It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why didn't everyone in texas just leave?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That's Atlanta for you.

Similar story. I was driving just north of Minneapolis about 20 years ago-it's really flat there-and I spotted a huge tornado just landing in the St. Paul area. I freaked and told my husband to race as fast as he could north while I kept watch on the horribly destructive tornado-you could actually see debris flying out of it. We were headed to a cabin in the north woods and all I could thin of was to get away in the opposite direction asap. We passed alot of cars stopped staring at the spectacle. I just wanted to step on the gas.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: dantanna

Yellowstone is a supervolcano which is active.

Have you left the States yet?

The sun is going to go supernova in a few billion years, better get packing.

I already own property off planet.

And I've planned to sell ice-creams and shaved ice as the planet heats up. Not to mention the added advantages of the 'solar economy'. I'll make a mint first, before I leave.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

My plan involves moving to the Arctic, as that will be the last place to melt, and selling ice to Eskimos.

It's foolproof!

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

The sun cannot go supernova . Wrong type with the wrong ingredients .
It will, in a few billion years , become a red giant. Somewhat of the same effect on the Earth though .

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: Gothmog

That's Atlanta for you.

Similar story. I was driving just north of Minneapolis about 20 years ago-it's really flat there-and I spotted a huge tornado just landing in the St. Paul area. I freaked and told my husband to race as fast as he could north while I kept watch on the horribly destructive tornado-you could actually see debris flying out of it. We were headed to a cabin in the north woods and all I could thin of was to get away in the opposite direction asap. We passed alot of cars stopped staring at the spectacle. I just wanted to step on the gas.

Travels SW to NE in most cases and about 20 mph. At 60 mph on the shoulder of the road , I knew I would be AOK.
BTW , a happy ending . The tornado didnt touch down and passed over those folks. No injuries or deaths or even damage to property.
You dont get that chance with a hurricane.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

It will, in a few billion years , become a red giant. Somewhat of the same effect on the Earth though .

Well, at least I don't have to change my foolproof plan of enriching myself by moving to the Arctic and selling ice to the inhabitants there. That's a relief.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Well, at least I don't have to change my foolproof plan of enriching myself by moving to the Arctic and selling ice to the inhabitants there. That's a relief.

A move to one of Jupiter's moons would be a good plan.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

A move to one of Jupiter's moons would be a good plan.

I hear the women are nice. Some chick named Cassini, or Cassandra or something.....sounds like a good sort. A real eye opener I'm told.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Democrat Houston Mayor avoided calling for Houston's EVAC...even though the Republican Governor advised it.

The people would have been dead in their cars. When Rita happened it was a total disaster. It took some people 48 hours to drive to Austin.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

My plan involves moving to the Arctic, as that will be the last place to melt, and selling ice to Eskimos.

It's foolproof!

Yeah, but when things start to heat up, you should go to Mars. It's cold now but will be quite pleasant by then, for a few thousand years, anyway.

After that, I'm going to the batch on Titan for a while. Before setting off to the sphere, which we will have by then (like the one they are building right now around KIC 8462852).

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Yeah Mars is an option, but I've been meaning to swing by Pluto for a while now and give the poor little fellow a hug. I may stay there a while and be a shoulder for him to cry on.

He will hopefully cheer up when I tell him he'll be the last to burn when the sun goes all red gianty.

edit on 29/8/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
People always like where they live for lot's of reasons.

I'll be the first to tell you though, I'm never moving to Tornado Alley and I'm never moving to New Orleans or any beach house on the Gulf of Mexico.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

I'll be the first to tell you though, I'm never moving to Tornado Alley and I'm never moving to New Orleans or any beach house on the Gulf of Mexico.

I'd rather move there than inside the blast radius of a volcano, as millions of people do.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I'd rather move there than inside the blast radius of a volcano, as millions of people do.

Seattle is waiting for magma. Any day now. Shame really great food.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
To begin with, the mayor of Houston did not issue an evacuation order. In fact, he told residents to bunker down and stay where they were.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

You've a got a point there. It's tough to find a good, decent safe place. Here in the US we're pretty safe. We only have tornado alley and the Hurricane zones. But even there, I'd life up in elevation and not right next to the coast.

But when does that become too paranoid, such as worrying about the Yellowstone super volcanoe or moving upstream of nuclear power plants?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Having been through Rita I understand why. The road infrastructure can't support an evacuation.

People were robbing stalled cars, a bus of people died,....their would have been literally thousands of dead people stuck in gridlock.
edit on 29-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I lived through multiple hurricanes as a resident of Palm Beach county during 2004-2005 and I was unable to just leave due to not having personal transportation.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
OP, just curious -- did you expect to get dragged this hard?

maybe you should have evacuated the thread

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

How Safe Am I From a
Natural Disaster?

Safest counties: Top 5:

1 Sweet Grass County MT 1.7 3,651 2 Washington County ID 1.7 10,198 3 Wheatland County MT 1.8 2,168 4 Sherman County OR 2.0 1,765 5 Emporia city VA 2.0 5,927

Only one on the East Coast. The rest are MT, OR, NM, ID and SD. Not in the intimidate Yellowstone Supervolcano path.

Most dangerous: Top 5:

1 Ocean County NJ 223.7 576,567 2 Orange County CA 180.8 3,010,232 3 Cape May County NJ 174.3 97,265 4 Monmouth County NJ 173.8 630,380 5 Los Angeles County CA 171.0 9,818,605
Source

originally posted by: luthier

Seattle is waiting for magma. Any day now. Shame really great food.

Seattle is too far from volcanoes , including Mt. Rainier, to receive damage from blast and pyroclastic flows.

Ash falls could reach Seattle from any volcano , but prevailing weather patterns would probably blow ash away from Seattle*.

Mt. Rainier and Glacier Peak are closest volcanoes to Seattle and therefore the most likely ash sources . To underscore this uncertainty, ash deposits from a pre - historic eruption were recently found in Seattle . The deposit’s source could not be identified.

Source
*Whether doesn't always help, Canadian and local wildfire smoke is sticking/has stuck around for quite a while.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join