It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Your phone that FREAKING important to you.Phones And Quality time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I see couples walking down the street..texting while walking.I see couples in the car and one is texting or neck is bent over looking at something maybe on social media.I went to a friends house the other day, was invited to dinner and the kids were at the table texting while eating dinner..the wife as well.

Yesterday, I decided to treat my self to a lobster dinner and as I sat in the restaurant I looked at all the couples and family at the tables.At every table, some one was looking at their phone.The father sitting at one table had to have asked his daughter within 20 minutes to put her phone away at least 5 times while i was sitting there.

Just curious how many of you go through this? It takes away the quality time one should spend with family and friends.

How does one win against the phones?

edit on 29-8-2017 by ImmortalLegend527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I run an ISP.

It's worse than your observations have led you to believe it is. High speed Data is crack coc aine. The heroine epidemic is nothing compared to the distracted epidemic and need to be entertained and or buried in the phone for some reason.

If the internet goes out at all or slows down, people flip. Take the phones away from people and they just go bonkers.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It's just the price we pay for the digital life. It's an extension of your real life and it has it's benefits. But it also takes time away from your real life, I don't like it myself but I'm guilty of it too.

I used to ride the train alot as a student, you had eye contact back then. Was in a train the other day and everybody had their eyes glued to the screen. If I commited a murder there and ran out, no one could id me.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
I run an ISP.

It's worse than your observations have led you to believe it is. High speed Data is crack coc aine. The heroine epidemic is nothing compared to the distracted epidemic and need to be entertained and or buried in the phone for some reason.

If the internet goes out at all or slows down, people flip. Take the phones away from people and they just go bonkers.

It's that serious, you would label it as a drug..interesting, seems that way huh?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImmortalLegend527
The father sitting at one table had to have asked his daughter within 20 minutes to put her phone away at least 5 times while i was sitting there.

The father should have moved his daughter to another table ... and left her behind at the restaurant when he was finished with his meal. LOL

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
It's just the price we pay for the digital life. It's an extension of your real life and it has it's benefits. But it also takes time away from your real life, I don't like it myself but I'm guilty of it too.

I used to ride the train alot as a student, you had eye contact back then. Was in a train the other day and everybody had their eyes glued to the screen. If I commited a murder there and ran out, no one could id me.
Laugh of the day , thanks, and I bet you probably would get away, thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX
It really is worse then people are willing to admit.

I have asked people that don't believe it is a problem, to do the simple test of taking the cell phones away from their children for a week and to go without any internet connection for a week, just to see how long they can go.

It is very telling.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Why not, you should have seen her attitude, she didn't even want to eat with out her phone.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
What a thread

I will never own a modern day phone. I have , and always will (as long as they are available) use a land line and an old fashioned flip-phone. As long as it calls out and I can answer calls , I am good to go. Folks can waste all their precious heartbeats on the phone. Not me.

PS - Other than the above . I am the most high-tech guy you will probably ever meet. (no social media either . I get my "likes" from conversations with my friends.actual conversations)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I see that a lot at work too. On break everybody looking at their phone.

Me too now. I am 52, back in the day everybody had their nose in a news paper at break.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: SR1TX
It really is worse then people are willing to admit.

I have asked people that don't believe it is a problem, to do the simple test of taking the cell phones away from their children for a week and to go without any internet connection for a week, just to see how long they can go.

It is very telling.

That's just..not going to happen.When I read this, the first thing that came to my mind was, the movie 'IT' and children of the corn, don't know why, lol.
edit on 29-8-2017 by ImmortalLegend527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
What a thread

I will never own a modern day phone. I have , and always will (as long as they are available) use a land line and an old fashioned flip-phone. As long as it calls out and I can answer calls , I am good to go. Folks can waste all their precious heartbeats on the phone. Not me.

PS - Other than the above . I am the most high-tech guy you will probably ever meet. (no social media either . I get my "likes" from conversations with my friends.actual conversations)

Old school huh, lol.

That's the life, no big phone bills, you don't have to get mad when your data runs out, and you can actually go out and enjoys one companionship, with out some one interrupting. That's the American Dream Baby!

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
I see that a lot at work too. On break everybody looking at their phone.

Me too now. I am 52, back in the day everybody had their nose in a news paper at break.
So true, either the news paper or reading a good book , sharing laughs and conversations with one another but now?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ImmortalLegend527

It bother me and I don't do it. My wife is pretty good too.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImmortalLegend527
I see couples walking down the street..texting while walking.I see couples in the car and one is texting or neck is bent over looking at something maybe on social media.I went to a friends house the other day, was invited to dinner and the kids were at the table texting while eating dinner..the wife as well.

Yesterday, I decided to treat my self to a lobster dinner and as I sat in the restaurant I looked at all the couples and family at the tables.At every table, some one was looking at their phone.The father sitting at one table had to have asked his daughter within 20 minutes to put her phone away at least 5 times while i was sitting there.

Just curious how many of you go through this? It takes away the quality time one should spend with family and friends.

How does one win against the phones?

This how it is everywhere, and it is actually sickening. I have even bribed people with money to not use their smart phone for a few hours... couldn't do it, sad.

It will get much worse, and it is probably irreversible.

Technology will be our demise.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ImmortalLegend527

I don't suffer this problem.

See I basically lost everything, my family kids home car, everything.
And I believe it was completely unfair.

So over the years of dealing with that, I learned a few things and made some very powerful conscious decisions based on my desires and feelings.

I realized that I had taken everything for granted and if I could go back, I would have given them SO MUCH MORE of my attention and time.

I don't even have to choose to put the phone away if I'm talking to someone in public, I honestly actually forget I have a phone on me. I get so engrossed into giving others attention and enjoying talking to them, that I just don't really think about much else.

I spend a lot of time alone, yes, way more than just about anyone does I believe. But when I am around others, I embrace their presence and give them my attention. I didn't have to put the phone down. This is so important to realize because I discovered through unbelievable amounts of heartache and tragedy and suffering - that I need to cherish other human beings and that I WANT TO CHERISH THEM!

I'm honestly jealous of those couples that walk down the street, and I'm offended they are on their phones instead of giving each other that amazing caring attention. I'm offended. I wouldn't be on my phone....

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

What a thread

What was life like back in the 1800s?

Hahaha, kidding.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

What a thread

What was life like back in the 1800s?

Hahaha, kidding.

Kidding ? You were close.....

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
That's one aspect of societal collapse that I'm really going to enjoy. Watching all the simple minds have to go without such "necessities" as their social media and stupid tweets and snaps.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
That's one aspect of societal collapse that I'm really going to enjoy. Watching all the simple minds have to go without such "necessities" as their social media and stupid tweets and snaps.

Interesting.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join