It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The oposite of diversity is university

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The whole point of college is to learn.
Well i used to think so. Today, colleges do nothing more that divide, indoctrinate and agitate.

All we hear about are safe spaces, diversity, flag waving, add your favorite here.

Well here's a headline for ya.

"Black and Latino students refuse to share space at University of Florida"

www.thecollegefix.com...

The story states this.

"Black and Latino student groups at the University of Florida recently protested a plan to house their organizations in one building, saying it would erase and marginalize their black and brown bodies and their cultures at the predominantly white institution."

They are upset that they will need to share an elevator and a hallway to get to their "isolated" wing of the new building.

My favorite quote of the story was this.

"Daniel Clayton, a student member of No La IBCita, told The College Fix via email that the U-building design “erases our own mark on this campus and we get absorbed into ‘the Gator Nation’ without ever feeling a sense of home.”

The root of the word "university" from Latin is "the whole"

Apparently that is not in the class schedule.

Diversity has killed our colleges.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It doesn't matter what you learn. The whole point of college is not to learn. The whole point of college is to learn how to learn.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
S&F for the Title

It's upside down man!

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Yeah ok.
I hope when you need a surgeon they didn't have that philosophy.
Highschool should prepare you for college.
College should prepare you to work.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yeah ok.
I hope when you need a surgeon they didn't have that philosophy.
Highschool should prepare you for college.
College should prepare you to work.

You don't learn how to do surgery in college. Doctors become interns at hospitals.

I disagree with your statement "college should prepare you to work". College should expand your mind, improve your character, and teach how to learn whatever it is you need to learn. No one saw the Internet coming. The next big thing might be home fusion power. I think learning how to learn in college is the best thing you can do. Have you even been to college? The professors don't care one iota if you learn anything at all. In college, you get out of it exactly every ounce of effort you put into it. That's the point of college. Nobody is going to "train" you. Professors mostly answer questions. It's up to the student to find the questions that are important to ask in order to get the highest grade.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

"Colleges don't make fools, they only develop them."

— George Lorimer

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You get out of college exactly what you put into it. If you treat your experience like someone who has a low quality character you will remain a low quality character. If you try to learn and improve your mind your college experience will be among the greatest experiences of your life. My college education is something I treasure. It was worth every single penny times 10.

edit on 30-8-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I was in a band and got laid a lot.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Four years of college.
Mechanical engineering degree.
My physics and metallurgy classes didn't teach me how to learn.

If that's not how college works today then they are failing the kids that are attending.
That's also why so many can't pay their loans. They came out dumber than when they entered.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Sooner or later if this trend continues, college would lose its appeal unless they removed all regressive leftist influence.

Here are the results of regressive leftist brainwashing:

edit on 8/30/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

It doesn't matter what you learn. The whole point of college is not to learn. The whole point of college is to learn how to learn.

This. Critical thinking is the most important skill to be learned in college and clearly there are quite a few people out there, even on ATS, that should probably brush up on their college to improve that skill.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Whenever I see a resume with the words "critical thinker", it's gets filed in the circular file cabinet.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Who cares about resume fluff? Critical thinking isn't something you tell someone you have. It is something you demonstrate.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

How do you demonstrate anything if you can't get hired?
I have seen resumes with people describing themselves as critical thinkers.
Also stay away from quick learners and problem solvers.
The only time any of those apply is when they have job experience.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

How do you demonstrate anything if you can't get hired?
I have seen resumes with people describing themselves as critical thinkers.
Also stay away from quick learners and problem solvers.
The only time any of those apply is when they have job experience.

Then they need to take a resume building class. Writing a good and presentable resume isn't the same as being a good worker and knowing how to do your job. Any schmuck could easily pay a professional resume writer to do it for them and they could have all the real skills of a drunk wino.

There is literally NOTHING I learned in college that I apply to my job that requires the degree I have, but because of the learning skills I learned while in college I was able to pick things up easily and stay current in my industry. Don't mistake lack of business experience, cultural knowledge, and resume building as college failing these students. It actually amazes me how people like you even act surprised that people who have never written a resume in their life are bad at it when they do it for the first time.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

You say people like me.
Lemme tell ya about me.
I have been hiring and firing people for nearly 20 years. I know what to look for in people from years of personal experience.
The applicants are getting worse and worse every year. I blame the colleges.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Yes people like you. You just proved it to me by saying that the applicants are getting worse every year when, in fact, fresh college grad resumes have always looked like butt. Resumes are hard to build and the standards for them change all the time. As a jaded HR rep you live this reality, but someone new to it, it is an intimidating factor. To be honest, I think the resume process is literally the worst way to pick out a good worker. All these unspoken rules and things you need to do to write the perfect resume where you have to take classes and seek instruction to do it well all so you can forget it all when you settle into your job.

Instead of overhauling colleges, we should overhaul the job applicant process.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Nobody gets hired because of their resume.
We have to do personal interviews.
That's where you really see how bad things have gotten.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Nobody gets hired because of their resume.
We have to do personal interviews.
That's where you really see how bad things have gotten.

Yes. Step 2 in the stupid and tedious process of getting a job. Pretending like you are presentable enough to pass yourself off as competent. A step equally filled with unspoken rules and needs that no one tells you but can get you disqualified just by walking in the door and not doing them.

Like I said, expecting fresh college grads to be good at the hiring process when they've been in school their entire lives is ridiculously naive. Stop buying into the "Millennials are lazy slackers" stereotype. It isn't true.
edit on 30-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Ok I really have to ask.
How would you suggest hiring somenody?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join