It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Actor quits Hellboy reboot over 'Whitewashing' - Seriously give me a break

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: fiverx313
a reply to: fusiondoe

man, if you need the differences among all those concepts explained to you, i just don't know what i could possibly say :l

I can see the actor's point, I don't know why others can't

Same here and it's his business what jobs he wants to do.

The only reason for my post is to scream in bloody frustration and futility at these lazy mother****ers who reboot movies. The original isn't ancient and still holds up as a decent movie. They could have tapped into the rest of the Hellboy adventures instead of taking the easiest route. But no...let's remake the same film so everyone already knows the ending. Yeah, that's what people really want.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   
A big part of the storyline was that his grandmother was the Crimson Lotus, a secret which led to suspicion from his comrades. His ethnicity actually played a role in the story. So this seems like just another "white victimhood" thread by someone who's not even a fan of the comic.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So wait. This is the fault of the casting director, who would (or should, as it's their job) have had the role of studying the source material characters and casting the right person, usually along with the director and producers. So all 3 roles ignored that the character was Asian or what not and it was up to the actor to "call it" and pull out.

I don't think he's so much at fault, but why does this feel like it was intentional, so that he COULD pull out and then Hollywood could be all self-congratulatory to itself (as per usual) that "the right decision was made" to honour the source ethnicity.

There were multiple times it could have been corrected before this point of the actor being miscast and pulling out. Make a mistake and deal with it quietly sure, but not with Hollywood - nope, gotta be press releases, media sensations and of course, gotta pile this onto one of the actors cos no-one gives two S's about "unknown producer". That's not a story that'd sell and they know it...

I don't really care if the actor pulling out is right or wrong, the bigger point is, producer, director, casting director - do your #ing job properly in the first place.
edit on 29-8-2017 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: markymint

markymint,

Its been proven on many occasions, particularly in the recent history of comic book adaptations, computer games related movies and anime to western film adaptations, that casting directors often make the wrong choices and stick with them, regardless of the fallout it may cause.

The ONLY difference here, is that the actor who had been inappropriately cast, was aware or became aware of the fact, and removed himself to give the casting directors and others responsible, time and space to do the right thing. Hes basically put pressure on them now, because if they miscast the role again, it will be an obviously deliberate act, rather than an oversight or a fumble. Its a smart move, if the actors intention was to give them a chance to either redeem or hang themselves.

Hats off!

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
im glad. im half asian, if you read the comic book, the character is a japanese guy, and its part of his story, major part of his story.

in the 30's, racist hollywood loved blackface. yet in 2015, it is ok for there to be yellowface? scarlet johanssan getting sqinty eyes makeup to play a japanese character?

hollywood is ethnocentrically run and ruled. anytime we get to knock those internationnalists media moguls down a peg or two is a win win for society.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
He should have just continued his role as Daario Naharis.

It had a possible gay love scene, so he quit the role.

Funny this, but not that.

Seems to me he opted out of Hellboy to avoid criticisms that Tilda Swinton got over Dr. Strange.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

The only reason for my post is to scream in bloody frustration and futility at these lazy mother****ers who reboot movies. The original isn't ancient and still holds up as a decent movie. They could have tapped into the rest of the Hellboy adventures instead of taking the easiest route. But no...let's remake the same film so everyone already knows the ending. Yeah, that's what people really want.

I would love to see many Hellboy movies. They have hardly tapped into the story line that could only get better and better... if this is another "spider man" give me a break...

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well Ghost in th eshell wasnt to bad though since they explained away the use of a white woman for motoko kusanagi.
Still it would had been better if the puppet master would had been not related.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Oh ATS you never fail to amuse.

Sam Wilson takes over as Captain America? PC run amok!

Mile Morales takes over as Spider-Man? This is an attack on white people!

Riri Williams takes over as Iron Man? No wonder Marvel is losing business!

Cast a white guy in the role Ben Daimio? Well why can't a white person play a character whose heritage is a large part of his story arc?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

originally posted by: JinMI
He should have just continued his role as Daario Naharis.

It had a possible gay love scene, so he quit the role.

Funny this, but not that.

Seems to me he opted out of Hellboy to avoid criticisms that Tilda Swinton got over Dr. Strange.

Not true, he got the offer to do the transporter reboot during filming GoT, sat down with his agent and they decided that would be a better way to get into movies. I think he was a much better Daario than the dude they replaced him with personally.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I would love to see many Hellboy movies. They have hardly tapped into the story line that could only get better and better... if this is another "spider man" give me a break...

Dead on.

It's like ever decreasing circles when there's so much else they can tap into.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
One thing he should consider. If you get the rep of being a "difficult" person to work with you'll find that the job offers dry up. You never know when and what could be the "Dixie Chicks" moment that derails your career.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

So he's speaking up now? after nearly a century of whitewashing he speaks up now?

Look at Ben Hur, Cleopatra, Hell an Australian played an English speaking Italian gladiator for Pete's sake.

What annoys some folk is these movies don't stick to the source material, if a character is an Asian in the comics, cast an Asian actor. If a character is black, cast a black actor and so forth. It's not rocket science.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join