It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Actor quits Hellboy reboot over 'Whitewashing' - Seriously give me a break

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It'd be comparable to an asian caste as british ancestry. It's not very convincing. It's somewhat like blackface too.

There's also cultural appropriation:
en.wikipedia.org - Cultural appropriation...

This is when a culture uses or adopts elements of another.
edit on 8/29/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Ok so does anybody who disagrees care to answer what I wrote originally?

Why a black Annie? But not a white comic book character?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReAdY2AsCeNd
You portray being so knowledgeable of how these things work - surely you being knowledgeable would make you able to start and go from there. Otherwise you are just as bias as your posts portray you to be.

having tried to explain these things many times to people who are already starting from an antagonistic viewpoint, i have tired of banging my head against a brick wall. not to mention, i am hardly the only source in the world for this information, if someone GENUINELY wanted to understand the perspective. so no, i am not going to waste my time with people who are obviously hellbent on their own white grievance about total bull#. thank you.

here is the statement from the actor in question. if it doesn't illuminate the matter for you, i'm not sure what else i could add.

twitter.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: fusiondoe

because nearly every role in every movie, book, and show that is popularized is white. especially old # like annie and james bond. so making those parts more diverse is bringing equal representation. making ethnic parts white is not.

damn, see what you made me do? go ahead and totally misrepresent it now, i know what comes next.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

You portray being so knowledgeable of how these things work - surely you being knowledgeable would make you able to start and go from there. Otherwise you are just as bias as your posts portray you to be.

having tried to explain these things many times to people who are already starting from an antagonistic viewpoint, i have tired of banging my head against a brick wall. not to mention, i am hardly the only source in the world for this information, if someone GENUINELY wanted to understand the perspective. so no, i am not going to waste my time with people who are obviously hellbent on their own white grievance about total bull#. thank you.

here is the statement from the actor in question. if it doesn't illuminate the matter for you, i'm not sure what else i could add.

twitter.com...

As I expected your reply to be - excuses of explaining it to no end, feelings of beating head up against brick wall - all cop outs which makes your transparent bias shine through.

I didn't approach you in an antagonistic way nor did I ask for other sources. You claimed to be so knowledgeable and tbh was quite condescending in your posts. I was being open minded in hearing you explain the knowledge to me. I like being informed.

However I lurk here all the time and see many of your posts not just in this this thread where I get the same feeling.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
No there is a difference but it is beyond being explained.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: fusiondoe

To be fair annie was represented as a little white girl for many years before they recast the role as a little black girl.
To my knowledge major ben daimio has yet to be seen on the big screen so I can understand wanting his first appearance to be more in line with the source art work.

I personally don't care at all what color an actor is so long as they are good.
To prove what I'm saying let me tell you I am a big fan of stephen king and the dark tower is one of my favorite book series.
I can not wait to see both the movie and t.v. series, black actor in a white role and all.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   

I didn't approach you in an antagonistic way

you did.

sorry i can't help you.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It sounds like he has fallen victim to "white guilt". It will be easy to replace him for Hellboy reboot.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe
Yet black actors in Britain have no scruples about taking on parts in Shakespeare, although it's obvious enough that all his characters except Othello would have been white.
It seems to be wriiten into current theatrical law that Romeo MUST be played by a black actor.
The absurdity of the double standard.

edit on 29-8-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
He's taking a stand based on his personal believes. I don't see how that deserves criticism? Does it affect anyone in any way? Slow news week?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gemwolf
He's taking a stand based on his personal believes. I don't see how that deserves criticism? Does it affect anyone in any way? Slow news week?

People get triggered over the silliest things lol

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I didn't approach you in an antagonistic way

you did.

sorry i can't help you.

Of course I did - so you could cop out because you have no such "knowledge" of all this bs that is swirling around. You even made a very racist remark on the previous page but I guess that doesn't count.

It doesn't fit the narrative that is being pushed at the time.

I digress.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
And... nothing of value was lost. Easily replaceable.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Have known Ed for years from doing music and touring together. He's a genuinely good dude. A guy puts his own personal ethics before money and suddenly he's some kind of race traitor and worthy of contempt...OK.

I'm sure the fickle opinions of random idiots on the Internet will bother him greatly, as will the vapid speculation on how much he earns.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:01 AM
link   
they shouldn't be rebooting the series but making a follow up to the original franchise.

more actors will leave this film due to the nature of production and 'creative differences' would have been the excuse but, you neo-nazi snowflakes are so easily triggered it's so much funnier.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   

twitter.com...

quoting this so everyone in the thread has a second chance to click the link and read the actor's own words which explains the situation with grace and simplicity and completely negates the need for a thread about this in the first place

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Shame I think he is a decent enough actor to bring something to the roll.

But either way first I had heard of the reboot, and just got to say... no Ron Perlman its not hell boy.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: fusiondoe
Yet black actors in Britain have no scruples about taking on parts in Shakespeare, although it's obvious enough that all his characters except Othello would have been white.
It seems to be wriiten into current theatrical law that Romeo MUST be played by a black actor.
The absurdity of the double standard.

Agree. It's the double standard that is the issue, though in this case I think it was the actors choice to walk away from the role.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

You know what actual comic fans hate?

The fluidity with which characters change, and the pace too. An example:

Spider-Man. If you ever read the serious comics, not the kiddified nonsense, but the collectors stuff, during the 90s and the noughties, you will note that things were in flux constantly. Spider-Man was Peter Parker, then it was Ben Reilly, then it was Peter Parker again. People hated that, despite the fact that Ben Reilly was a great character, really interesting and all that. More recently, Peter Parker and Mary Jane are no longer married, because the wall crawler did a deal with the Marvel Universes equivalent of Satan for some reason.

And yet, the rules as pertaining to Spider-Man are that Spider-Man's true identity is Peter Parker, no one else, ever, for all time, and that he will always be married to and in love with Mary Jane. People do not want reboots, massive paradigm shifts, and the destruction of the basis of their heros. Things must be THE SAME! The enemies may change, the method of dealing with them shift, but the fundamental underpinnings of their character, their relationships, must never shift one bit. The reason? People want familiar heroes, with familiar lives, where they can pick up an issue five years later and find that the only thing which surprises them is who the next enemy is, or what their dastardly scheme might be this time. They do not want to pick up an issue of Spider-Man where his wife and lover is no longer his wife and lover, or where he is no longer Peter Parker at all, but one of a number now, of alternatives to Peter Parker.

Another example, is Captain America.

I have news for Marvel... Captain America being anything other than a destroyer of fascists and a breaker of Nazi balls, is a heresy, and the people who thought his Hydra conversion up need to be shot in the balls till they die from it.

In the same way, when I set up to watch Doctor Strange (although I loved that movie in general), I was distinctly perturbed by some of the casting choices, thrown if you will, by them. In short, comic book movies must be cast perfectly, with no surprises, gender changes, nationality changes, or immersion killing differences in appearance from the character they are playing. For example, Doc Strange looks the part as played by Benedict Cumberbatch, because he has the face for it and the wardrobe people nailed the living heck out of it with his costume. Tilda Swinton however? Not so much. Don't get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with her performance, apart from the fact that she is the one delivering it, and not someone more appropriate and similar to the individual referred to from the actual comic book.

Lets use another Marvel related example, but this time of someone who was quite literally born to play a role they were cast in. Wolverine... Hugh Jackman is a fantastic actor, regardless of his appearance, but his appearance, the jaw shape, ratio of jaw to nostril, nostril to eyebrow, every single characteristic he has facially, and many of his other measurements (aside perhaps, from height, because as those in the know are aware, Wolverine is famously smaller than many other X-Men, with a running joke being that he is in the "small but angry" category), make him the absolutely perfect fit for the role of Wolverine, one which he has faithfully and brilliantly portrayed, even when having to deal with some awful scripts, and even a production house that failed to understand the character well enough to shoot a movie with an appropriate age rating (FYI-If Wolverine is the lead character, then your movie cannot be rated twelve at all, and probably should think about leaving 15 out too, heading straight for eighteen instead, because Wolverine does not play with My Little Pony in his spare time. He guts things. Its brutal, not appropriate for the kids).

Even with some of the most trying lack of support from scripting and production, even when the directors brain was on leave while production was underway, Jackman did a great job, and looked the part doing it. His performances were amazing in their own right, but the experience of watching him deliver them was all the more intense, because the immersion, the suspension of disbelief necessary to accept, for the duration of the movie, that Wolverine is a real guy, because there he is in flesh and blood, leaping claws first into that chest cavity, was SPECTACULAR! There was barely a thing in any of his scenes, which made me even double take back into reality, precisely because he was perfectly cast.

Casting is next door to everything. Getting the right actors, to play the right roles, is CRUCIAL, and in the case of comic book movies, absolutely paramount to an even greater degree. Comic books are a visual art form, absorbed through the eye. You want to impress the comic book fans, then give them the same immersion they get from the fantasy world in their comic books, but on screen! There is no NEED to change things up, to alter things, to re-write storylines much loved and much respected by the fans. Its literally only a matter of copying and pasting the damned scripts, dialogues, and getting the casting right. Making comic book movies SHOULD be easy, and its a damned sight easier than some producers, casting directors and directors in general, have made it look. The ease of making a movie which draws the crowds and wows the die hards, comes of casting it perfectly before anything the hell else happens, and changing next door to nothing about the characters themselves, which means casting according to the law laid down in decades of comic book history, not pissing in the God damned punch.

If its in ink, its the damned law already, and these movie people need to learn that they are not beholden only to their will, but to the law written down already by personages far more talented than they will ever be, more often than not, decades before these jumped up directors and douchebag producers were ever born.
edit on 29-8-2017 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join