose his. That directly impacts his ability to do his job. That's specifically why universities should have policies like this. How can you possibly expect him to be fair to his students? If he was a construction worker, what impact would this tweet have on his job? Granted, these policies are often abused to police unpopular speech when they shouldn't be, and I'm against that. In this case though, this guy has no place influencing our youth until he lets go of his bigotry. If his tweet was hating all black people, I doubt you would argue that doesn't demonstrate a conflict of interest with being fair to his black students. This is no different except it was focused on a different group of people, in this case an entire political party.
edit on 31 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

I'm not for someone being fired every time they tweet something offensive. But this guy demonstrated an obvious hatred for anyone with political views that oppose his. That directly impacts his ability to do his job. That's specifically why universities should have policies like this. How can you possibly expect him to be fair to his students? If he was a construction worker, what impact would this tweet have on his job? Granted, these policies are often abused to police unpopular speech when they shouldn't be, and I'm against that. In this case though, this guy has no place influencing our youth until he lets go of his bigotry. If his tweet was hating all black people, I doubt you would argue that doesn't demonstrate a conflict of interest with being fair to his black students. This is no different except it was focused on a different group of people, in this case an entire political party.

I understand. Principle is a tough nut to swallow for relativists.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

What I described actually has principle behind it, you obviously just missed it or don't understand it. That's ok. Nobody understands every concept they come across.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

It's sad that people are so infected with TDS that they'd go this far. Will the hurting butts ever subside?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
I wonder if the people saying katrina happened because of gay people lost their jobs?

Never heard that one. I always heard Bush was responsible and was hoping to kill a lot of blacks with Katrina.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I'll say it. I think Harvey was divine discipline for the Christians who voted for Trump's dominionist administration. Same goes for the fires that North Carolina and Tennessee experienced last year.

I'll counter. What's your excuse for all the wildfires and earthquakes on the west coast? Why did Harris County, who voted for Hillary 54% to 41%, and democrats in 10 out of 15 precincts, receive the most destruction if this was payback for voting for Trump?

Don't you think you should research these things before making such ignorant assumptions?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join