It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian Clouds in Action Captured by Curiosity Rover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
5 years ago this month Curiosity Rover landed on Mars to look for the conditions that could have supported life and do a bit of mountaineering , well she found the conditions that could have supported life and is now doing a bit of mountaineering but along the way she's also had time to look at the Martian sky and send us back these captivating images of Marian clouds in action.

Enhanced version.

Researchers used Curiosity's Navigation Camera (Navcam) to take two sets of eight images of the sky on an early Martian morning last month. For one set, the camera pointed nearly straight up. For the other, it pointed just above the southern horizon. Cloud movement was recorded in both and was made easier to see by image enhancement.
A midday look at the sky with the same camera the same day showed no clouds

York's Charissa Campbell produced the enhanced-image sequences by generating an "average" of all the frames in each sequence, then subtracting that average from each frame, emphasizing any frame-to-frame changes. The moving clouds are also visible, though fainter, in a sequence of raw images.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

You've got to hand it to NASA , they do build exceedingly good rovers.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
What were the clouds made of ? methane

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

They're made of water ice crystals.

"It is likely that the clouds are composed of crystals of water ice that condense out onto dust grains where it is cold in the atmosphere," said Curiosity science-team member John Moores of York University, Toronto, Canada. "The wisps are created as those crystals fall and evaporate in patterns known as 'fall streaks' or 'mare's tails.' While the rover does not have a way to ascertain the altitude of these clouds, on Earth such clouds form at high altitude."

edit on 29-8-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The rover is still going?

That's not a rover that's.....

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Just a thought... there is a 'grand canyon' there on Mars, a scratch/gouge. It would likely have eons of debris contained in it. Blown in, and unable to exit. Seems it would be a great repository of Martian life components.

The clouds look promising however. Hopefully if we can keep from blowing our selves to smithereens, we might someday have more illuminating answers.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Al Gore should go and check it out

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Beautiful images.

Mars has gone through so many changes in how we see it. It used to be totally dead and then we had the dust devils and suspicions of ice...even 'snow.' I still remember being convinced by Carlotto that there were henges and remains of monuments. Little bit embarrassed by my credulity on that one, but it was a great feeling to believe we'd explore them.

It's an exciting time for space exploration!

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That's a cool picture mate , Lil Devils look look like they're having fun.

I still remember being convinced by Carlotto that there were henges and remains of monuments. Little bit embarrassed by my credulity on that one, but it was a great feeling to believe we'd explore them.

Yeah , I'm with you there I even believed Hoagland way back when.
***embarrassed emo***

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Hoagland?! I'm gonna remember that so stock up on aloe vera. Muwahahah

I was listening to a show about the Kuiper Belt and there's the James Webb coming too. So much to look forward to lately. Armchair aficionado heaven

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Hoagland?! I'm gonna remember that so stock up on aloe vera. Muwahahah

I was listening to a show about the Kuiper Belt and there's the James Webb coming too. So much to look forward to lately. Armchair aficionado heaven

It was clear a long time ago Hoagland was BS artist. He'd go on Art Bell and make tall tales so bullishly. I'd go to his site and they'd make so much s*** up. Reminds me of Trump during the campaign.

Art Bell was running a business to get listeners. I can't blame.
edit on 8/29/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

He was high on enthusiasm and loved his !!!!

I feel nostalgic for the Hoagland threads. They were fun.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Water-ice.

Water-ice clouds were first observed in Mars' atmosphere in 1969 by Mariner 6 and Mariner 7. The Viking Landers also observed them in 1976, as did Pathfinder lander in 1997 and Spirit and Opportunity rovers around 2005-ish.

edit on 30/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join